06-30-2022 08:50 PM
29 12
tools
    In the article on the Nothing phone I found this statement very funny.

"Nothing phone (1) is the most anticipated smartphone that is all set to launch on July 12."

What a great qualification, are other phones launching on July 12th?

This site is a lot less interesting, and visit a lot less now that they are afraid to allow comments on articles.

Waiting for the day when the site is renamed PixelCentral. Must be coming soon looking at the yellow area above each forum post.
    06-29-2022 12:32 PM
    Well you still have the Forums for help,tech talking etc ..
    06-29-2022 12:39 PM
    Well you still have the Forums for help,tech talking etc ..
    I agree, and there are a few people in the forums like yourself that provide great information. I still find myself reading much less on the front page now that comments are gone. Plus, I wonder about the future of the forums since they appear pretty hidden on the main page.
    06-29-2022 12:41 PM
    It is possible that it was intentional lol.

I like to think I'm at least partially responsible for a lack of comment section on the new site hahaha. But you're not wrong, the site is much less interesting now... from what I remember, haven't visited in a while.

The podcast has the same problem. I think it says a lot that they've haemorrhaged so much talent over the last 24 months that virtually the entire staff has had to be replaced.
    gendo667, 1raygin and Laura Knotek like this.
    06-29-2022 12:44 PM
    I agree, and there are a few people in the forums like yourself that provide great information. I still find myself reading much less on the front page now that comments are gone. Plus, I wonder about the future of the forums since they appear pretty hidden on the main page.
    I haven't read the front page or articles since the Android app quit working. I never use the website.
    06-29-2022 01:13 PM
    I just have the forums bookmarked.

I always find it suspect when you can't comment on an article. It's almost as if people know they're posting a controversial or bs post and don't want any backlash.

Maybe it's a sponsored post?
    notforhire likes this.
    06-29-2022 01:33 PM
    Agree with everyone. This place has become a bit of a ghost town. Even the forums are dead.

What are some good sites others go to?
    06-29-2022 01:36 PM
    I just have the forums bookmarked.

I always find it suspect when you can't comment on an article. It's almost as if people know they're posting a controversial or bs post and don't want any backlash.

Maybe it's a sponsored post?
    Also big sites try control spam which not easy thing to do if u look at other sites you see what i mean but i dont know for sure the reason behind it.
    Laura Knotek and gendo667 like this.
    06-29-2022 01:54 PM
    Also big sites try control spam which not easy thing to do if u look at other sites you see what i mean but i dont know for sure the reason behind it.
    Absolutely.

I don't know how many times I've seen the "I made $1,599 working from home" posts.
    06-29-2022 02:05 PM
    Absolutely.

I don't know how many times I've seen the "I made $1,599 working from home" posts.
    I Know even in YouTube Posts
    Laura Knotek and MoreDef like this.
    06-29-2022 02:07 PM
    There's this spam bot that always tells me I've won something whenever I comment on a MrWhosTheBoss video.
    Laura Knotek and mustang7757 like this.
    06-29-2022 02:16 PM
    There's this spam bot that always tells me I've won something whenever I comment on a MrWhosTheBoss video.
    Thats crazy lol
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-29-2022 02:18 PM
    I haven't read the front page or articles since the Android app quit working. I never use the website.
    I feel like my home page articles on my app haven't loaded properly in months. But I love the forums and am on them daily!
    06-29-2022 06:42 PM
    I only come here for the wonderful folks and the forums, for me it's about much more than phones, it's about creating wonderful friendships with amazing people from around the world Just because the world's going a little crazy doesn't mean we can't party it up here. Cheers to everyone
    06-30-2022 01:05 AM
    I only come here for the wonderful folks and the forums, for me it's about much more than phones, it's about creating wonderful friendships with amazing people from around the world Just because the world's going a little crazy doesn't mean we can't party it up here. Cheers to everyone
    This perfectly describes my thoughts, but you've said it much more eloquently.
    06-30-2022 01:15 AM
    For whatever reason, it is a conscious decision to not allow comments, as other sites using the same software (Tom's Guide for one) have comments on articles. I also agree with everything noted above.

Regarding the sentence the OP quoted to start this thread; it is vague and poorly constructed and certainly worthy of witty snide comments. Just an example of the poorly written articles we're seeing now. Not to mention all the recycled articles, like the one about best Samsung Galaxy Watch 3 bands. It's been nearly 2 years since launch!
    06-30-2022 07:57 AM
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Cheers!
    06-30-2022 10:34 AM
    I really like the lack of comments. I don't need to read people's opinions on subjects in articles. Forums are for comments, articles are for reading.

Wish Facebook got rid of comments on news articles.
    06-30-2022 01:52 PM
    I really like the lack of comments. I don't need to read people's opinions on subjects in articles. Forums are for comments, articles are for reading.

You make a very good point
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-30-2022 02:05 PM

It's the comments that lead to the full story. Reading an article, you are getting a single, filtered, and usually biased account of a story. In the comments is where you'll get additional points, counter points, and additional sources to let you form a more thorough opinion. I think a lot of news outlets removed comments because they were tired of being called out on misleading and false stories, and I wish comments were brought back.

If you don't want to read the comments, it's easy to avoid them. They are always put below the article or on a separate page.
    06-30-2022 02:30 PM
    It's the comments that lead to the full story. Reading an article, you are getting a single, filtered, and usually biased account of a story. In the comments is where you'll get additional points, counter points, and additional sources to let you form a more thorough opinion. I think a lot of news outlets removed comments because they were tired of being called out on misleading and false stories, and I wish comments were brought back.

If you don't want to read the comments, it's easy to avoid them. They are always put below the article or on a separate page.
    Articles aren't opinions. I get the you may feel that way for whatever reason, probably because of politics, but it's true. Some random person on the internet who has absolutely no ties to the contents of the article isn't going to "disprove" the news article. They only thing comments offers are opinions and I couldn't care less about the opinions of others on the contents of articles.
    06-30-2022 02:39 PM
    In olden times, the Letters to the Editor page were where periodical readers could submit responses, questions, or comments. I kinda wish that was how it still was these days, to discourage the kind of toxic bickering that invariably takes place in any comments thread.
    J Dubbs and Laura Knotek like this.
    06-30-2022 02:47 PM
    Articles aren't opinions. I get the you may feel that way for whatever reason, probably because of politics, but it's true. Some random person on the internet who has absolutely no ties to the contents of the article isn't going to "disprove" the news article. They only thing comments offers are opinions and I couldn't care less about the opinions of others on the contents of articles.
    First, You understand that reading the comments isn't mandatory, right?

Second, that is incredibly naive. There isn't a single news outlet, even the ones I like, that never gets things wrong and doesn't have any bias. We're not even talking about legitimate news here, we're talking about a tech blog where most of the contributors aren't even journalists.

And I have personally corrected incorrect articles in the comments section on AC, in between being a sassy little b****.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-30-2022 02:54 PM
    First, You understand that reading the comments isn't mandatory, right?

Second, that is incredibly naive. There isn't a single news outlet, even the ones I like, that never gets things wrong and doesn't have any bias. We're not even talking about legitimate news here, we're talking about a tech blog where most of the contributors aren't even journalists.

And I have personally corrected incorrect articles in the comments section on AC, in between being a sassy little b****.
    So your the reason no more comment section (joking)
    J Dubbs and Laura Knotek like this.
    06-30-2022 03:19 PM
    Articles aren't opinions.
    Yet they are written with opinionated bias. If not for that, every news source would cover every story in the exact same way. We also just went through some of the worst examples of that with the Depp v. Heard trial in the U.S, with many news outlets still falsely reporting on it due to their opinionated bias. If not for comments, social media, and the trial itself being live steamed, the majority of people would still believe he was a horrific wife beater and Heard an innocent victim.

In tech circles, there are biases as well. You'd think it would be easy to avoid, but it happens. If a hated company the writer doesn't like releases a new CPU, then it's too slow. If they make a top performer, it's considered too power hungry. If they develop new tech to maintain clock speeds at lower power levels, it's now too expensive. Reduce the price? Now quality control comes into play. Go with a slower processor that's still reliable, and now we're back to square one that it isn't fast enough.
    1raygin and john_v like this.
    06-30-2022 03:21 PM
29 12