Will There Ever Be More Smartphones w/ 4 Inch Screens?

superboy

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
It seems as if every new "top of the line" smartphone is getting bigger and bigger each "stage." The iPhone was 3.5 inches, then you got the Evo Shift 4g which was about 3.8 inches, Nexus S and Atrix 4 inches, and Evo 4.3 inches..which sorta set the NEW standard that all smart phones should be 4.3 inches. I think 4.3 is a little too big for my hands, a huge screen is nice but I really don't like having that bulk in my pocket. I have a Nexus S and 4.0 is just perfect for me. I'm kind of worried though.... all the new phones are 4.3 inches.. Samsung Galaxy S II phones, HTC, Moto all have their new phones 4.3 inches.. rarely any more 4 inches. What do you guys think? Is 4.3 too big for you? Do you think 4.3 is the new standard? I know I would eventually get use to it if i used a 4.3 everyday.. but it just looks too huge! lol..

I also think its funny how back in the days people had HUGE brick cell phones, then it got smaller and smaller and smaller.. now people want bigger bigger and bigger.. more real estate.

Silberc

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Nobody wants a bigger phone, just a bigger screen.
We want mini HD TVs in our pockets.

Remember old brick phones had 2 inch screens with a majority being the actual phone so they were just huge
Now a days we have 4.3 inch screens but with less than a half of inch of plastic behind it.Smaller yet bigger:p

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
I agree. I am bummed out over the current trend to make larger devices.

The 3.7" of my Dinc is the perfect form factor for me. I've messed around with 4" devices, and I find them right at the large end for an acceptable threshold (for me that is). After playing around with numerous 4.3" devices, I find them just too much for the threshold of my preferred form factor.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
3.7 to 4 is fine with me. Phones are getting bigger are more media friendly as people demand these types of devices.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I love the overall form factor of my Fascinate, thin and light...but I've been messing around with an HTC Evo 4G for the past week as a media/wifi device, and I have to admit, the bigger screen is pretty awesome.