[Chatter] "Where everybody knows your name ..."

AppleBonker

Dag, yo!
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Hahahaha I was told in school by someone that that ladys skin melted off or something. I considered mentioning it in here but figured wasn't worth the typing effort.

I wasn't involved in the discovery phase, so take this with a grain of salt. Apparently McD's corporate policy was to sell coffee at 180-190 degrees so it was still warm by the time people got to work and decided to drink it. She purchased the coffee (wasn't driving) and her son (or whoever she was with) pulled into a parking spot so they could put cream/sugar into the coffee. She put the coffee between her legs to remove the lid. The heat of the coffee then supposedly caused the cup to melt and she suffered third-degree burns on something like 15% of her body (including genitals). IMO, far from frivolous. If your intent is to serve coffee at that temperature, the vessel it is served in should be engineering to withstand that temp (including some sort of safety factor). If this is all true (which it appears to be based on the judgement), McD's negligence resulted directly in this woman's injuries.

Also, they apparently went to court in an attempt to win the difference between what her medical bills were and what insurance covered (after contacting McD's directly for the difference in an attempt to keep it out of the legal system). She was awarded far more in punitive damages, however.

AppleBonker

Dag, yo!
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
NJAP, do you have a technical background?

And, not sure if this is accurate, but I picture your office as some sort of cross between this:
ofgzM.jpg

and this:
How_much_money_did_Scrooge_McDuck_have.png

Last edited:

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I've had 2.5 of those already this morning. My internal alarm clock wakes me up on weekends.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance