Need a non-slippery case for Pixel 5a, many cases use a harder plastic these days

xnote

Oct 25, 2021
Visit site
My previous case was a spigen for the note 4. The plastic was slightly rubbery, it had a bump-out textured surface, and the perimeter was narrowed a bit and had an edge. It was an ideal case:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MAWRQR6?tag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6996999
I have a pixel 5a now, and can't find a case that I find has sufficient grip. So far I've tried the spigen rugged armor and the caseology vault. It's a combination of the three factors that make them inferior in the grip department.
I could try the spigen liquid air armor but I don't think it'll be much better, there are comments stating that it's a harder plastic than the old cases etc.
I'd prefer to have a case that doesn't look like it fell out of an apache helicopter.
I resisted replacing my noble note 4 phones for many years, but both failed eventually. I am finding the pixel 5a to be a pretty fair replacement.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I moved this from the General News forum to the 5a forum for more specific traffic.

I was going to suggest the Spigen Rugged Armor case, since I have one for my Galaxy A32 5G and find the textured sides to help with grip a lot, but you mentioned you already tried it ...

xnote

Oct 25, 2021
Visit site
No problem, but I posted it to General because I have a feeling it's not really an issue that particularly pertains to the pixel 5a.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Good point -- but you might also get recommendations for cases that aren't made for the Pixel 5a either. For example, I was thinking of suggesting a case from Moment (the company that makes detachable lenses and the cases for them), but then saw that they don't make cases for the 5a (at least not yet).

If you much prefer it, I can move the thread back -- just let me know.

xnote

Oct 25, 2021
Visit site
Actually that's a good example of why posting to General might be a good idea. Your response means I can write to Moment and ask if they plan on a case for the Pixel 5a.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Actually that's a good example of why posting to General might be a good idea. Your response means I can write to Moment and ask if they plan on a case for the Pixel 5a.
Hi, welcome to AC!

Thats why it would be better off in the pixel 5a forums so those users can recommend a case for your device, some of the pixel 5a users might not go in the other forums and why we put them in correct one to get you the best help and suggestions.

xnote

Oct 25, 2021
Visit site
But as I mentioned, B Biddy's experience with a non-pixel 5a case has lead me to check out Moment, who does make a pixel 5 case. Likely I would not have gotten that input in the dedicated 5a forum.

xnote

Oct 25, 2021
Visit site
Thank you B. Diddy! Moment does make a pixel 5 case; I have been wondering if the cutouts etc for a pixel 5 would work well on a pixel 5a; does anyone know? And is that Moment case on the more rubbery side?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
But as I mentioned, B Biddy's experience with a non-pixel 5a case has lead me to check out Moment, who does make a pixel 5 case. Likely I would not have gotten that input in the dedicated 5a forum.
Cool just thought I let you know. Your choice .

beantownsouth

Dec 14, 2020
Visit site
Thank you B. Diddy! Moment does make a pixel 5 case; I have been wondering if the cutouts etc for a pixel 5 would work well on a pixel 5a; does anyone know? And is that Moment case on the more rubbery side?

xnote welcome to the forum. Gawd I'm gunna sound like a moron for asking this. You do know the P5 and P5a are different sized phones correct? So now that I made an azz outta myself. My wife finds the Spigen Rugged Armor having plenty of grip, We have the same Spigen on both, my P5 and her P5a. The back of the Moment case looks to have much more texture that the Spigen Rugged Armor. Good luck in your search!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Sorry, but the dimensions of both phones are completely different. Hopefully Moment will come out with a 5a case!

I can't speak directly about their Pixel 5 case, since it looks a little different than the ones I have for the 3a XL and 3 XL. But in general, the material they use has a nice soft-rubber feel, so it has a good amount of grippiness without feeling cheap.

xnote

Oct 25, 2021
Visit site
beantownsouth, thanks for your input, and I didn't know that, I've never seen a pixel 5, never read about it, and never saw a pixel 5a until the one I bought arrived. I'm not really into cell phones; but I am into not dropping them!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I recently got a Rustek case for my 6 Pro, and I love it. The real wood veneer looks and feels awesome, and contributes to the grippiness. In addition, there's a nice raised texture on the sides of the case that really help as well. They make cases for almost all Pixels, so check them out! Also, they have excellent customer service -- the first one they sent me had a slight bend in the lip, and when I emailed them and showed them a pic, they were very apologetic, and immediately sent a replacement, along with a prepaid return shipping label.

https://www.rustek.co/collections/google-cases/google-pixel-5a?sort_by=created-descending

Unfortunately, their site says all of the designs for the 5a are sold out, but if you enter your email on that site (or email their customer support), maybe they'll make one for you!

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
I have found that some companies are permanent "not available" or "sold-out" because they're simply not offering a 5a case due to limited sales offering scope.

That being said, at introduction, Spigen offered a choice of 5a cases and they're a reputable brand. While a bit harder, the cases seem to be tolerable and do the job.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois