Replace TFT with AMOLED

firecrotch666

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys.
I recently bought a high end phone, and I'm not happy with the screen. It's clean and all, but I'd like an AMOLED for darker blacks.
I'm wondering if I can replace the TFT display with an AMOLED display, it does not matter if I need new digitizers, I will buy those and whatever is needed, as long as I'm able to do this.

So, it's a simple yes or no question, of course I'd love an explanation if the answer is no.
Thanks. :)

UCLA 15

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Certainly no. This is not a simple matter, it's not like swapping out your stock wheels on your car for some aftermarket wheels.

Essentially every display for every phone is a one-off. They all have unique construction, technologies (I'm talking about very technical things beyond just LCD vs. AMOLED), dimensions, and so forth. Even if you could get your hands onto a AMOLED display of the same size as your TFT, you couldn't simply "swap" them out. Your display may be fused to the frame, fused to the glass, and so getting it out would damage a lot. The other display might not have the right curvature, may be the wrong size (how thick it is), and certainly the device was not designed for it in the first place. If this was even possible, it would be cheaper just to sell your device and get AMOLED one.

John Yu

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
It would be an interesting DIY project to swap a screen, but it's probably amazingly hard. If you can do it, please post your instructions here ^^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty