What is your favorite device?

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
HP(Palm) Pre3 just edges out the Pre2. Bigger screen, higher res, wonderful physical keyboard. I used a Pre2 as my daily driver for years. I couldn’t use the Pre3 as my daily because it wasn’t supported by my carrier, so it was always a secondary device, but I still have and love them. Long live webOS!
Honorable mention to my BB KEYOne, which was unfortunately too memory constrained and drove me nuts trying to use Google Maps navigation in the car. Notice a pattern? My favorite devices all had physical keyboards. Sigh.

I guess I didn't really follow the rules, but honestly I just don't love any Android device. I used several (and an iPhone 5) during the time a Pre or Pre2 were my daily drivers, but I always got frustrated with them and went back. Unfortunately so little beyond basic telephony and sms still works on webOS, that it's just not very useful as a primary device any more. The one Android device that I never had any real complaints about was my first Nexus 5X that I used until it bootlooped on me. I still think it had the best photo quality of any Android phone I've ever owned. A zoom lens would have made it perfect. I eventually activated its replacement, but performance after the Android 7 update was disappointing, so now it mostly collects dust and serves as a backup device when traveling.

Last edited:

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
HP(Palm) Pre3 just edges out the Pre2. Bigger screen, higher res, wonderful physical keyboard. I used a Pre2 as my daily driver for years. I couldn’t use the Pre3 as my daily because it wasn’t supported by my carrier, so it was always a secondary device, but I still have and love them. Long live webOS!
Honorable mention to my BB KEYOne, which was unfortunately too memory constrained and drove me nuts trying to use Google Maps navigation in the car. Notice a pattern? My favorite devices all had physical keyboards. Sigh.

I guess I didn't really follow the rules, but honestly I just don't love any Android device. I used several (and an iPhone 5) during the time a Pre or Pre2 were my daily drivers, but I always got frustrated with them and went back. Unfortunately so little beyond basic telephony and sms still works on webOS, that it's just not very useful as a primary device any more. The one Android device that I never had any real complaints about was my first Nexus 5X that I used until it bootlooped on me. I still think it had the best photo quality of any Android phone I've ever owned. A zoom lens would have made it perfect. I eventually activated its replacement, but performance after the Android 7 update was disappointing, so now it mostly collects dust and serves as a backup device when traveling.

I miss webOS, too. And Maemo, which I still use with my Nokia N900 occasionally. My big problem, though, is that I have all the 3 Palm Pres versions and that tiny and incredible beautiful Veer, but cannot use it anymore since they are all blocked by the end of the network HP made for them. I would love to be able to, at least, turn them on again.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I miss webOS, too. And Maemo, which I still use with my Nokia N900 occasionally. My big problem, though, is that I have all the 3 Palm Pres versions and that tiny and incredible beautiful Veer, but cannot use it anymore since they are all blocked by the end of the network HP made for them. I would love to be able to, at least, turn them on again.

It's sad when you have a device (or devices) you really liked, it's still running fine, and you'd like to use it just for the pleasant nostalgic feelings it brings back, but the service it relies on is no longer around. Almost like an electronic death in the family :-\

Turn them on, scroll around a little, push some buttons and get your quick fix is about all you can do ;)

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Ah, the physical keyboard days... I do miss those! I still think I type better on a physical keyboard than a virtual one. Did you see the rumoured BlackBerry specs for a "next generation" physical keyboard? It looks pretty awesome!

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
Ah, the physical keyboard days... I do miss those! I still think I type better on a physical keyboard than a virtual one. Did you see the rumoured BlackBerry specs for a "next generation" physical keyboard? It looks pretty awesome!
Hopefully that thing will make it to market...Seems to be primarily an enterprise device, we'll see what form factor they come up with.

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site

You can absolutely still use them to tinker, though much is broken. There are tools to fix some of that. I can't find the how-to article right now, but it sounds like you need to run the activation bypass tool. You're stuck at the activate device screen right?

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
You can absolutely still use them to tinker, though much is broken. There are tools to fix some of that. I can't find the how-to article right now, but it sounds like you need to run the activation bypass tool. You're stuck at the activate device screen right?

Exactly. I cannot even activate my devices…

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. I cannot even activate my devices…
How tech savvy are you? These instructions should get it up and running, though the Veer would have different instructions for getting into recovery mode. I always have to do a Google search, because I can never remember how on the Veer, and it has been years since I did it. I've used the devicetool jar many times over the years. If you need help, head over to the webosnation.com forums or pm me here or there.

http://www.webosarchive.com/docs/activate/

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully that thing will make it to market...Seems to be primarily an enterprise device, we'll see what form factor they come up with.

Yes, I hope so, too! I'd love to see it being sold and, dare I say it, I'd love to be able to hold it in my hands!

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
Yes, I hope so, too! I'd love to see it being sold and, dare I say it, I'd love to be able to hold it in my hands!
I'm also curious about the Unihertz Titan Pocket (which I backed on KS), the Astro Slide, the F(x) Tec Pro 1-X, the Z Fold 3, the next Razr, etc...

Well, you guessed it, anything that's not "yet another slab" has my attention.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm also curious about the Unihertz Titan Pocket (which I backed on KS), the Astro Slide, the F(x) Tec Pro 1-X, the Z Fold 3, the next Razr, etc...

Well, you guessed it, anything that's not "yet another slab" has my attention.

I'm also really excited to see what the new RAZR has to offer!