Will Android tablets to beat iPad in sales by 2015 ?

phonejunky

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Don't see this happening. Most people don't even know other tablets exist.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

S-Doo-1965

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Most people call any tablet and iPad, and smart phone an iPhone. It's like poor Whamo's Frisbee is the name of any flying disk.

I see it split 40/60 iPad in two years.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The public distrusts Android tablets at the moment... and for good reason.

The XOOM was a nightmare at first. Honeycomb wasn't ready for prime time, other vendors confused the buying public with non-stop news about tablets that didn't even exist yet. Nobody wanted to lose their piece of the pie to Motorola. Motorola, on the other hand, was stupidly silent... assuming the XOOM would sell itself, I suppose.

Add in the marketing debacle of NVIDIA announcing their next generation quad cores and you have a perfect storm. These announcements by NVIDIA essentially told the world the current round of Android tablets, most of which weren't even released yet, were already obsolete!!! What moron at NVIDIA thought that would help current sales of NVIDIA chips?!

With quad-core tablets and Ice Cream Sandwich, the Android tablets are... well... friggin' awesome. NOTHING competes...NOTHING! But it's going to take awhile for the public to get over the poop in the bed Android tablet makers (and NVIDIA) left this past year. In that time, many potential Android tablet owners will purchase iPads. IMHO, there just isn't as much market for tablets as phones, so that will be a critical time to pick up market share and this will further harm Android tablets for years to come.

IMHO, the tablet market will eventually mirror the phone market, with Android tablets eclipsing iPad. But the whole timetable has been pushed back. Sure, the Android tablet market share will grow, but nothing like it would have.

"Will Android tablets beat iPad sales by 2015?" That's a long way out. I would hope Android tablets would recover and enjoy brisk sales by then. I'd say "yes." They may not "eclipse" iPad by then, but there should be more Android tablets sold than iPads by then.

Of course, the wild card in this whole thought process is Windows. If Microsoft pulls of a successful Windows tablet... something that gives the full power of a notebook in a tablet form... Android will be dust in the wind. Google has been lax in their efforts to add utility to their tools. Look at Google Docs. Why the heck doesn't that compete with Microsoft Office yet? The "creation" side of things just pales in comparison to Microsoft.

I've been in the Apple camp. I owned the first three iPhones. I have personal insight into the mindset of both iPhone and Android groups. If Microsoft is successful, I predict most Apple users will continue to reject reality and stay mindlessly loyal to Apple. But I see most Android users jumping off the Android platform for the promise of full blown Windows on a tablet. So if Microsoft does a good job with Windows on a tablet, I see Windows being the dominant mobile platform and Android will be a historical footnote.

Last edited:

anjali_jain

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't think that an exact forecast can be made just yet. The market has changed so fast in recent times with the release of the kindle fire, and there has not been sufficient data yet to see how the market will change in even the next year let alone the next three years. There is just way to a lot of variables to make an exact forecast at this time so this forecast should be taken with a grain of salt.

Wontfinishlast

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
Windows 8 is a huge wildcard in this discussion... It is basically an os designed specifically for tablets... Could easy steal most of android's market share.

Apple users will stay totally loyal to apple because, you know, it was first and therefore must be best. (Totally backwards in the world of tech) :rolleyes:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Unless the Android tablet ecosystem gets better, I don't see Android tablets overtaking the iPad.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Windows 8 is a huge wildcard in this discussion... It is basically an os designed specifically for tablets... Could easy steal most of android's market share.

Apple users will stay totally loyal to apple because, you know, it was first and therefore must be best. (Totally backwards in the world of tech) :rolleyes:

Agreed.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Android fall to third place in the tablet space when Windows 8 launches.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Unless the Android tablet ecosystem gets better, I don't see Android tablets overtaking the iPad.

I think this is a good statement, but with ICS, the ecosystem is finally beginning to gel. It will be the segmentation of exotic flavors of android and many hardware sellers that will keep it watered down...however, I fundamentally disagree, Android will take the market by saturation in less that two years...it is all about reaching markets, and Apple only wants one kind of market....the rest will be history.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
The public distrusts Android tablets at the moment... and for good reason.

The XOOM was a nightmare at first. Honeycomb wasn't ready for prime time, other vendors confused the buying public with non-stop news about tablets that didn't even exist yet. Nobody wanted to lose their piece of the pie to Motorola. Motorola, on the other hand, was stupidly silent... assuming the XOOM would sell itself, I suppose.

Add in the marketing debacle of NVIDIA announcing their next generation quad cores and you have a perfect storm. These announcements by NVIDIA essentially told the world the current round of Android tablets, most of which weren't even released yet, were already obsolete!!! What moron at NVIDIA thought that would help current sales of NVIDIA chips?!

With quad-core tablets and Ice Cream Sandwich, the Android tablets are... well... friggin' awesome. NOTHING competes...NOTHING! But it's going to take awhile for the public to get over the poop in the bed Android tablet makers (and NVIDIA) left this past year. In that time, many potential Android tablet owners will purchase iPads. IMHO, there just isn't as much market for tablets as phones, so that will be a critical time to pick up market share and this will further harm Android tablets for years to come.

IMHO, the tablet market will eventually mirror the phone market, with Android tablets eclipsing iPad. But the whole timetable has been pushed back. Sure, the Android tablet market share will grow, but nothing like it would have.

"Will Android tablets beat iPad sales by 2015?" That's a long way out. I would hope Android tablets would recover and enjoy brisk sales by then. I'd say "yes." They may not "eclipse" iPad by then, but there should be more Android tablets sold than iPads by then.

Of course, the wild card in this whole thought process is Windows. If Microsoft pulls of a successful Windows tablet... something that gives the full power of a notebook in a tablet form... Android will be dust in the wind. Google has been lax in their efforts to add utility to their tools. Look at Google Docs. Why the heck doesn't that compete with Microsoft Office yet? The "creation" side of things just pales in comparison to Microsoft.

I've been in the Apple camp. I owned the first three iPhones. I have personal insight into the mindset of both iPhone and Android groups. If Microsoft is successful, I predict most Apple users will continue to reject reality and stay mindlessly loyal to Apple. But I see most Android users jumping off the Android platform for the promise of full blown Windows on a tablet. So if Microsoft does a good job with Windows on a tablet, I see Windows being the dominant mobile platform and Android will be a historical footnote.

SO glad you are a thoughtful man of words, or I would say, "great wall of text!" :D

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I think this is a good statement, but with ICS, the ecosystem is finally beginning to gel. It will be the segmentation of exotic flavors of android and many hardware sellers that will keep it watered down...however, I fundamentally disagree, Android will take the market by saturation in less that two years...it is all about reaching markets, and Apple only wants one kind of market....the rest will be history.

Tablets are different from phones. Tablets aren't a necessity as much as phones are. I don't see Android matching iOS in the tablet space like they've done in the phone space by 2015.

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
This piece of news is based on the mere activation rate numbers and, although, I think Android tablets may one day surpass the Ipad, it won't be anytime soon.

Ipads are also being produced every year, so it's not exactly a walk in the park.