Android Cheap iPhones?

Saiga

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I don't understand where you're coming from. On one hand, you say Android is the new dumb phone because you can get one for free. When I point out that iPhone can had just as free, you balk?

My original post included this.

The common everyday person doesn't see any value in a specific phone over the mountain of free ones. The Apple fans will spend the money for the iPhone because it is the iPhone, but for any other smartphone they expect it to be free now. Even die hard Android fan friends of mine are that way now. That is the main thing that is killing Nokia and RIM in my opinion. People don't want to pay the money for a Windows phone or a BlackBerry phone when they can just walkout with a free Android device.

Apple fans buy the latest anything Apple, they line up all over the world for it. Consumers are all about paying for an iOS device. The same can't be said for Android.

Again I hate Apple. But I am smart enough to realize that a lot of people happily pay money for Apple crap. I can't think of a single person I know personally who has a iPhone that was free.

phonejunky

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site

Apple fans buy the latest anything Apple, they line up all over the world for it. Consumers are all about paying for an iOS device. The same can't be said for Android.

Again I hate Apple. But I am smart enough to realize that a lot of people happily pay money for Apple crap. I can't think of a single person I know personally who has a iPhone that was free.

Well this won't be so true once the S3 drops.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

The common everyday person doesn't see any value in a specific phone over the mountain of free ones. The Apple fans will spend the money for the iPhone because it is the iPhone, but for any other smartphone they expect it to be free now. Even die hard Android fan friends of mine are that way now. That is the main thing that is killing Nokia and RIM in my opinion. People don't want to pay the money for a Windows phone or a BlackBerry phone when they can just walkout with a free Android device.

I read it the first time. That part is not hard to understand. You're claiming Android is sucking up the low end of the market because they have free and deeply discounted phones.

Just because you don't know anyone who selected a free iPhone under contract doesn't mean they are not available. I don't know anyone who selected a free Android phone, but that fact doesn't cause me to believe they don't exist.

...or are you acknowledging both phones are available for free, but you are attempting to claim people (for reasons unknown) only choose free Android phones?

What am I missing here? I'd like to understand your point, but honestly, your logic escapes me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ry

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
What's sad to me is that most "average consumers" think that the iPhone is the best phone on the market. There are just so many things wrong with it just like every other phone.
Like just the other day, my friends and I were talking about the iPhone, and I said "its really not all that great" and their jaws dropped.
I think that the iPhone is a cheap version of android with the latest iOS 5 update.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

What's best for you might not be best for someone else.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
True. Samsung has done very well lately.

Actually isn't Samsung the only Android OEM that is profitable now? I think HTC lost money last quarter.

Yeah they had a good year this year galaxy nexus galaxy note and the upcoming sg3

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
So I know that Android has high-end smartphones just like Apple's iPhone. Also Android has phone far more capable and more customizable then Apple's single handset. My question is why can't Android shake that cheap iPhone status that seems to have iPhone users and the blogosphere run to that tune. Is Android really the cheap iPhone in the american tech publics eyes regardless of the feature rich android devices? does the hardware decide which one is the high echelon of devices?

I think that stigma might be because of the fact that there are more cheap android phones than high end phones, $.01 phones are all over carrier sites. Why do you think android also has such a high market share.

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
What's sad to me is that most "average consumers" think that the iPhone is the best phone on the market. There are just so many things wrong with it just like every other phone.
Like just the other day, my friends and I were talking about the iPhone, and I said "its really not all that great" and their jaws dropped.
I think that the iPhone is a cheap version of android with the latest iOS 5 update.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I'm sorry but there are. Lot of cheap crappy android phones that can be had for $.01. The iPhone is far superior than these phones.

pmoser

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I think that stigma might be because of the fact that there are more cheap android phones than high end phones, $.01 phones are all over carrier sites. Why do you think android also has such a high market share.

Because its the better operating system, Apple has a 1 sent phone and an 100 dollar phone. I don't like when people use the lowend phones as an excuse for androids msrketshare

Sent from my DROID Incredible

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Because its the better operating system, Apple has a 1 sent phone and an 100 dollar phone. I don't like when people use the lowend phones as an excuse for androids msrketshare

Sent from my DROID Incredible

But that's a fact. How do you think they figure that in. If they only took the top 5 high end phones from android I think we'd see a much different Marketshare. Wouldn't you agree? I mean there are hundreds of android phones. Over saturate the market & of course you get higher Marketshare.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
There's a good number of Android fans that still believe the iPhone is "expensive".

That could also add to the perception of Android being cheap.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
its not bout being cheap its about getting what u pay for I'll rather pay 500 for a sgs3 than any iPhone period

Sent from my Nexus S 4g using Tapatalk 2

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
The Iphone is still the most expensive phone unsubsidized. I remember getting a Blackberry Bold 9900 with a couple accessories and it still ended up being cheaper than any 64 G Iphone 4s sans contract. It goes to show how much of a sum the carriers pay to get those Iphones into consumers ' hands. It's crazy.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
The sgs3 is 650 no contract... Such as the photon was.

Honestly, I don't see a point of buying a 64gb iPoS with the cloud available...

Sent using my MoPho-King photon

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
The sgs3 is 650 no contract... Such as the photon was.

Honestly, I don't see a point of buying a 64gb iPoS with the cloud available...

Sent using my MoPho-King photon

Storage capacity on a device becomes very important now with the data caps. I would hate to have to continually upload pics, vids, and music into the cloud and then have to pull them back again when my data is limited.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

dn0rk

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Even though comparing the two is apple and oranges ...Im gonna agree that Android is a poor mans iphone! But that shouldn't be interpreted as a bad thing. Android is the blue collar OS of the smartphone world. I can't afford to pay for music and movies; therefore the benefits of android appeals to me. android makes it easier to get hold of media, all without ever syncing to a computer. Android provides an area of freedom mostly appreciated by users with less disposable income Unchecking the box to allow out of market downloads is the equivalent to the results of jailbreaking an iphone.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
dn0rk,
What you're saying is there are economies built into the Android ecosystem that fit your needs better than the iOS ecosystem can. That fact doesn't make Android phones the "poor man's iPhone" nor does it make Android the "blue collar OS of the smartphone world."

That would be like saying Chevrolet is the poor man's / blue collar car of the auto industry because it makes the Sonic, which offers great fuel economy and a price of only $13K. ...completely ignoring the fact that Chevrolet also makes the Volt, a state of the art electric car, and the Corvette, the iconic American sports car.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Storage capacity on a device becomes very important now with the data caps. I would hate to have to continually upload pics, vids, and music into the cloud and then have to pull them back again when my data is limited.

Great point!

We've been seeing a trend away from memory cards. It would be good for everyone if that trend reverses.

The "cloud" is great, but not if it means a small cost must be incurred every time data is accessed.