Important PSA Facebook messenger virus

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
If you get this message from anyone DO NOT CLICK IT. It is a virus that hacks your account. I fell foul and have had to change my password and notify all the people who got that message not to click on it. Please pass this onto your Facebook friends
7dfd62913ac942a631781f3e6a2630c6.jpg

EnthalpiousKitten

Feb 24, 2021
Visit site
If you get this message from anyone DO NOT CLICK IT. It is a virus that hacks your account. I fell foul and have had to change my password and notify all the people who got that message not to click on it. Please pass this onto your Facebook friends //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211018/7dfd62913ac942a631781f3e6a2630c6.jpg
Probably some kind of browser exploit. I'm guess you're using Chrome like mostaverage Android users do. I will investigate this like I did with a message of similar nature I got. I know what I'm doing (everyone, please do not attempt yourself) so unless this malware can also escape a hypervisor I doubt I'll have issues.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Probably some kind of browser exploit. I'm guess you're using Chrome like mostaverage Android users do. I will investigate this like I did with a message of similar nature I got. I know what I'm doing (everyone, please do not attempt yourself) so unless this malware can also escape a hypervisor I doubt I'll have issues.

Thank you. How is college going?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
One of the giveaways is the odd clunky grammar. Can you imagine saying that to one of your fellow humans? "It is you who appears in this video!" instead of something like, "Hey, you're in this video!":p

EnthalpiousKitten

Feb 24, 2021
Visit site
One of the giveaways is the odd clunky grammar. Can you imagine saying that to one of your fellow humans? "It is you who appears in this video!" instead of something like, "Hey, you're in this video!":p
Oh yeah. Could likely be the usual Indian scammers, just evolving with text messages instead of calls thinking that their accent is all that gives them away. The language sounds oddly familiar after having binge watched Jim Browning and other scambaiters all summer.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I suspect this isn't a virus per se, but a phishing scheme. I expect the site it takes you do pretends to be Facebook related and asks for your login info. Once it gets that, they snoop and attempt to take over your account. If you get such messages, you can report them as a suspected hacking.

EnthalpiousKitten

Feb 24, 2021
Visit site
I suspect this isn't a virus per se, but a phishing scheme. I expect the site it takes you do pretends to be Facebook related and asks for your login info. Once it gets that, they snoop and attempt to take over your account. If you get such messages, you can report them as a suspected hacking.
Yeah I was thinking that too. Injecting a virus behind your back through a web page is borderline impossible even for the most experienced of hackers.