Angry about Google blocking movies on rooted devices?

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Supercurio (the developer responsible for Voodoo sound/color on many devices) has started a thread in the Market help forums for us to voice our opinions on this subject. Go here, and let Google know how you feel about this. (Also, read his post. He brings up some great points about how pointless this security is).

Rooted devices blacklisting by Google movies is not acceptable - Android Market Help

I have no idea how much good this will do, but it's worth a try. Google needs to know that punishing the many for the actions of a few is unacceptable.

Benny879

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Looks like there's already a work around for watching rentals on rooted phones. You'll see links tomorrow. Its all over twitter.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
This is just another form of DRM, and like all forms of DRM it is completely ineffective at stopping piracy and serves only to punish legitimate users who have done nothing wrong. I'm angry at the MPAA for pressuring Google to do this, and at Google for giving in to them. I've said before that I don't actually intend to ever rent movies from the Market (though that will likely change when/if I get a tablet) but that isn't the point. As a root user I hate it when root users are targeted and punished for the entirely legal action of rooting they're devices. Oh well. There is already a workaround, and hopefully Google will rethink things in the future (though I'm not counting on it).

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I would rent a movie if it was in the theater or a live event like on ppv. I have has direct TV for 12-14 years and I think I have rentex 3-4 movies in that time and 2-3 of them were the kids renting them when I was not home.

nfalbo

Sep 24, 2010
twitter.com
Don't be mad at Google. This was a MPAA and movie studio requirement for Google to offer movie rentals. When you really think about it people who don't root or even know what root is far outweigh us who do root our phones. Google like every other company wants to make the majority happy. We all must stop thinking about this like everyone roots their phone because we are a very small portion of the Android pie. If you were the CEO of a company and the only way to make money was to piss off a small portion of users and make the larger portion happy you would be a bad CEO if you didn't. Google needs to make money so that they can keep giving us Android. Sorry to sound harsh but remember we are the minority, we are not the core users.