What is everyone looking forward to most for phones in 2022?

atypicaluser

Mar 13, 2018
Visit site
I'm a phone enthusiast and was most excited about the Pixel 6 in 2021 because of what it meant for Android and its hardware + software capabilities. But what about 2022? What is everyone looking forward to most from Android phones, Android, or smartphones in general?

AI, AR, improved biometrics, camera performance, privacy, battery/charging, new form factors?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if it's possible for 2022, but I would like someone to add a feature to ignore data when having to reset the os. So you can do a factory reset without having to delete your data.

atypicaluser

Mar 13, 2018
Visit site
I don't know if it's possible for 2022, but I would like someone to add a feature to ignore data when having to reset the os. So you can do a factory reset without having to delete your data.

Interesting idea. Having more options about which data to keep and clear would be great. I'm all for any new features to make setting up a new phone less painful too.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So far I don't see anything worthy in 22 that could change but I'm good with my Fold 3, pixel 6 pro, Note 20u and 1+7 T pro mclaren.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I'd like to see that. Rumored foldable rolling phone where one side of the screen rolls into it. I think that would be really cool.. I don't think that's going to be for this year..

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
A flat IPS LCD screened, non-foldable phone, with a metal body (or possibly rubberized back plate), micro-SD card, removable battery, headphone jack, stereo speakers, top and bottom bezels, no notch, great manual camera controls, high SPL rated microphones, and the ability to voice dial without relying on Google Assistant and an internet connection.

I know it's not going to happen, but one can hope.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
What am I looking forward to, more manufacturers banning Facebook. Personally would like to see the platform die. Oh and Twitter and IG would be a plus plus too.

As for things that are doable, I'm thinking along the lines of mrsmumbles. Not so much the selective wipe but more of a complete backup. Similar to what is possible with rooted devices. I mean when you backup your PC you're not selectively backing up all the stuff you can easily get back, you're backing up the things that are near impossible to replace. The things that if lost would be totally devastating if lost forever. Not sure why this isn't a thing on Android.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm hoping to see more big phones that turn into smaller ones, either by folding, rolling etc. More durable ones, and different sizes like the Find X will be cool as well ;)

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
What an AWESOME thread! Thank you for posting!

I'd love to see a phone like the scrolls in RWBY -- but that may not happen in 2022!

I suppose my first thought right now (and I will probably write more later), would be the fact that I'm very interested in seeing what the Pixel 7 will be like, now that the Tensor OS would have had a year if existence to improve for Fall 2022.

LuxuryTouringZone

Trusted Member
Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
For 2022, I am looking forward to seeing manufacturers making smartphones with the following features:

- Headphone Jacks
- No Notches or hole punches
- Micro SD card slots
- Infrared Blasters
- Removable Batteries
- RGB Notifications
- Removable USB C ports

Yeah, I know. 🦄🌈🌞

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
For 2022, I am looking forward to seeing manufacturers making smartphones with the following features:

- Headphone Jacks
- Micro SD card slots
- Infrared Blasters
- Removable Batteries
- RGB Notifications
- Removable USB C ports

Yeah, I know. 🦄🌈🌞

That would be AWESOME -- though I LOVE your use of emojis here!

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

- Headphone Jacks
- Micro SD card slots
- Infrared Blasters
- Removable Batteries
- RGB Notifications
- Removable USB C ports

Yeah, I know. ??????????????????

You're a dreamer...I like it ;) We need more of those around :p

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
I am looking forward to nothing because there's nothing to look forward to lol

I could care less about the S22 Ultra, aka the Note 22 Ultra. Until companies start doing something different, I won't be purchasing any newer devices until I have to. Or I'll go with a Samsung mid-range device. I have the Note 10+ and I will hang on to it until it dies as far as I'm concerned. Only thing missing for me is the headphone jack.

I long for the days where devices still had all the specs, headphone jacks, expandable storage, and all that good stuff. Nothing but features. The last most complete device I have had was the Note 9. I have a V30 from 2018 when I bought it, but it's worn out and is ridiculously slow. And obviously, is outdated software-wise.

This would be my ideal device.

6.4 inch FLAT display
small hole punch with very minimal bezels
headphone jack
S - pen
4500-5000 mah battery
super fast charging, at least 25 watts
expandable storage with either 128 or 256 gb internal
8-12 GB of RAM

A device like that would be a beast!

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Having owned 90% of flagships I don't even know what to look forward to.

When you tell family and friends that Samsung's Z Flip3 isn't worth it and useless once you get over the Flip part. It's hard to get excited about what's coming out.

I can't believe I sold it for the Pixel 6 Pro, which I only had for 2 weeks and already looking forward to Samsung's Galaxy S22 Ultra.

This is what's sad about being an addict.