There needs to be small Android phone...

Kuldip Wagh

Oct 5, 2017
Visit site
1. Samsung OneUI has become much better, cleaner now.
2. Samsung should make a phone with ~5.5 inch phone with the form factor comparable to I phone 12 mini. because 6 inches is still bigger.
The users will be less in compared to big size phones, but its essential for those who wants.
3. And battery will play a key role in design of such phone. It should be at least one day.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I’ve moved your thread to General News & Discussion, which I think is the best place for it.

I don’t know about Samsung, but yes, small high-spec Android phones from that manufacturer or any other would be welcome.

cknobman

May 15, 2018
Visit site
I moved from a Note phone to the standard S20.

While not "small" in the traditional sense it can be considered on the smaller size for todays phones.

I love it and wont be going back to the huge phones.
I really appreciate not having a phone so big it wont fit comfortably in my jeans or I cannot use it one handed.
In the past getting a huge phone meant getting a phone with good battery life but I feel like technology has progressed enough to make that point not as important.

With my S20 I still get at least a full day of battery life which is what matters to me.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Sony Xperia XZ2 has a 5" screen.
Palm Phone has a 3.3" screen.
Unihertz Atom XL has a 4" screen.
Google Pixel 4a has a 5.8" screen.

I can get four days on a full charge of my phone but I don't play games, don't watch music videos, don't watch movies, and don't do social media.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Yes, the Pixel 4a just about hits that mark.

My belief is that any small Android phone will be an economy offering. No flagship specs like the Apple mini. Just don't think there's a market for a small flagship in the android ecosystem.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
1. Samsung OneUI has become much better, cleaner now.
2. Samsung should make a phone with ~5.5 inch phone with the form factor comparable to I phone 12 mini. because 6 inches is still bigger.
The users will be less in compared to big size phones, but its essential for those who wants.
3. And battery will play a key role in design of such phone. It should be at least one day.

Welcome to Android Central!!!! Post early and post often…..

If there’s a need for something, the free market system delivers it

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I remember when a 5.5" screen was a phablet and people mocked me for using a phone that big. Things sure do change with time. Lol

oldDummy

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
my pixel 5 bricked, 4a is almost the same size but seems smaller.

No complaints regarding the Pixel 4a.
Nice phone.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
And didn't the iPhone SE 2 sales also not meet expectations? I too would really love a smaller phone.

Yes but using old components so much lower definition of success. I would look at the iPhone 12 Mini and it's lowered production as sign that smaller phones aren't desired as much as people think.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes but using old components so much lower definition of success. I would look at the iPhone 12 Mini and it's lowered production as sign that smaller phones aren't desired as much as people think.

It's definitely a small (pun intended) market for that specific type of device, that is for sure!

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
It's definitely a small (pun intended) market for that specific type of device, that is for sure!
Small, and likely unprofitable, unfortunately, for those of us that like smaller phones. I am in the process of downsizing (LOL) from a OnePlus 8 to a Galaxy S21. It's about the same size as my old Nexus 5X, which was as high as I ever liked carrying. I think that's still a good amount bigger than the iPhone 12 mini.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
Blackberry Z10 used to be a great "good size" for me. It used to be I couldn't imagine carrying something bigger. I now appreciate the size of my Samsung A21, with my age/eye-sight not getting better. In my opinion it all depends on what one uses the phone for, in terms of optimal size. The Z10 would still work great for me for calls and text/short messaging. Even with its awesome virtual keyboard however, it just starts to get less "good" for me now in terms of size, for emails and anything else. For me the larger "real-estate" on the A21 for example just makes life easier. I don't care for the size of the A21 in terms of carrying it around however. It is just way more awkward. Lots of things that still don't work better for me on the A21 vs the Z10 also. However, that's a different topic.

Last edited:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Small, and likely unprofitable, unfortunately, for those of us that like smaller phones. I am in the process of downsizing (LOL) from a OnePlus 8 to a Galaxy S21. It's about the same size as my old Nexus 5X, which was as high as I ever liked carrying. I think that's still a good amount bigger than the iPhone 12 mini.

LOOL at "downsizing"! I totally get what you mean. And you are right about the lack of profitability. Even though there *is* a market for smaller smartphones, we're not nearly as big as the market who wants bigger phones - or phablets, IMO!

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I just got a refurb iPhone 8 plus to replace and iPhone 7 as o found the screen too small for me. I just couldn't read properly on it. The 8 plus has a 5.5" screen and it is a lovely size to read on. I still prefer the size of my S10+ and 4a 5G at 6.2" and yet the 3 phones are exactly the same physical size. The iPhone has huge bezels (which I prefer over they ghastly notch on the newer iPhones).

jlarkins08

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
This is actually one of the reasons I purchased the iPhone 12 mini. There are no decent Android compact flagships out there. I don’t want to compromise size over functionality. Google tried to keep a compact flagship but after the Pixel 4, I feel like like they gave up on flagships overall. So I decided to give Apple a shot!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
This is actually one of the reasons I purchased the iPhone 12 mini. There are no decent Android compact flagships out there. I don’t want to compromise size over functionality. Google tried to keep a compact flagship but after the Pixel 4, I feel like like they gave up on flagships overall. So I decided to give Apple a shot!

How are you liking the iPhone 12 Mini? It looks cute and super functional! Reminds me of how I liked the iPhone SE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2