Which phones do you guys think will get Jelly Bean?

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
For sure, the Nexus of this year will get it, along with Galaxy Nexus. And subsequently everything slightly before and after...as usual.

rizzman

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Whoa....slow down there buddy. Let's first focus on ICS rolling out. Plus not many phones will get past ICS thanks to carriers and manufacturers. Why would they update your fairly new devices to the latest os version if that will hinder a sale by those that want/need the update for the phone to run smoothly (g2x..<cough>). Your phone running smoothly on the latest os is not in their economic best interest. Google has no say in this. I realized this two days ago. Dropped the pos g2x and got an blocked gnex. The moment a new android version is released, the nexus owners will get it pretty quick. Everyone with a non nexus phone will have to wait till their carrier and device manufacturer get done with their "extensive testing" of the new os to make sure you all have a pleasant user experience. What a load of ...,,...@"$$;. So I would not get my hopes up that high on any current non nexus device even getting a sniff of jb or klp.

Protogenoi

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Of the smartphones currently released? The Samsung Galaxy Nexus. The next installment in the Google Nexus series will obviously be the first to have Android 5.0.

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I'll toss my two cents into the psychic wishing well and make some guesses.

Galaxy Nexus of course gets it fairly quickly. Probably a couple months after the next Nexus phone, if not earlier.

I imagine phones coming this fall and winter will be next up to get it probably about 6 months after Jelly Bean arrives. Phones from spring and summer of 2012 hopefully will be on the list, but their wait is even longer, probably 10+ months after Jelly Bean's release. Anything from 2011 will be damn lucky to get it I think.

Manufactures are just pumping out so many new models so frequently and so many variations of the same model. They've proven they really can't support phones for very long as priorities shift to newer products. Not only do you need to hope your manufacture does the update, but also the carrier. It's almost like waiting for lightning to strike twice.

I'd be really shocked if any US carrier releases Jelly Bean on a Galaxy S 2 product ever. Ya'll are gonna need a custom ROM for that.

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
which then leads to the superiority of the icrap. one manufacturer one software developer.

unfortunately for us, there are too many eggs in the basket.

LCW

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Google is partly to blame for their own problem... by being "open", they allowed every OEM under the sun to create their own crappy skins, and that's the big cause for the framentation... not to mention the gazillion hardware variations (mainly screen resolutions)...

Google could have started fresh with ICS, enforcing certain hardware parameters... In any case, things at least seem to be improved with ICS as far as consistency... it has already forced OEM's like HTC to back off on their heavily skinned UI... BUT... there's still a long way to go....

I'm glad I have a GNex though... at least it should be on the forefront of updates for the next couple of releases... even then, as shaytoon21 says, iOS will always rule in this respect....

Reactions: kitchRi