[Chatter] "Where everybody knows your name ..."

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Oh and in between for a couple of weeks I used a Note 8.
An absolutely gorgeous device.
Just a tad bit too big for me.
I think with that device you feel like you have a $1K phone.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
The USPS and FedEx guys were quite busy today.
1baa0374f6e853bf9c8250f247350725.jpg

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Chatter] "Where everybody knows your name ..."

The AT&T guys are invading my apartment building installing fibre for for Internet.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Pixel 2 - First day experience.

Backstory - I finally DID it. Sold every other phone I had. The only backup device I now have is a Lumia 925! I just reset the Pixel XL that I used for 15 days and packed it to ship it out.

Mini review will be posted first week in December. Next week is Thanksgiving and following week I am in Minnesota for work.

Okay, so on with the initial experience.

Size - Despite being a smidgen taller, this phone feels better ergonomically than the original Pixel. It could be due to the fact that it is slightly thinner and there is no slope from bottom to top on the back cover. Also the case I have is probably the best thin case I have found. I would have liked for them to have stereo speakers and a small chin top and bottom like the Pixel 2 XL though.

Screen - No issues. For that matter, I didn't have any issues with the OG Pixel screen as well.

Speakers - they sound great. No issues. As I said before would have liked a smaller bezel (chin) top and bottom like the Pixel 2 XL.

No headphone jack - biggest gripe. Google's dongle isn't great compared to Apple's and is expensive. Also for some bizarre reason the phone doesn't like my Motorola USB-C dongle. Go figure. I am currently charging my BT headphones and will provide an update about that later. This is probably the biggest disappointment so far.

OS - Fluid, fluid, fluid. This is is definitely snappier and faster on Oreo compared to the OG Pixel. I would say the experience on this device now closely rivals what folks get on iOS and ifruit devices.

Camera - no test driving yet.

Google Assistant using the squeeze function. I can see the benefit of it but so far have mistakenly activated it a couple of times. If it gets annoying then I will turn it off.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I got my Pixel 2XL(Panda) yesterday morning .

I pretty much have everything installed in it .I didnt use the data transfer.I prefer to set it up clean manually.

If I tilt it 45 degrees or more I do see a blue tint ,but thats the only way i notice it.Its not an issue.

Battery life has been great. Im still on my original first full charge. Around 40% left

I like the squeeze feature for Google Assistant. It guided me tho what strength of squeeze to use to activate it. So far no accidental activation of Google Assistant for me.

I have taken some camera pics just using the out of box setup .They turned out really good.I havent took any yet in low light yet.Going to walk around and take some random pics .

Oh almost forgot to mention its really smooth an fast as far as the OS goes as expected . :)

I have no regrets in getting it .

So as planned using the og Pixel (sailfish) on one line and the Pixel 2 XL Panda on my main line
da6be6432da55052e7c165d6b37f8330.jpg

Last edited:

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Im going to get me some bluetooth ear buds before long.I planned to anyway.The cheap pair I had stopped working about 2 weeks ago.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site

I got my Pixel 2XL(Panda) yesterday morning .

I pretty much have everything installed in it .I didnt use the data transfer.I prefer to set it up clean manually.

If I tilt it 45 degrees or more I do see a blue tint ,but thats the only way i notice it.Its not an issue.

Battery life has been great. Im still on my original first full charge. Around 40% left

I like the squeeze feature for Google Assistant. It guided me tho what strength of squeeze to use to activate it. So far no accidental activation of Google Assistant for me.

I have taken some camera pics just using the out of box setup .They turned out really good.I havent took any yet in low light yet.Going to walk around and take some random pics .

Oh almost forgot to mention its really smooth an fast as far as the OS goes as expected . :)

I have no regrets in getting it .

So as planned using the og Pixel (sailfish) on one line and the Pixel 2 XL Panda on my main line
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171121/da6be6432da55052e7c165d6b37f8330.jpg
Cool looking device. I have the little guy.
I used the transfer cable and everything went smoothly.

Battery life has improved for me over the week.
Yesterday was 4 he SOT with 30% left.
The phone is smooth, no jankiness at all.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Cool looking device. I have the little guy.
I used the transfer cable and everything went smoothly.

Battery life has improved for me over the week.
Yesterday was 4 he SOT with 30% left.
The phone is smooth, no jankiness at all.

I hear you on going with the smaller Pixel. If google had designed the smaller Pixel 2 like the Pixel 2 XL I might would have went with it to.
Yeah I love the smoothness of these phones.

On Battery life right now on the Pixel 2 XL its at :
5 hr 55 min SOT
35% battery left
This is the first battery cycle on it
8b7dc649249f6b4e7c34c02332184eb5.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair