Android 5 aka jelly bean!

weston87

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Just read a post on Twitter about the next Android os jelly bean. Has anyone else heard this too? They haven't released ice cream sandwich for most devices yet and already talk of jelly bean. What is your thoughts on this? And what have you heard about it?

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk!

Last edited:

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
It's really not surprising that it's already in the works, usually companies try to stay ahead and already be working on their next releases by the time their current ones come out.

rukin1

Banned
Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
It takes a long time to build an OS. We probably won't see it hitting any devices until 2013.
Maybe just MAYBE super late 2012. But who knows. I mean you gotta stay update with other companies. I mean theres like a load types of iphones and ipods.. But yet theres only on android.

rizzman

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
It is kind of disheartening that most of us are still waiting for ICS and now JB is being talked about. Seems like by the time we get ICS it will be outdated cause JB will be the talk of the town. Why such a long delay between updates boggles my mind.

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
IMHO this is the type of crap that drives people to apple. ICS hasn't hit but one phone and they're already talking about the next itineration. Get ICS on over 50% of the phones, then maybe start talking about JB.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

weston87

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you SteveISU totally. The rumor is that it will hit late this year. From everything I've read anyways. I would like to see ics before we even hear of jb.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk!

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
It is kind of disheartening that most of us are still waiting for ICS and now JB is being talked about. Seems like by the time we get ICS it will be outdated cause JB will be the talk of the town. Why such a long delay between updates boggles my mind.

How soon we forget. I can remember ICS being mentioned before anyone had Gingerbread. The key word is "mentioned", for I haven't seen Jellybean officially announced yet.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
IMHO this is the type of crap that drives people to apple. ICS hasn't hit but one phone and they're already talking about the next itineration. Get ICS on over 50% of the phones, then maybe start talking about JB.

If that's the truth then let them go. Anyone remember how the iPhone 4 was supposed to be 4G?

Reactions: Andy357#AC

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site

That is the manufacturers problem not Google. They take a while to get their skins right, than the carrier has to make sure that their bloatware works. Also manufacturers do hold back updates to try and get us to buy the new phone, no money in doing updates.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
That is the manufacturers problem not Google. They take a while to get their skins right, than the carrier has to make sure that their bloatware works. Also manufacturers do hold back updates to try and get us to buy the new phone, no money in doing updates.

I understand the economics of it from a manufacturing side, but from a consumer side, it is the type of thing that drives people nuts. I would think google would start putting it's foot down and push manufacturers to get their software pushed in 90 days from the release date. If they feel the android phone market can't accomplish that due to the number of different handset manufacturers, then maybe start thinking of exclusivity contracts with 1 or 2.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I understand the economics of it from a manufacturing side, but from a consumer side, it is the type of thing that drives people nuts. I would think google would start putting it's foot down and push manufacturers to get their software pushed in 90 days from the release date. If they feel the android phone market can't accomplish that due to the number of different handset manufacturers, then maybe start thinking of exclusivity contracts with 1 or 2.

That would be a good start. I just wish every phone had the option of running vanilla android or the carrier/manufacturer version. There
Is a lot of good phones I would get but going without timely updates is a deal breaker.

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
That would be a good start. I just wish every phone had the option of running vanilla android or the carrier/manufacturer version. There
Is a lot of good phones I would get but going without timely updates is a deal breaker.

I would think Samsung, HTC, and Motoroloa eliminating their skins (most people don't like them anyway and quite frankly would welcome ICS now rather then HTC slaping Sense over it). ICS could be out on most phones if they eliminate that layer of BS. Let the companies worry about hardware, let google handle the software. Done! Rather then google creates software, Moto creates the hardware AND software over googles and then screws everything up and there are delays because Moto has to get Blur to work with ICS.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I would think Samsung, HTC, and Motoroloa eliminating their skins (most people don't like them anyway and quite frankly would welcome ICS now rather then HTC slaping Sense over it). ICS could be out on most phones if they eliminate that layer of BS. Let the companies worry about hardware, let google handle the software. Done! Rather then google creates software, Moto creates the hardware AND software over googles and then screws everything up and there are delays because Moto has to get Blur to work with ICS.

That is the holdup. Getting touchwhiz, blur, sense and other skins to work. Plus the carriers have to make sure their device "improvements" work with the new version. Problem is though, reading these forums there are some people who do like the skins and some who don't. That's why I wish when you boot an android phone the first time it would ask what type of android you would like. And later if you decide vanilla isn't for you, reset back and choose the skinned version and vice versa. Then let Google update the vanilla versions, and let the manufacturer update the skinned version. Problem solved.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
That's why I wish when you boot an android phone the first time it would ask what type of android you would like. And later if you decide vanilla isn't for you, reset back and choose the skinned version and vice versa. Then let Google update the vanilla versions, and let the manufacturer update the skinned version. Problem solved.

Even with a non-skinned version of Android, it still would need to be customized by the manufacturer to match each devices specs. Google is not going to take responsibility to do that, and they shouldn't have to. So don't expect a dual boot option to ever be available straight from the manufacturer.

mtfarm

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
A lot of people bought the Nexus s because it was suppose to have updates from Google and first and all the did was a half ace attempt. So all the blame can't all go on manufacturers. Also from the looks of it even if you get the flagship phone you at best can hope for one version update and Google forgets about you forever. If a person wants to root and go custom then any phone can fill that job.

Google should announce 6.0 so there is hope 4.0 will be received by some by next year at this time. I think Google is like the Wizard of oz and behind the curtain is one geek waiting for outside developers to figure it out and the tweek it out the door.

ADD medicine should be distributed to Google and make them focus on one good software version and end these half done attempts.

A very disappointed Nexus s owner.

rizzman

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Even with a non-skinned version of Android, it still would need to be customized by the manufacturer to match each devices specs. Google is not going to take responsibility to do that, and they shouldn't have to. So don't expect a dual boot option to ever be available straight from the manufacturer.
Agreed. The manufacturers are also to blame.. I hate when they make the claim that they are not in the software end of the business so that is why they are slow to put out updates. I am sorry but the moment you tinker around skinning an android version, guess what, you just put yourself into the software end of things. So they should rightfully so be held accountable for the os update fiasco that currently is happening with android.

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. The manufacturers are also to blame.. I hate when they make the claim that they are not in the software end of the business so that is why they are slow to put out updates. I am sorry but the moment you tinker around skinning an android version, guess what, you just put yourself into the software end of things. So they should rightfully so be held accountable for the os update fiasco that currently is happening with android.

Samsung, HTC, and Motorola should then take their top two phones for the given year, submit them to google and google should then take the lead on applying their software to those phones and push the updates out. Again, I think this is the thing that drives people to apple, no one on the android side of things wants to take any responsibility for software updates. Everyone points the finger and at the end of the day their answer is, "buy a new phone".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax