Google VS Apple

darkrad3r

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Always wondered this, if the IOS-Android war went far enough, do you think google will ever pull its services from iOS, so, for example; the iPhone couldn't use google maps, youtube, or google talk?

kharrigan

Now using God's Phone
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
The threat is more powerful than the action. Practically speaking, I'm sure that there are concessions on both sides that keeps the peace.

Cutting to the chase, Apple needs Google more, IMHO. It'll be interesting to see what happens without the tyrant visionary at the helm of Apple.

gdbjr

Banned
Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
never going to happen. Google makes it money selling ads, not on the Android OS. There are millions of iOS devices all generating money for google. So they would be foolish to do anything like that.

@ kharrigan As for as Apple needing Google more, you need to explain that as it makes no sense.

kharrigan

Now using God's Phone
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
@ kharrigan As for as Apple needing Google more, you need to explain that as it makes no sense.
This is only an academic discussion as we both agree - neither company would do this as it is detrimental to both businesses... Google has no dependency on Apple for anything. Apple, on the other hand, relies on Google for compelling apps and content on their iOS devices. If Apple replaced all of Google's apps, their iOS devices would suffer. If Google blocked access to iOS devices - like Apple does to Flash - Apple would suffer.

psufan32

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
As was pointed out, Google relies in revenue from advertising. More and more revenue is being derived from the mobile space, and the iPhone is a MAJOR player in that space. They'd be foolish to pull significant revenue generators from iOS.

With that said, we've seen a drastic shift over the last 6-8 months of Apple, Google, Microsoft and RIM all turning the majority of their attention inward. As time goes on, I certainly think that we'll find ourselves more deeply tied to the native and proprietary services on the phone than we are now.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
As was pointed out, Google relies in revenue from advertising. More and more revenue is being derived from the mobile space, and the iPhone is a MAJOR player in that space. They'd be foolish to pull significant revenue generators from iOS.

With that said, we've seen a drastic shift over the last 6-8 months of Apple, Google, Microsoft and RIM all turning the majority of their attention inward. As time goes on, I certainly think that we'll find ourselves more deeply tied to the native and proprietary services on the phone than we are now.

Well, not all of it is coming from apps. It also comes from the browser. And from the last stats I saw of people who use the browser on their iPhones (which was quite a long time ago so it has most likely grown since then), about 60% of iphone users used the internet.

Raptor

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Apple is apparently working on mapping solutions of there own and I expect they will announce a suite of mapping related products before long -- maybe to coincide with iP5. And, for search, I think Apple will eventually be a major player in this space as well but I can also see them taking a boat load of M$ money to use Bing in the short term.

So, in short, Apple does NOT depend more on Google than Google does Apple, it's the other way around. Google may have tweaked Apple with the release of Android but Apple can fire back by eliminating the use of Google services on Apples products.

Brian

brillrick

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Apple is already making moves to usurp Google on the iPhone.
Her name is Siri.

If apple can get people to use Siri more often like they are they will eventually skip the need for google.
Think of the kinds of mobile searches that are done right now.

on google maps i type in pizza, and it shows me google places results for the pizzas near my location.
but on iPhone 4s.
"Siri, where is the nearest pizza" and what pops yup is not a google places result but a yelp result,

take it further into future revisions of Siri, when more apps have api access: "Siri, remind me to buy a coat for my wife", this could skip a google search for coats and go straight to a site or app that sells coats.

I'm probably giving some bad examples here, but imagine if you don't need to do a google search on your phone anymore, you could just go straight to your answer.

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Lol they just wanna remove Google cuz they hate Google for ..(wait for it)...."stealing" their intellectual property. So should the big G sue for the voice search theft that automatically directs to Google shopping?
Apples lawsuits are just a last ditch effort to stop the sales of android phones. By slandering android installing manufacturers they hope to win sales by being the good guys. The saddest part is they are failing miserably.:'(
As far as Apple pulling Google, great pull the trigger, it ll blow the apple apart In case yOS users have forgotten android is rising at breakneck speeds. Apple is losing more users to android, than android is to apple. I really dont believe the isheep would enjoy bing even if apple told them it was good for them.

Last edited:

dj2big

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
What would be cool if Apple made Siri.com a search engine to compete with Google

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

logicallucy

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, siri is pretty good.. it's definitely what apple put up against google.
Although google is pretty darn good, I think siri isn't bad. and for any apple users, they love what it does and how it works..
but for google to pull services from apple and not allow apple users to use their apps is a dumb idea. I dont think they'll do that.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Apple is already making moves to usurp Google on the iPhone.
Her name is Siri.

If apple can get people to use Siri more often like they are they will eventually skip the need for google.
Think of the kinds of mobile searches that are done right now.

on google maps i type in pizza, and it shows me google places results for the pizzas near my location.
but on iPhone 4s.
"Siri, where is the nearest pizza" and what pops yup is not a google places result but a yelp result,

take it further into future revisions of Siri, when more apps have api access: "Siri, remind me to buy a coat for my wife", this could skip a google search for coats and go straight to a site or app that sells coats.

I'm probably giving some bad examples here, but imagine if you don't need to do a google search on your phone anymore, you could just go straight to your answer.
This is what I think is happening.

dj2big

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
What google should do is give Google a personality an simply call it Google it will be interesting for it to have a duel personality both female and male that adjust to users impute and daily life and become an AI friend

Reactions: joshua.worth

mikeisnowonfire

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
There is a delicate detente that allows them to kind of leave each other alone, mostly because Apple is reliant on Google for many services. However, slowly but surely, Apple has worked on replacing their needs for these services and has started developing their own. A time will come that Apple has weened itself of Google, and when that time comes, you will see a serious clash of the titans. I wish Apple would stop with all of this ridiculousness and just try to win the favor of consumers instead of always trying to win in the courtroom. It is reasons like this that Apple is looked upon so unfavorably among people who don't care for them.

Reactions: joshua.worth
Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Apple will probably no longer be around in 10-20 years because its whole business model is based on charging a price they have no business charging for products that all too quickly become commodities. It won't be "magical" forever. Google isn't based on commoditized products; I need not have any loyalty to Motorola to continue enjoying Google's platform. Google is a better idea for consumers and investors for much the same reason.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000