Purchasing devices from Best Buy

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
So who here purchases devices from Best Buy? They have some very tempting trade in deals currently for the S22 Ultra. According to their website, if I traded in an S20 Ultra for a factory unlocked S22 Ultra, they would give me 600 dollars for it. Currently, the 256gb variant of the factory unlocked model is on sale for 950.

I think in order to get this deal, you have to do it in store though. Also, does anybody know, can you trade in multiple devices to BB? I have also have another device, a Note 10+, that supposedly I could also get 600 for. That would be sweet just being able to get the S22 Ultra out right.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I believe you have to turn your old device in immediately, so you won't have your old device if you don't like the new device and want to return it. I prefer the mail-in trade process because of this.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I've never seen a trade in order that allows you to send in more than one device on trade. So I would either keep your other device as a spare or sell it outright.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I used Best Buy before. Experienced no issues using them. Quick, painless & good customer service in store.

I only had one trade-in. I don't know if they take multiple trade-ins. But if they do & follow the procedure Samsung uses, the trade-in value on the second device will probably be reduced.

:)

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I used to trade in phones there all the time in the early days when you could basically trade in anything and get the newest flip or bar phone for next to nothing. Was always super easy. Now it seems they just hire warm bodies to sit there who barely know how to log into your cell carriers account.

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
I believe you have to turn your old device in immediately, so you won't have your old device if you don't like the new device and want to return it. I prefer the mail-in trade process because of this.

Not thrilled about that part. At least with Samsung, you have 14 days to decide and send your trade in device in. I am not entirely sure I want to part with my S20 Ultra for the S22 Ultra anyways. Honestly, it seems the main area that would benefit for me personally from jumping from the S20U to the S22U is the camera. Longer support, but my device will be supported until 2024 and I don't really care much about the S-Pen.

The downside to the mail in trade in is that the price is substantially reduced for for trade in value. 600 in store for the S20U, 250 through mailing in. Note 10+ is 600 in store, and 150 with mailing in. Big difference. This is the only reason why I considered getting the S22U.

If I returned my S20U recently I got and was able to get the S22U for around the same price with trading in my Note 10+, I suppose it might be worth it. I paid 380 recently for my S20U refurbished. The 256gb variant is currently 950, so 600 with trade of the Note 10+ and it would bring the price down to 350 before taxes.

The_Woo

Aug 22, 2020
Visit site
I just traded in my P6P for the 7P at BB. I liked the fact that the trade in was approved there on the spot and I didn't have to wait for email confirmation.

I didn't like the fact that if I returned the new phone, I couldn't get my old phone back. Rather, they give you partial refund credit in a BB gift card. Example: 545 for a P6P, if I return the new phone I get back 295 in a BB gift card. Not the 545 credited back to my CC.

Tough decision you got there..lol

Sent from The Woo! using AC Forums mobile app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I ordered a Pixel 7 Pro, with a $545 trade-in for my Pixel 6 Pro. Waiting for the 7 Pro to arrive at the store (hopefully Thursday) so we can complete the transaction. The deal also comes with a $200 Best Buy gift card, which will come in handy for the Pixel Watch.

The first agent I spoke to the day before gave me somewhat different information from the manager the next day, who I transacted with, so make sure you're talking to a relatively senior person. The two main reasons I went with Best Buy over the Google Store are (a) I wanted to do an in-person trade-in, to avoid the problem of the phone disappearing somewhere en route (which we may all remember has been a real problem with Samsung's trade-in program, seemingly thanks to FedEx), and (b) Best Buy's trade-in value for my phone was actually better than Google's (who was offering $480).

It will be a slight hassle to have to reset my 6 Pro prior to setting up the 7 Pro, but almost everything I use on my phone is synced to the cloud somewhere. I'll be able to backup the Nova homescreen layout separately. I'll have to transfer my Google Authenticator keys to my backup Galaxy A32 5G first, and then transfer those to the new 7 Pro once I get it home. And then there's the hassle of setting up work apps through IT again. But hopefully all will be reasonably painless.

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
It will be a slight hassle to have to reset my 6 Pro prior to setting up the 7 Pro, but almost everything I use on my phone is synced to the cloud somewhere. I'll be able to backup the Nova homescreen layout separately. I'll have to transfer my Google Authenticator keys to my backup Galaxy A32 5G first, and then transfer those to the new 7 Pro once I get it home. And then there's the hassle of setting up work apps through IT again. But hopefully all will be reasonably painless.

Will they let you transfer your data between your old phone to the new phone in store? I have done that in the past with a few Best Buy trade-ins. I keep most everything backed up on cloud and/or sd card but I also transfer everything in store and then do the factory data reset in store.

Sent from my SM-S908U using AC Forums mobile app

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I haven't yet, but I've been thinking about it, especially due to the recent rise in mail thefts of tech over the past year or so. Definitely worth checking into!

Madd62

Mr. Wonderful
May 31, 2021
Visit site
It seems like the best way, even if you're without old and new for a few days.

I would make sure they see the trade in phone, if they haven't yet. You mention it was refurbished so I'm wondering if that will reduce the offer as I'm sure the IMEI or whatever will show 2 owners.

Maybe it's a flat £600 regardless, but best to have them confirm the offer and they keep the S20u.

As @B.Diddy and others mentioned, mailing it in is now risky.

I post this because I was considering a tempting ttade in offer on my current phone from Oneplus, some weeks - 2 months ago.

Problem there is I pay in full and wait for their evaluation of my device (they asked condition questions).
If they come back with a ridiculous refund offer I've paid retail for the Oneplus and wait to get get my phone back via FedEx / DHL in hopefully as good a condition as it was sent (including full packaging, though that's probably pointless).

Their trade in scheme (Oneplus) didn't look fair at all when you look past the headline offer.

Last edited:

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
Will they let you transfer your data between your old phone to the new phone in store? I have done that in the past with a few Best Buy trade-ins. I keep most everything backed up on cloud and/or sd card but I also transfer everything in store and then do the factory data reset in store.

Yes they still let you transfer in store ..they were doing some iPhones the last time I was visiting BB talking to some sales friends by mine ..

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Oh yeah, that's a good point. I'll see if I can do that!

Madd62

Mr. Wonderful
May 31, 2021
Visit site
Does that mean you open your shiny new box and have the orgasm in the store?
That should be private between you and your new phone. :)

Annie_M

Trusted Member
Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
I purchased a new phone from Best Buy a few years ago. I had a good experience, but when I got my last phone, I opted to have it shipped to me. I had a couple of weeks to send the old one back, which gave me time to ensure that the new phone was to my liking.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I haven't yet, but I've been thinking about it, especially due to the recent rise in mail thefts of tech over the past year or so. Definitely worth checking into!

Walking in with your trade in, and out with your new phone in your hand can't be beat.. the only way I'll do it from now on. No more shipping, praying, and waiting :-\