11-13-2021 07:31 AM
63 123
tools
    Normally try and get my phone on a discount. My S10+ was £699 2 weeks before the S20 line was announced. It was £1200 ceramic white version so I grabbed one interest free. My 4a 5G was £399 on Valentines Day sale so I saved £100 on that.

But I will pay full price for my Pixel 6 Pro, just not till the New Year.
    Morty2264 and J Dubbs like this.
    10-17-2021 09:42 AM
    Normally try and get my phone on a discount. My S10+ was £699 2 weeks before the S20 line was announced. It was £1200 ceramic white version so I grabbed one interest free. My 4a 5G was £399 on Valentines Day sale so I saved £100 on that.

But I will pay full price for my Pixel 6 Pro, just not till the New Year.
    Sometimes you gotta treat yourself! Though I love your strategy!
    J Dubbs likes this.
    10-17-2021 11:19 AM
    I've never paid more than $380 for a phone, only buy new, only buy flagships... just year and a half old+ flagships that aren't Apple or Samsung lol.
    This is a smart way to go. ^
    After trying a 4a, I’m sold on the “a” line that pixel offers. Very economical.
    J Dubbs and mrsmumbles like this.
    10-17-2021 01:09 PM
    I am such a technophile, its hard to save because I want to experience how far we’ve come.
    bkdodger2, J Dubbs and Morty2264 like this.
    10-17-2021 01:39 PM
    I am such a technophile, its hard to save because I want to experience how far we’ve come.
    It's hard to resist the temptation of the newest tech for sure. I picked up my Moto X Pure Edition when it was cutting edge...great phone
    But I still saved $100 on it with a promo sale . The modern phones are so good now though, that even last year's flagships, or the year before, are more phone than I'll ever need. And when I pick them up cheap I have no financial obligation to hang onto them any longer than I want to, so I can switch up phones whenever I want, without feeling the financial pinch

I have to admit though, the 6 Pro is the first since my Moto X Pure that has me itching to buy it. But the $1000+ price tag of the Pro is a lot more of a commitment than the $300 I paid for the Moto in 2015 .....times have changed lol.
    TgeekB and tadpoles like this.
    10-18-2021 03:56 AM
    I would say that pay more than $600 for a phone is a lot. If not looking for the most recent model, it is often possible to buy good phones for not so high price. I found unboxed Samsung Galaxy Note 9 for $600.
    $600 seems a bit much for a three year old Samsung flagship.

Swappa and eBay have some mint condition in the $300 range.

Well at least it's the last Samsung Note to have a headphone jack and notification LED.
    10-27-2021 08:42 PM
    Not to mention a device that is no longer getting software updates and is almost done getting security patches as well. 600 is way too much. The only way I can say it might be worth 600 is if the device is brand spanking new AND is also the 512GB/8GB ram version. Besides that, you can find the Note 9 much cheaper elsewhere. Samsung is selling them refurbished currently for 400.

You can also get it fairly priced on swappa in a broad range of conditions, some being mint for around the same price if not cheaper. The next step up, you can also get the Note 10+ for around 600 or cheaper which still getting software updates and patches and will be for quite awhile.
    10-28-2021 06:46 AM
    I used my govt stimulus money in part for my new Nokia flagship, the xr20. It's the most expensive mid range phone I've ever gotten. I love it! It's fast and snappy and I found out they plant 50 trees for every xr20 they sell. That's a nice little bonus. It's about 2 months after release when I bought it. It gets 3 OS updates and 4 years of security updates. It's 5G which I hope is future proof for awhile. I saw that it was cheaper from different vendors but at the time of the purchase it was at best about $550. On Amazon.
    11-11-2021 10:51 AM
    I was also going to buy a Zenfone 8 and a OnePlus 8 and a pixel 4a, but I didn't yet.
    11-11-2021 11:01 AM
    I used my govt stimulus money in part for my new Nokia flagship, the xr20. It's the most expensive mid range phone I've ever gotten. I love it! It's fast and snappy and I found out they plant 50 trees for every xr20 they sell. That's a nice little bonus. It's about 2 months after release when I bought it. It gets 3 OS updates and 4 years of security updates. It's 5G which I hope is future proof for awhile. I saw that it was cheaper from different vendors but at the time of the purchase it was at best about $550. On Amazon.
    I wouldn't have bought my Pixel 5 if I had known about the Nokia XR20. Coming from a Nokia Icon 929, that Zeiss camera would have sealed the deal for me. I've was really impressed with our 5-6 year old Nokia's Icon's and how well they held up.

I usually spend around 500 on a phone. I bought my Pixel 5, brand new in the box, for $500 shipped from someone on Mercari. Which is what I thought the phone was worth in the first place. I wouldn't have paid Googles MSRP for it. My wife's Pixel 5a5G came straight from Google. IMHO that phone is a deal at the retail price.
    mrsmumbles and J Dubbs like this.
    11-11-2021 12:05 PM
    I wouldn't have bought my Pixel 5 if I had known about the Nokia XR20. Coming from a Nokia Icon 929, that Zeiss camera would have sealed the deal for me. I've was really impressed with our 5-6 year old Nokia's Icon's and how well they held up.

I usually spend around 500 on a phone. I bought my Pixel 5, brand new in the box, for $500 shipped from someone on Mercari. Which is what I thought the phone was worth in the first place. I wouldn't have paid Googles MSRP for it. My wife's Pixel 5a5G came straight from Google. IMHO that phone is a deal at the retail price.
    Oops, I mis-spoke 3 OS updates instead of 3 years worth of updates. The security updates are 4 years worth. What sealed the deal for me is that Nokia still incorporates an optional micro SD slot. I still love that option. The Pixels still look good to me but they tend to be more expensive than I want to pay, except for the 4a 5G. The size of the xr20 would have put me off a few years ago but I don't mind it now. I barely use the camera, so I'm no judge of that.

This phone is better than my Nokia 6.1 which i loved until Cricket killed it for being 3G, if it actually was.
    beantownsouth likes this.
    11-11-2021 12:32 PM
    I always use the phones I had prior as trade ins if I can't sell it first, Samsung and Best Buy always have the best pricing as far as trade ins, and I always buy unlocked so that way if I can get a carrier deal for a byod that's decent I can also use that as an option to buy a device outright as well. it's all about knowing when to shop too, Samsung offers primo deals at launch, so does Best Buy. but they also offer amazing deals for events as well.
    11-11-2021 12:52 PM
    Hello all. I was wondering recently how much do you guys pay for your devices, and how do you purchase them?

I always finance my devices. I used to finance through my carrier, but now I generally use Samsung directly as it is much more hassle free with better trade-in prices. Regardless of the price, I don't have the kind of money that phones cost these days.
    I have been buying them outright. Last time I purchased Open Box because I really wanted this phone and can't justify this price lol ... without open box or with it.

Not paying per month, to a carrier. Ever.

Probably the last time I will pay this price.

Just imagine if we all had to buy phone, outright, how much we would help keep the cost down.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    11-13-2021 07:31 AM
63 123