[Chatter] "Where everybody knows your name ..."

AppleBonker

Dag, yo!
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'd be driving for hours. No joke.

Problem is you need to hack portals to acquire items to deploy. And you can only hack the same portal 4 times in 4 hours (though you only need to wait 5 minutes between hacks). So you have to cover some ground if you really want to build your inventory.

Also, leveling early on is easy. But it slows down as you get higher. Higher-level players don't earn experience points at a higher rate than lower-level players (rate meaning per defined user action). Higher-level players can complete those actions more frequently, but not enough so to make leveling happen at a consistent pace. It took me one day to get to level two. And one more day to get to three. I'm now through another day and just shy of halfway to level four. The players at level 7-8 must have been playing from the start, and not taken any breaks. For reference, level two comes at 10k experience points and level eight is at 1.25 mil.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
This sounds a lot like virtual geocaching.

In a way, yeah. Also, I meant to point this out earlier... take a minute to stop and think about the tremendous data value offered by Ingress from the point of view of a company that relies on gathering detailed, specific data. Google now has the ability to pre-select very specific locations, and then record very specific information about that location (such as routes taken, travel time, etc.). That data can even be taken to an extreme if analyzed for things like crowd flow dynamics and more.

A Google game is never just a game.

one-does-not-simply-walk-into-mordor.jpg

nexusisneecesary

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Nope Google's out for information, and that isn't necessarily a horrible thing but lumenii has it, they want data they can do very specific things with and this is the easiest way to get it:)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

kygator13

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
My dinner tonight, Red Barron 3 meat pan pizza.

Sent from my blazing HTC One X+
Orange & Blue through and through...Go Gators!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354851010928.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354851010928.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 16

AppleBonker

Dag, yo!
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
A Google game is never just a game.

Definitely. And I give them a lot of credit for it this time. Had they just tried to track devices to accumulate this data there would be a huge uproar (privacy complaints, anyone?). But they turned it into a game and now people are desperate to cough the data up to them.

Also, they can get a good amount of data from maps if people use it when they're driving. But this serves the purpose of pulling the pedestrian data which, as far as I can tell, is so far lacking for Google.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
OK so the ROM was kinda glitchy. Back to stock/rooted 4.2.1 for tonight. Maybe tomorrow I'll find the latest AOKP (stable or not) and rock it for the weekend. Anyways, I'm out Chatter. Hope you all have a great evening/night. Tomorrow's friday! :cool:

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Definitely. And I give them a lot of credit for it this time.

As do I. It's commendable to take such a creative approach to crowd-sourced data collection and at such a level of quality -- at least as far as I can tell. Now, assuming that Ingress won't go public (or open invite requests) for at least a few months... you think I'd get an invite if I 3D-printed a titanium desktop model (think: sculpture display case) of the Ingress logo?

Me thinks yes. :)

mrro82

Mr. Ro.
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
As do I. It's commendable to take such a creative approach to crowd-sourced data collection and at such a level of quality -- at least as far as I can tell. Now, assuming that Ingress won't go public (or open invite requests) for at least a few months... you think I'd get an invite if I 3D-printed a titanium desktop model (think: sculpture display case) of the Ingress logo?

Good luck. I tried the artwork route and others did less and got one but I didn't do I said eff it. Not worth it at this point imho.

Sent from low Earth orbit with my Skyrocket.

AppleBonker

Dag, yo!
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
you think I'd get an invite if I 3D-printed a titanium desktop model (think: sculpture display case) of the Ingress logo?

mrro attempted this for a while. So who knows? If you're going to try artwork, keep close tabs on the 4 people on Google+ mentioned in the AC article about Ingress invites. Also watch +Ingress (the Google+ account that actually gave me my invite). Last Saturday when I was working on my invite I noticed that 3 of those 5 accounts were handing out invites every 5-10 minutes or so. If they're doing that again this Saturday, it will increase your likelihood of scoring one.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis