Only 9% Want a Screen under 4"

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
attachment.php

4,500 Android Central readers have responded to the 2011 Reader's Choice Awards surveys so far. The surveyed phones come in every size and style with 2.8" up to 4.5" displays. It turns out that the Readers are thinking big. While only a third of the 40 phones in the 2011 Readers Choice Survey are the 4.3" or 4.5" formats, two thirds of readers want these larger formats.

Four of the top five phones are 4.3" displays including the Sprint HTC EVO 3D, Verizon HTC Thunderbolt, and T-Mobile HTC Sensation. The year-old Sprint HTC EVO 4G has locked up third place. The only "smaller" phone in the top five is the 4" AT&T Motorola Atrix. Just 14 months ago, 4" would have been big.

The sixth spot goes to the only 4.5 inch contender, the AT&T Samsung Infuse 4G. This begs the question, what if there were 4.5 inchers on Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile? Would they all be in the Top 10 as well? Probably.

Drilling down to the smallest sizes, 13% of the phones in this survey are 3.2" or less. But only 1% of users want these phones. The iFixIt and iSupply teardowns show that the 4.3" displays do cost about $20 more than the small displays and carriers earn a premium for these most popular phones.

How is the bigger format trend impacting carriers? Verizon and Sprint Lead in the 2011 Reader's Choice Awards because they have the most 4.3"+ phones. T-Mobile has the worst showing due to only offering one 4.3" phone out of it's 24 Androids.

How is the drive to larger formats impacting manufacturers? HTC Dominates the 2011 Readers Choice Awards with 4.3"+ phones helping HTC set new sales and earnings records month, after month, after month, after month, after month, after month.

Buying a phone in the US is more than an $100 or $200 investment. It is typically a 24-month contract that will total $2,000. The bad news is that you are going to spend a lot on your next phone and probably have it a long time. The good news is that if you are already going to spend $2,000 on your next phone, spend another $100 and get the one you want. Money may not be able to buy happiness but it can get you the phone you want.

The Reader Awards show 2011 to be the year of the 4.3" phone. CES 2012 is expected to feature a host of 4.5" "Edge-to-Edge" displays. The thin bezel around the screen allows a 4.5" display to fit into today's 4" case. And hold on...a 5" Edge-to-Edge display fits into one of todays 4.3" cases.

Here is a little history on US Android phone sizes. In 2008, The 3.2" T-Mobile G1 was the first Android phone. Into 2009, the small screen dominated with the My Touch 3G, HTC Hero, and Motorola Cliq. The Motorola Droid moved the bar to 3.7" in November 2009 followed by the 3.7" Nexus One in January 2010, then the HTC Desire and Droid Incredible.

June 2010, brought the 4" Samsung Galaxy S series and also the first 4.3" display to the US, the HTC EVO 4G. Other 4.3" phones have now included the Droid X and MyTouch 4G in 2010. So far in 2011 it has been the 4.3" Inspire 4G, Thunderbolt, Droid Charge, Sensation, Droid X2, EVO 3D, and Photon. The Samsung Infuse remains the only 4.5" phone in the US.

2011 Reader's Choice Awards Research:
? 4.3" Displays are Now the Sweet Spot
? HTC Dominates the 2011 Readers Choice Awards
? Verizon and Sprint Lead in the 2011 Reader's Choice Awards

Last edited:

anon(143571)

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: A 4.3" Display Is Now the Sweet Spot

Mytouch 4g is 3.8 inch.

I still love 4 inch for portability and screen size. I think qHD 4-inch would give enough real estate UI wise to make a good experience. I dont like the growing trend in screen sizes and I hope it mellows out at 4.3

Timelessblur

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I am not sure I like going larger than 4" I like my Atrix and 4" screen. The dell streak 5" was way to huge but a fear is they will try to go that size is standard. They are clearly pushing the limits right now.

Sent from my rooted Atrix 2.3.4 using Tapatalk

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site

Note: The chart has been restored in the opening post.
I am not sure I like going larger than 4" I like my Atrix and 4" screen....
The new 4.5" "Edge-to-Edge" displays fit into today's 4" case. That's the point of Edge-to-Edge.
CES 2012 is expected to feature a host of 4.5" "Edge-to-Edge" displays. The thin bezel around the screen allows a 4.5" display to fit into today's 4" case. And hold on...a 5" Edge-to-Edge display fits into one of todays 4.3" cases.

Reactions: mrmoe110

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

IMO - a 5" display will be the gold standard when they start producing phones with little/no bezel, no capacitive buttons, (edge to edge displays) thanks to ice cream sammmmmmmmmmich. 5" display in a 4.3" form factor.

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site

Note: The chart has been restored in the opening post.The new 4.5" "Edge-to-Edge" displays fit into today's 4" case. That's the point of Edge-to-Edge.

I actually went from 4.3" (EVO) to 4.0" (Nexus S). I really love the phone size, and don't regret it a bit. So if the Edge-to-Edge displays give me the comfortable size of a Nexus with the larger screen of an EVO, I'd definitely be for that!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Nice breakdown. Uts going to be insane once larger screens are released and are no larger than today's 4.3".

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

anon(35621)

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
While I agree that the size of a 4.3" phone now is perfect, I can only hope that the components get more efficient if the screen size is going to increase along with LTE, NFC, and anything else they are going to add.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: 4.3" Displays Are Now the Sweet Spot

While I agree that the size of a 4.3" phone now is perfect, I can only hope that the components get more efficient if the screen size is going to increase along with LTE, NFC, and anything else they are going to add.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
Three years ago, 3.2" phones seemed perfect .

Two years ago 3.7" phones seemed perfect .

14 months ago 4" phones seemed perfect .

Now 4.3" phones seem perfect.

I will bet by the 2011 Readers Choice, 4.5" to 5" Edge-to-Edge displays will seem perfect.

See the companion study:HTC Dominates the 2011 Readers Choice Awards to see how HTC used display size to dominate.

Reactions: Lavitapostandroid

Mr One 2#AC

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site

Coming from a BB storm 2 to the droid x2...... Um yeah the g spot has been hit!!!!

*i meant sweet spot lol

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

Three years ago, 3.2" phones seemed perfect .

Two years ago 3.7" phones seemed perfect .

14 months ago 4" phones seemed perfect .

Now 4.3" phones seem perfect.

I will bet by the 2011 Readers Choice, 4.5" to 5" Edge-to-Edge displays will seem perfect.

See the companion study:HTC Dominates the 2011 Readers Choice Awards to see how HTC used display size to dominate.
Damn Milo, glad to have you here at AC calculating all these stats!

Reactions: milominderbinde

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site

Take a look at the companion research piece, Verizon and Sprint Lead in the 2011 Reader's Choice Awards.

How can it be that T-Mobile only has one phone anywhere in the Top 15?

T-Mobile has great rates, great 4G, and spokesperson Carly Foukes. So how can T-Mobile be losing so many customers?

It is because T-Mobile has one 4.3" phone out of it's 24 Androids. You need products if you want to make sales. T-Mobile is fighting last year's war.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site

I still think a 4.0 in screen is the sweet spot.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Statisitcally the average of ~ 3,600 readers surveyed is 4.21"

CES 2012 will mark the year of the 4.5" edge-to-edge display with 4.5" displays in cases no bigger than today's 4" phones. The 4.5 ETE have been sampling since last winter from Samsung, LG, and Hitachi.

If we are true to form next year the average will be 4.41"

CES 2013 will mark the year of the 5" edge-to-edge display...

BigFace

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Ok. At six feet seven inches, I typically find that everything is on the small size. I think I would prefer a 5 to 6 incher, corner to corner. Why you might ask...I like all that is tall, pleasing to the eye and fits well in the palm of my hand...PHONES!!!

GenTsoChicken

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

I'll stick with my 4' Atrix. To me its the perfect size. You get a bit more privacy from a 4 than you get with a 4.3 or bigger. You can easily hide it or cover it up with you hands while in public or more importantly at work.