Android Cheap iPhones?

phonejunky

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
So I know that Android has high-end smartphones just like Apple's iPhone. Also Android has phone far more capable and more customizable then Apple's single handset. My question is why can't Android shake that cheap iPhone status that seems to have iPhone users and the blogosphere run to that tune. Is Android really the cheap iPhone in the american tech publics eyes regardless of the feature rich android devices? does the hardware decide which one is the high echelon of devices?

garrim85

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
For me so far, and emphasis on *so far*, there hasn't been an Android phone that can match the build quality of the iPhone 4/4S. Beyond actually being a well made unit, it just feels like a very expensive device. Most Android phones are made of plastic, some exceptions of course, but the majority are just plastic shells. All of Apple's products have an expensive external hardware shell. Their computers are made of aluminum, iPhone is mostly glass and some aluminum or steel (whatever the antenna is made of), etc.

On the software end, yes iOS is limited as far as customization, but it runs really great. Really smooth. "It just works." iOS is very user friendly, easy to learn and figure out. There are far more people that just want a simple experience rather than being in control of everything going on and have all the customization that Android offers. That's just how it is.

As an extension of that, a lot of people dislike the fact there are soooo many Android phones to choose from. And on top of that, it seems like once the newest best thing comes out only a couple of months later something even better has hit the market. A lot of people like the idea of getting one new device every year, with the only options being what size storage capacity and choosing between black or white. It's easier to choose between two colors and ~3 storage capacities for one device than 5-10 different high end Android phones and all their options for color/storage.

Then it's just the marketing and general view of Apple as a company and it's products that oozes out of everything they make. Their stuff is expensive, mostly due to build materials + the good 'ol Apple brand name tax, and to the general public expensive = better.

Add all that up and that's your answer.

But at the end of the day, who cares? Just use what you want. Enjoy it.

Last edited:

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I disagree with the whole "Andriod is cheap" mentality. Unlike the singular iPhone, there are a wide range of Android phones to fit just about every situation. Not that I haven't seen it, but how many people can actually feel good about giving their teen/pre-teen a $400 phone? I would feel much better with them having a $50 phone that can do everything the iPhone can do. Even with that being said, some $50 phones are just as well built as the iPhone. I've had an HTC Inspire for over a year and there's barely a mark on it, and it has taken some falls. With it's metal unibody construction, it can take some abuse. And it cost me $50 on contract. Yes, there are some manufacturers that prefer to use too much plastic, and they don't always cost less, but that's where choice comes in. If it seems cheaply built, I'll buy a different model, because there's a lot to choose from.

IMO, Android is more for tech geeks (like myself) that like the customization potential it brings. I'll never go back to iPhone (yes, I converted from iPhone).

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I like the fact Android has cheap phones though, and not priced at the exorbitant prices Apple tag their items with at the expense of consumers... I like the fact that Android does what I want it to do and that price is not dependent on the brand name, and when it's actually priced high I know I am getting the high end ones and the quality will be, of course, good.

phonejunky

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I disagree with the whole "Andriod is cheap" mentality. Unlike the singular iPhone, there are a wide range of Android phones to fit just about every situation. Not that I haven't seen it, but how many people can actually feel good about giving their teen/pre-teen a $400 phone? I would feel much better with them having a $50 phone that can do everything the iPhone can do. Even with that being said, some $50 phones are just as well built as the iPhone. I've had an HTC Inspire for over a year and there's barely a mark on it, and it has taken some falls. With it's metal unibody construction, it can take some abuse. And it cost me $50 on contract. Yes, there are some manufacturers that prefer to use too much plastic, and they don't always cost less, but that's where choice comes in. If it seems cheaply built, I'll buy a different model, because there's a lot to choose from.

IMO, Android is more for tech geeks (like myself) that like the customization potential it brings. I'll never go back to iPhone (yes, I converted from iPhone).

Very well written post. And I agree with everything you said until you brought up a 50 dollar phone was built just as good as the iPhone. But everything else is very true. But aren't you really arguing the poibt Android phones are cheap by emphasizing their plastic make-up. And that they are feature rich which in a way makes up for it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

garrim85

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Actually thinking about it, the iPhone is the same as the majority of the high end Android phones when it comes to price. ~$200 on contract, ~$6-700 off contract.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Very well written post. And I agree with everything you said until you brought up a 50 dollar phone was built just as good as the iPhone. But everything else is very true. But aren't you really arguing the poibt Android phones are cheap by emphasizing their plastic make-up. And that they are feature rich which in a way makes up for it

I should have elaborated. The Inspire was deeply discounted on-contract. I think the MSRP when it came out was $549. I think AT&T could have easily charged $199, but sold it for $99. Many people were able to get it for $49. So it's not really a $50 phone in terms of quality.

Yes, there are some cheaply built Andriod phones, and their pricing usually reflects that. There are also many that are very well built. So the general "Android phones are cheap" view I think is unfair.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I should have elaborated. The Inspire was deeply discounted on-contract. I think the MSRP when it came out was $549. I think AT&T could have easily charged $199, but sold it for $99. Many people were able to get it for $49. So it's not really a $50 phone in terms of quality.

Yes, there are some cheaply built Andriod phones, and their pricing usually reflects that. There are also many that are very well built. So the general "Android phones are cheap" view I think is unfair.

I agree with this statement. While I haven't seen a android device that cost 200 in raw materials to manufacture like the iPhone, there are some nice finishes on flagship devices. The droid razer is probably expensive to make with that gorrila glass and carbon fiber back.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Some of the motorola and htc phones look like they are of the highest quality. I do like the build of the iPhone. Its design is the best looking, but only by a slim margin over the competition. But the competition is getting better and better all the time.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Some of the motorola and htc phones look like they are of the highest quality. I do like the build of the iPhone. Its design is the best looking, but only by a slim margin over the competition. But the competition is getting better and better all the time.

I think the design of the Iphone is old. design hasn't really changed much since the 1st iphone.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
End up like RIM? Are you serious? Do you have ANY idea how much CASH Apple has in the bank? LOL. No tech company in history has ever generated as much revenue from their hardware and software as Apple. And you can be sure the next generation phone will set another benchmark even though the 4S wasn't anything special.

As to Android phones being cheap, I don't call the Galaxy Note at $299 cheap though the build quality of Samsung doesn't even come close to Apple products. I think the other thing that makes Android phones difficult is that the software is not designed exclusively for each device like Apple. Therefore, you get an array of overlays that may or may not help performance, user experience etc.

I have been looking at Andriod phones for several months now, since I feel that the iPhone is boring in comparison. HOWEVER, the iOS is very stable, rarely has problems like many Android devices and is supported by the many Apple stores across the nation. The iPhone I have now was replaced FIVE times due to battery issues which went way beyond the warranty. You find Samsung, HTC or Motorola doing that will you? And no, I'm NOT dissing Android phone.. simply making a comparison. :cool:

phonejunky

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
End up like RIM? Are you serious? Do you have ANY idea how much CASH Apple has in the bank? LOL. No tech company in history has ever generated as much revenue from their hardware and software as Apple. And you can be sure the next generation phone will set another benchmark even though the 4S wasn't anything special.

As to Android phones being cheap, I don't call the Galaxy Note at $299 cheap though the build quality of Samsung doesn't even come close to Apple products. I think the other thing that makes Android phones difficult is that the software is not designed exclusively for each device like Apple. Therefore, you get an array of overlays that may or may not help performance, user experience etc.

I have been looking at Andriod phones for several months now, since I feel that the iPhone is boring in comparison. HOWEVER, the iOS is very stable, rarely has problems like many Android devices and is supported by the many Apple stores across the nation. The iPhone I have now was replaced FIVE times due to battery issues which went way beyond the warranty. You find Samsung, HTC or Motorola doing that will you? And no, I'm NOT dissing Android phone.. simply making a comparison. :cool:

Sorry I should have hinted at my sarcasm better. I'm a huge Apple fan and I know they are the most valuable tech company in the world. They also have more things to sale then just phones unlike RIM.

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site

FIVE replacements, and there isn't a problem? Gee, I'm glad all I have to do is order another battery, pop the back, and put a new one in, and charge. Or I go to the carrier store store and they do all the work for me.

garrim85

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
His point though was that it was replaced out of warranty. Apple has the best customer service, period. And all you need to do is go to the store, get a replacement phone and sign in with your Apple ID on the phone and it will restore it to your last cloud backup, everything except music. Usually they have around 50% charge out of the box as well which is good for several hours. Nevermind the fact that this isn't something common at all in the first place, and it costs you nothing except a little time and gas to get to the store. You're right, that is so terrible. :p

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I think if you thoroughly investigate the number of issues Apple hardware has as opposed to the range of problems with Andriod phones, there is literally NO comparison. Just browse the various forums here by manufacturer, which is what I've been doing. You see problems ranging from "cannot connect to WiFi to issues setting up emails and exchange syncs, battery life, etc, etc, etc, etc".

So the point I wish to make is that while I think the Android OS is far advanced in many ways over iOS, the fact that there are TONS of Android phones, each with an array of issues, adds up to total confusion when contemplating which phone to use.

And yes, exchanging an iPhone 5 times for a battery issue is no small deal. However, outside of the battery issue and Apple releasing an OS designed for a new phone that turned the previous generation phone into a slug, the issues I've experienced for almost 4 years aren't even close to what I see here in the various Android forums.

Bottom line: I have serious concerns about pulling the trigger with any Android phone. I think Samsung does a good job to some degree, but build quality and other issues keeps me from going with them. HTC offers nice build quality, but their phones have issues too. Windows OS seems boring to me, too.

smcolbert

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I think a lot of people jumped on the "Android is cheap" bandwagon because their first smart phone was a cheap android and they converted to apple and of course saw a night and day difference.

I sell both, and working with the general consumer I usually push people into iPhones. Android is great, but you are expected to know and care about how too much of your phone works. People like the iPhone because it treats them like they're ignorant compared to an Android, and that's exactly what,most consumers want.

Sent from my GT-P7510

Reactions: Mjones307

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance