[Chatter] "Where everybody knows your name ..."

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Sup chatter:)...this anker battery is insane!!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352586517401.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352586517401.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 22
  • uploadfromtaptalk1352586524098.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352586524098.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 22

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
NotJustAPhone said:
We need 24-hour Chatter coverage. :thumbup:

Maybe I'll start writing a short piece every night on my thoughts on Windows 8/Android/iOS, etc. I've been meaning to start doing that for a while, and this is as good a place as any.

So I really want to pick up the HTC 8X in either red or yellow, but what's holding me back is Google Voice support. Sure, I could use MetroTalk, but there's something about third-party applications that I just don't like. Windows has me hooked for the desktop and tablet environment hands down. But as far as phones go, even Windows Phone 8 isn't close to what it would take to pull me away from Nexus phones for a daily driver.

2013 is going to be fun.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I'll start writing a short piece every night on my thoughts on Windows 8/Android/iOS, etc. I've been meaning to start doing that for a while, and this is as good a place as any.

So I really want to pick up the HTC 8X in either red or yellow, but what's holding me back is Google Voice support. Sure, I could use MetroTalk, but there's something about third-party applications that I just don't like. Windows has me hooked for the desktop and tablet environment hands down. But as far as phones go, even Windows Phone 8 isn't close to what it would take to pull me away from Nexus phones for a daily driver.

2013 is going to be fun.

Going away from Android, eh? I know its all about the ecosystem now, but Windows and Android play together well enough, I would consider myself having all the convenience of an ecosystem without being fully committed to anything. The only thing that has ever made me consider a Windows phone is the XBox Live support. The 8X looks like a sweet piece of hardware though.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
All these quoted post all of a suden AC? That is asking allot, think I will just start payinf attention now, and let the previous post be a "wash." BTW, love this tune...

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Going away from Android, eh? I know its all about the ecosystem now, but Windows and Android play together well enough, I would consider myself having all the convenience of an ecosystem without being fully committed to anything. The only thing that has ever made me consider a Windows phone is the XBox Live support. The 8X looks like a sweet piece of hardware though.

Away from Android for phones? Highly unlikely. But for tablets? No contest. I've been using the latest Windows builds out of Microsoft since around February, on tablets, laptops, desktops, all-in-ones, and docked solutions. The approach to multitasking and productivity on Windows 8 tablets and larger touchscreens lets me be far more productive and efficient than on Android tablets. Furthermore, I feel like the Android user interface style on tablets (both the honeycomb-like interface and the Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 interface) is just a bit 'off'. The interface in Windows 8 perfectly complements Windows 8 (Metro) applications, and the way that such applications react to available screen width and height provides for a much more responsive user experience.

Android on tablets needs to nail the triad of productivity, efficiency, and responsive design. Every time I try to justify productivity on Android devices, it doesn't quite happen -- especially for document creation and editing. I've used most of the Office-style apps on Android, and I've used most of the sharing methods (Dropbox, Docs, etc.) as well. I'm a big fan of Google Drive, but in the end, Office 2013 and the sharing capabilities of the Charms bar offer a much more seamless and effortless experience.

As for efficiency, Android has done well. The 4.1+ approach to multitasking is great; it's very similar to Windows 8's multitasking, with subtle differences. The lifecycle of Android applications, when handled well by developers, allows applications to react well to being in the background. One significant difference is the approach to lock screens. Windows 8 doesn't let you launch anything directly from the lock screen, while Android doesn't have the same capabilities for displaying information on the lock screen (with the exception of lock screen widgets coming with 4.2).

Finally, in the aspect of responsive design, I just don't see what I want to see on Android tablets. Windows 8's Live Tiles work beautifully -- Microsoft did with Live Tiles what Android has been trying to do with homescreen widgets for years, save the interactive elements (i.e. play/pause/next buttons for music control). Snapping two Windows 8 applications on screen allows for multiple-app interaction without loss of efficiency or content. I frequently snap Weather or Music in a thin window on the left of the screen, while having the Mail app or the traditional Desktop open in a large, right-side window. The applications adapt to the screen real estate available to them, re-composing lists and content not only to fit the new dimensions, but to fit the new dimensions well. The closest thing to this built into Android is Fragments.​

Simply put, navigating and using a Windows 8 tablet feels more natural and immersive than any of the Android tablets I've used. Android is more or less on par with Windows 8 for media consumption -- web browsing, music, images/photos, and sometimes video -- but beyond that, there's work to be done.

Edit: I tried to keep this short.... :)

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Simply put, navigating and using a Windows 8 tablet feels more natural and immersive than any of the Android tablets I've used. Android is more or less on par with Windows 8 for media consumption -- web browsing, music, images/photos, and sometimes video -- but beyond that, there's work to be done.

I've been wanting a tablet as a laptop replacement. I think MSFT may have beat everyone to the punch, despite being so late to the game. Thanks for the write-up.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I am happy Windows is "finally" getting into the tablet game. With apple and the kindle having enormous success, it is about time MS responded, albeit late, better than never. I think the OS has been a disappointment in the Mobile market as evidenced by Apples and Androids black line, but who knows, maybe enough people will find a MS tablet doing much more than a nexus or apple iPad can? I am looking forward to the envelopment of Ubuntu on a tablet myself. There can never be enough choice.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Dream come true, XBox live support would be fin with Google.