08-09-2021 04:44 PM
63 123
tools
    07-30-2021 01:32 PM
    Yes very. Blackberry's were fabulous phones.
    jhilker and 1raygin like this.
    07-30-2021 01:51 PM
    Yes very. Blackberry's were fabulous phones.
    Hopefully OM can turn "were" into "are", though TCL did make a decent effort with their KEYBerry's.
    jhilker likes this.
    07-30-2021 01:53 PM
    This is so awesome! I'd love to see a 5G BlackBerry come to the market!
    07-31-2021 02:50 PM
    Unfortunately, none of these types of polls have ever translated to sales. BlackBerry users want high-end specs but are unwilling to pay for those. They tend to hang on to obsolete and unsupported hardware for years past its support, since they are unwilling to spend the money for new devices. This lack of sales is what killed the previous licensee's offerings. I doubt if the majority of users who are interested in physical keyboards on phones will actually pay over $1k for these Onward Mobility products if the company ever produces them.
    07-31-2021 04:10 PM
    The problem is they give us midrange specs and ****ty cameras for flagship prices.
    07-31-2021 05:52 PM
    The problem is they give us midrange specs and ****ty cameras for flagship prices.
    The KEY2 was upper mid range priced at $650, flagships of that time already exceeded the $800 range.

But either way one had to want the keyboard, even if it had been priced at $499.

People these days are paying flagship prices for phones that provide an experience barely different than upper midrangers.
    07-31-2021 09:23 PM
    Unfortunately, none of these types of polls have ever translated to sales. BlackBerry users want high-end specs but are unwilling to pay for those. They tend to hang on to obsolete and unsupported hardware for years past its support, since they are unwilling to spend the money for new devices. This lack of sales is what killed the previous licensee's offerings. I doubt if the majority of users who are interested in physical keyboards on phones will actually pay over $1k for these Onward Mobility products if the company ever produces them.
    I fully agree with you that BB/Keyboard fans need to pay up full price at launch to truly support the endangered form factor.

Buying a used 5 year old BlackBerry Classic for $40 on eBay and claiming to be a huge fan doesn't help anyone.
    07-31-2021 09:25 PM
    The KEY2 was upper mid range priced at $650, flagships of that time already exceeded the $800 range.

But either way one had to want the keyboard, even if it had been priced at $499.

People these days are paying flagship prices for phones that provide an experience barely different than upper midrangers.
    I never got the chance to use a Blackberries physical keyboard, it has a lot of fans....wish I could have found out for myself what it was like
    08-01-2021 10:42 AM
    I never got the chance to use a Blackberries physical keyboard, it has a lot of fans....wish I could have found out for myself what it was like
    It's never too late...though right now, usable options are limited until the new one is released.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    08-01-2021 03:31 PM
    You and The Boon make a lot of sense. It's unfortunate but if BlackBerry fans want those products, they may have to pay top dollar.
    Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    08-01-2021 04:14 PM
    You and The Boon make a lot of sense. It's unfortunate but if BlackBerry fans want those products, they may have to pay top dollar.
    I'll pay whatever they ask regardless because I strongly believe that the overall keyboard experience is well worth it (I wouldn't use any slab even if given to me for free).

But there aren't enough like me, so it's up to OM to bring an overall package that appeals to former BB users as well. And aside from a slider or a slab that comes with a clip-on keyboard in the box, I don't really see another way to achieve that if people must MUST have their "precious full screen real estate".
    Laura Knotek and Morty2264 like this.
    08-01-2021 07:06 PM
    I'll pay whatever they ask regardless because I strongly believe that the overall keyboard experience is well worth it (I wouldn't use any slab even if given to me for free).

But there aren't enough like me, so it's up to OM to bring an overall package that appeals to former BB users as well. And aside from a slider or a slab that comes with a clip-on keyboard in the box, I don't really see another way to achieve that if people must MUST have their "precious full screen real estate".
    Hey Boon, good to hear from you! I’m sure you’re excited about the news.

I’ll still say what I’ve always said, make it $500 or less and you might get some decent sales. I would probably get one and give it a chance. I currently have a Pixel 4a, a very capable modern phone for $349. The BB phone has to compete with the likes of that.
    Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    08-01-2021 08:12 PM
    Never used BB so question do you get accidental touches in your pocket since the keyboard exposed?
    Morty2264 likes this.
    08-01-2021 08:51 PM
    Hey Boon, good to hear from you! I’m sure you’re excited about the news.

I’ll still say what I’ve always said, make it $500 or less and you might get some decent sales. I would probably get one and give it a chance. I currently have a Pixel 4a, a very capable modern phone for $349. The BB phone has to compete with the likes of that.
    The KEY2 LE launched at $399 for 32GB, and $449 for the 64GB. And apparently those still didn't sell well enough for TCL to continue...

I don't know what the magic sauce would be, but something tells me it's gotta be a slider or add-on keyboard.

Never used BB so question do you get accidental touches in your pocket since the keyboard exposed?
    Never an issue. On the DroidBerry's, key presses do nothing when the screen is off and phone is locked.
    On the BB10 phones, pressing U and then Enter would unlock the phone, or take you to the "Enter PIN/Password" screen. But the chances of those two keys being accidentally pressed in that order is pretty much inexistent lol.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    08-01-2021 08:51 PM
    The KEY2 LE launched at $399 for 32GB, and $449 for the 64GB. And apparently those still didn't sell well enough for TCL to continue...

I don't know what the magic sauce would be, but something tells me it's gotta be a slider or add-on keyboard.

Never an issue. On the DroidBerry's, key presses do nothing when the screen is off and phone is locked.
    On the BB10 phones, pressing U and then Enter would unlock the phone, or take you to the "Enter PIN/Password" screen. But the chances of those two keys being accidentally pressed in that order is pretty much inexistent lol.
    Thanks
    08-01-2021 08:55 PM

They need to come up with 128gb at a similar price point.

Slider? No way!
    08-01-2021 11:11 PM
    They need to come up with 128gb at a similar price point.

Slider? No way!
    I don't think the LE having 128GB would have helped much honestly.

Some people hate sliders, but if most people want their full screen above all else, how do you provide both? (Aside from clip-on keyboard).
    08-02-2021 08:16 AM
    I don't think I ever did on my BlackBerry devices. My Q10 had double tap to wake with security PIN, so I guess it take a lot for it to be accidentally bumped around. But my phones are always in my purse and never in my pocket, so I guess I never really had accidental touch problems on my phones.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    08-02-2021 10:21 PM

OMGOSH a slider! I'd be there!

I definitely get what you're saying. As one user and buyer, you can only do so much!
    08-02-2021 10:22 PM
    OMGOSH a slider! I'd be there!

I definitely get what you're saying. As one user and buyer, you can only do so much!
    If I really wanted it my way, I'd want a new BB Classic.

But since I want the thing to succeed and find its place in this (stale) market, I'd prefer to give up on my personal preferred form factor for the good of the keyboard in general.

What I'm trying to say is that it's better to have a successful slider every year or two, whose keyboard provides a 7/10 experience, than a one-hit-wonder 10/10 perfection that sees no successor because too little people wanted a smaller screen.
    Morty2264 and J Dubbs like this.
    08-02-2021 10:39 PM

But since I want the thing to succeed and find its place in this (stale) market, I'd prefer to give up on my personal preferred form factor for the good of the keyboard in general.

What I'm trying to say is that it's better to have a successful slider every year or two, whose keyboard provides a 7/10 experience, than a one-hit-wonder 10/10 perfection that sees no successor because too little people wanted a smaller screen.
    Price will be the deciding factor, despite what design it comes in. I just don't want to spend a load of money on any smartphone any more.
    Laura Knotek, J Dubbs and aximtreo like this.
    08-02-2021 11:30 PM

I totally agree with your analogy. And I'd always wanted to try a BlackBerry Torch - but that never happened. If I can at least *hold* a BlackBerry slider phone in my hand, I'd be fulfilling one of my phone dreams!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-03-2021 07:07 AM
    I totally agree with your analogy. And I'd always wanted to try a BlackBerry Torch - but that never happened. If I can at least *hold* a BlackBerry slider phone in my hand, I'd be fulfilling one of my phone dreams!
    Well if that's all, you can fulfill that dream by buying some $90 BB Priv on eBay lol
    Morty2264 likes this.
    08-03-2021 09:06 PM
    Price will be the deciding factor, despite what design it comes in. I just don't want to spend a load of money on any smartphone any more.
    I think different people have different ideas of "load of money".

The thing with today's slabs is that a $1000 flagship doesn't seem to provide that big of a difference in the overall experience, than a $400 midrange does.

I'd want a device that changes the way I use my phone. One that feels interesting/different to use all the time, not just during a two-week "honeymoon" period after unboxing. No slab could provide that.

What are your thoughts on the Titan Pocket?
    J Dubbs likes this.
    08-03-2021 09:10 PM
63 123