10-06-2021 01:56 PM
49 12
tools
    The funniest thing about this is charging cables (due to innovation) will no longer be necessary soon because it will be wireless, RF or perhaps even infrared (innovation). Unless we want to tell them what to do and accept using wires forever.
    That's debatable. Wireless charging is horribly inefficient, with a lot of power discharged as wasted heat. That means more emissions generated to fill a battery the same amount as wired charging.
    09-24-2021 08:33 PM
    That's debatable. Wireless charging is horribly inefficient, with a lot of power discharged as wasted heat. That means more emissions generated to fill a battery the same amount as wired charging.
    Sure, now, but as with most things it will improve. That’s the whole point I’m trying to make. We shouldn’t suppress innovation. I grew up with a two-party hardwired telephone line in my house. I couldn’t have imagined where we would be today.
    09-24-2021 08:41 PM
    Never thought USB-c cables would get this much attention lol
    And you thought it was just a wire!
    mustang7757 likes this.
    09-24-2021 08:41 PM
    And you thought it was just a wire!
    09-24-2021 08:51 PM
    Sure, now, but as with most things it will improve. That’s the whole point I’m trying to make. We shouldn’t suppress innovation. I grew up with a two-party hardwired telephone line in my house. I couldn’t have imagined where we would be today.
    But that hardwire line had a standardized connection for the telephone. No one complained about that somehow stifling innovation then.

In fact, how about some innovations that used that connection - facsimiles (fax machines), dial-up modems for internet access, and DSL.

It also didn't hinder further development of the phone itself, from cordless to eventually... cell phones.
    09-24-2021 09:20 PM
    Let me clarify, for me, only my position better. I'm against the government interference because the product and company has never been standardized not for many years in the beginning, mainstream.

Apple, literally in the late 90s, almost went under due to it's non-conformist business model right down to OS at time. At time of the iPhone original introduction, everything was different, just like all other products. You even had to choose exclusive carriers. Nobody forced anyone to choose the product or it's limited ecosystem.

If the company didn't succeed, it would have been 80's-90's all over. If you don't like it's exclusivity and snobbish attitude, don't buy it. What's next? It's priced too high?
    09-24-2021 09:41 PM
    But that hardwire line had a standardized connection for the telephone. No one complained about that somehow stifling innovation then.

In fact, how about some innovations that used that connection - facsimiles (fax machines), dial-up modems for internet access, and DSL.

It also didn't hinder further development of the phone itself, from cordless to eventually... cell phones.
    All good points but those were different times. There was a monopoly over the telephone industry for almost 100 years: Bell. There was no competition to drive innovation or different systems. It wasn’t until competition arrived (Apple, BlackBerry, Nokia, etc) that our modern phones developed.
    09-24-2021 09:56 PM
    All good points but those were different times. There was a monopoly over the telephone industry for almost 100 years: Bell. There was no competition to drive innovation or different systems. It wasn’t until competition arrived (Apple, BlackBerry, Nokia, etc) that our modern phones developed.
    And I see it differently in that the named competition you mention above were not around when the innovations I mentioned were made - in spite of the monopoly.

Well, Nokia was around, but they only got into the telecom business in the mid '80s and mobile cell phones in '87

The first mobile phone was the Motorola in '73. The earliest commercialized fax over phone line dates back to '64. Modems over phone line dates back to the '20s. A version was developed by Bell Labs (AT&T) and started selling them to the public in '62. The more modern PC modem (remember the Hayes Modems of the 80s and 90s?) was developed by a couple of hardware guys for the Apple II in '77 and for the PC in '81.

All that innovation before AT&T was broken up in '84. That standardized connection didn't seem to stifle anything.

Look, my point is more about how trying to standardize a simple connector is so irrelevant to any idea of holding back innovation. To me, standardizing interconnectivity with all kinds of devices actually drives innovation. Locking down a device by one manufacturer so that you can only buy specific accessories, effectively sanctioned by that manufacturer through licensing fees, actually is the innovation killer. So, basically, what the EU suggests would actually open up a few things. But Apple doesn't want that. They want to keep things (the money) to themselves. And I'm all for sticking it to Apple. I don't care if it's a Government that's doing it. If it makes it better for more people and frees up innovation, great.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    09-24-2021 11:11 PM
    And I see it differently in that the named competition you mention above were not around when the innovations I mentioned were made - in spite of the monopoly.

Well, Nokia was around, but they only got into the telecom business in the mid '80s and mobile cell phones in '87

The first mobile phone was the Motorola in '73. The earliest commercialized fax over phone line dates back to '64. Modems over phone line dates back to the '20s. A version was developed by Bell Labs (AT&T) and started selling them to the public in '62. The more modern PC modem (remember the Hayes Modems of the 80s and 90s?) was developed by a couple of hardware guys for the Apple II in '77 and for the PC in '81.

All that innovation before AT&T was broken up in '84. That standardized connection didn't seem to stifle anything.

Look, my point is more about how trying to standardize a simple connector is so irrelevant to any idea of holding back innovation. To me, standardizing interconnectivity with all kinds of devices actually drives innovation. Locking down a device by one manufacturer so that you can only buy specific accessories, effectively sanctioned by that manufacturer through licensing fees, actually is the innovation killer. So, basically, what the EU suggests would actually open up a few things. But Apple doesn't want that. They want to keep things (the money) to themselves. And I'm all for sticking it to Apple. I don't care if it's a Government that's doing it. If it makes it better for more people and frees up innovation, great.
    You guys both bring up good points
    09-25-2021 01:38 AM

I'm all for anything that stifles some of Apple's severely anti-consumer obscene greed
    dangerousfen likes this.
    09-25-2021 02:35 AM
    ...but if this standardization/regulation of phone chargers gets traction all over the world, from the perspective of government being able to successfully put their fingers into things, what might be next? Gun control?

Just in case someone is wondering, yes this is a sarcastic post.
    09-25-2021 08:43 AM
    ...but if this standardization/regulation of phone chargers gets traction all over the world, from the perspective of government being able to successfully put their fingers into things, what might be next? Gun control?

Just in case someone is wondering, yes this is a sarcastic post.
    Thankfully, I live in the safety of the USA still….
    09-25-2021 08:55 AM
    USB C is basically similar to a female Lightning connector.
    09-25-2021 10:14 AM
    USB C is basically similar to a female Lightning connector.
    But I thought EU supported all gender identities, of connectors.
    09-26-2021 02:10 PM
    This is simply government overreach. Let the markets decide what they want.
    The EU flexing again. Why I voted Brexit.
    09-26-2021 02:57 PM
    Im curious if EU wins would apple only do USB-C in that region and stay with lighting connector in the US .
    09-26-2021 07:37 PM
    Im curious if EU wins would apple only do USB-C in that region and stay with lighting connector in the US .
    That would increase production costs and I'm not sure what they would gain by doing so.
    09-26-2021 11:55 PM
    That would increase production costs and I'm not sure what they would gain by doing so.
    Probably right .
    09-27-2021 12:21 AM
    Probably right .
    I agree. If they were to segregate to regions, it would mean that Apple would need two runs of each device. One with their Lightning innards and one with the USB bus and connector on the board.

Unless Apple has been lying all these years and Lightning is really just USB with a custom connector.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    09-27-2021 01:42 AM
    I agree. If they were to segregate to regions, it would mean that Apple would need two runs of each device. One with their Lightning innards and one with the USB bus and connector on the board.

Unless Apple has been lying all these years and Lightning is really just USB with a custom connector.
    Apple Never lies
    J Dubbs likes this.
    09-27-2021 02:21 AM
    Apple Never lies
    "Said the snake to Eve"
    J Dubbs likes this.
    10-03-2021 03:53 PM
    "Said the snake to Eve"
    Lol
    10-03-2021 04:07 PM
    Last time I went on vacation I was using an iPad pro and an iPhone 12. This of course was before switching to Android. I realized when I got settled into my hotel room that I forgot my iPhone charging cable and only brought the USB c cord. I remember how angry I was at myself and asking the question, and not for the first time "how the heck can apple have two freakin charging cables for their products? Why can they not just use one, the USB c cord?!"

All I can say is, what a hassle it is to carry around 2 charging cables. Now when I go on vacation, I take the one cable since I use the s21 ultra. So much simpler.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    10-06-2021 09:48 AM
    I have a roll of different leads and adapters which I normally keep in my work bag: Mini-USB, Micro-USB, USB-C, a couple of USB 5V cables with proprietary tips, USB-A / Car adaptors and a USB power bank. One handy little thing I can take with me when I am away from home.
    10-06-2021 01:56 PM
49 12