[OPINION] Where's My Google Play Games App?

michaeldufault

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I got the writing bug and decided to give this a go as if I were a bonafide Android Central writer. Submitted to AC and thought I'd post here as well. Just my two cents!

-----

Yesterday on March 6th Google began to roll out a complete rebranding of their Android Market and related apps (Music, Videos, Books) with a new naming scheme and icon set. The play icon itself represents colors of each facet of this new conglomerate, though one of these was absent from my app drawer.

Where?s my Google Play Games app?

In August, Google added a social gaming element to their social networking service Google+. The service borrows from other social networking successes by allowing users to play with friends, share achievements and more. While I don?t have numbers to back this up, my personal experience and those of friends and relatives tells me it?s likely been a neglected feature. Meanwhile, services like OpenFeint have made it easy for game developers to work in cross-platform multiplayer, high scores and rankings while adding, what feels to me at least, as a bit of added bloat and an ugly icon frame.

I see Google?s Play branding as a new opportunity to offer a Games app, a hub if you will that could integrate with Google+ to offer an easy sign-on solution for developers and players alike. Multiplayer, scoring and sharing in one place along with recommended and curated app selections similar to what?s being done with Google Music now.

Why speculate? Google has been pretty good at reading my mind this past year, adding feature after useful feature. Perhaps some helpful suggestion in a thriving community such as this could bring this opportunity to light!

-----

What do you think?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad