Interesting poll results

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, none of these types of polls have ever translated to sales. BlackBerry users want high-end specs but are unwilling to pay for those. They tend to hang on to obsolete and unsupported hardware for years past its support, since they are unwilling to spend the money for new devices. This lack of sales is what killed the previous licensee's offerings. I doubt if the majority of users who are interested in physical keyboards on phones will actually pay over $1k for these Onward Mobility products if the company ever produces them.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
The problem is they give us midrange specs and ****ty cameras for flagship prices.
The KEY2 was upper mid range priced at $650, flagships of that time already exceeded the $800 range.

But either way one had to want the keyboard, even if it had been priced at $499.

People these days are paying flagship prices for phones that provide an experience barely different than upper midrangers.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
Unfortunately, none of these types of polls have ever translated to sales. BlackBerry users want high-end specs but are unwilling to pay for those. They tend to hang on to obsolete and unsupported hardware for years past its support, since they are unwilling to spend the money for new devices. This lack of sales is what killed the previous licensee's offerings. I doubt if the majority of users who are interested in physical keyboards on phones will actually pay over $1k for these Onward Mobility products if the company ever produces them.
I fully agree with you that BB/Keyboard fans need to pay up full price at launch to truly support the endangered form factor.

Buying a used 5 year old BlackBerry Classic for $40 on eBay and claiming to be a huge fan doesn't help anyone.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
The KEY2 was upper mid range priced at $650, flagships of that time already exceeded the $800 range.

But either way one had to want the keyboard, even if it had been priced at $499.

People these days are paying flagship prices for phones that provide an experience barely different than upper midrangers.

I never got the chance to use a Blackberries physical keyboard, it has a lot of fans....wish I could have found out for myself what it was like :p

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
I never got the chance to use a Blackberries physical keyboard, it has a lot of fans....wish I could have found out for myself what it was like :p
It's never too late...though right now, usable options are limited until the new one is released.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

You and The Boon make a lot of sense. It's unfortunate but if BlackBerry fans want those products, they may have to pay top dollar.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
You and The Boon make a lot of sense. It's unfortunate but if BlackBerry fans want those products, they may have to pay top dollar.
I'll pay whatever they ask regardless because I strongly believe that the overall keyboard experience is well worth it (I wouldn't use any slab even if given to me for free).

But there aren't enough like me, so it's up to OM to bring an overall package that appeals to former BB users as well. And aside from a slider or a slab that comes with a clip-on keyboard in the box, I don't really see another way to achieve that if people must MUST have their "precious full screen real estate".

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I'll pay whatever they ask regardless because I strongly believe that the overall keyboard experience is well worth it (I wouldn't use any slab even if given to me for free).

But there aren't enough like me, so it's up to OM to bring an overall package that appeals to former BB users as well. And aside from a slider or a slab that comes with a clip-on keyboard in the box, I don't really see another way to achieve that if people must MUST have their "precious full screen real estate".

Hey Boon, good to hear from you! I’m sure you’re excited about the news.

I’ll still say what I’ve always said, make it $500 or less and you might get some decent sales. I would probably get one and give it a chance. I currently have a Pixel 4a, a very capable modern phone for $349. The BB phone has to compete with the likes of that.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
Hey Boon, good to hear from you! I’m sure you’re excited about the news.

I’ll still say what I’ve always said, make it $500 or less and you might get some decent sales. I would probably get one and give it a chance. I currently have a Pixel 4a, a very capable modern phone for $349. The BB phone has to compete with the likes of that.
The KEY2 LE launched at $399 for 32GB, and $449 for the 64GB. And apparently those still didn't sell well enough for TCL to continue...

I don't know what the magic sauce would be, but something tells me it's gotta be a slider or add-on keyboard.

Never used BB so question do you get accidental touches in your pocket since the keyboard exposed?

Never an issue. On the DroidBerry's, key presses do nothing when the screen is off and phone is locked.
On the BB10 phones, pressing U and then Enter would unlock the phone, or take you to the "Enter PIN/Password" screen. But the chances of those two keys being accidentally pressed in that order is pretty much inexistent lol.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The KEY2 LE launched at $399 for 32GB, and $449 for the 64GB. And apparently those still didn't sell well enough for TCL to continue...

I don't know what the magic sauce would be, but something tells me it's gotta be a slider or add-on keyboard.

Never an issue. On the DroidBerry's, key presses do nothing when the screen is off and phone is locked.
On the BB10 phones, pressing U and then Enter would unlock the phone, or take you to the "Enter PIN/Password" screen. But the chances of those two keys being accidentally pressed in that order is pretty much inexistent lol.
Thanks

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

They need to come up with 128gb at a similar price point.

Slider? No way!

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
They need to come up with 128gb at a similar price point.

Slider? No way!
I don't think the LE having 128GB would have helped much honestly.

Some people hate sliders, but if most people want their full screen above all else, how do you provide both? (Aside from clip-on keyboard).

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Never used BB so question do you get accidental touches in your pocket since the keyboard exposed?

I don't think I ever did on my BlackBerry devices. My Q10 had double tap to wake with security PIN, so I guess it take a lot for it to be accidentally bumped around. But my phones are always in my purse and never in my pocket, so I guess I never really had accidental touch problems on my phones.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

OMGOSH a slider! I'd be there!

I definitely get what you're saying. As one user and buyer, you can only do so much!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis