The phone manufacturers need to slow down.

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
So I can't help but think that in the rush to get the next best phone into our "I want It now grubby little paws" quality is taking a big hit.
Reading all the trouble people have with these phones,seeing some people having to exchange phones 3 or 4 times to get one that works, exchanging phones and having differences in screen quality and other basic features and terrible signal issues on some while others in the same area have great signals screams shoddy manufacturing standards.
I know I for one would rather wait an extra month to get a phone than to go thru the headache and waste of my time dealing with the carriers to replace a non working device. Coupled with the fact that depending on where you buy the phone if issues pop up after X amount of days your new phone is replaced with a refurbished one even if it is a manufacturer defect and no fault of your own, makes me say quality is more important than getting my phone yesterday.

Thoughts?

I don't care what kind of phone you use, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence. Sent using tapatalk 2.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I agree.

But it doesn't seem to be limited to just Android manufacturers or any one in particular. I've had all my iPhone's (original 3x, 3G once, 4 twice) replaced at least once and my Lumia 900 as well.

I think it's just the nature of the business. Electronics are made at high volume very quickly so issues can arise at any turn very easily on a device. The manufacturers should have more quality control for sure. Or at least offer better warranty support.

giograves

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
It just seems like the return process with Android devices turns people back to iphones REALLY fast. No empirical data, just feedback from friends.

I'd like manufacturers to slow down for other reasons. Really, seems like all these phones are just clones of each other just with updated specs here and there. Just exacerbates the lack of brand identification with android. iphone is becoming synonymous with "Kleenex" or "Band-aid" at least in "hip and trendy" nyc.. smartphone = iphone here. pisses me off.

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
In all seriousness, people will tell you that there are only so many ways to make a smartphone in the sense of a rectangular touch screen.

Capacitive and physical buttons can be positioned anywhere on the device, as long as someone else did't use them there and patented it.....ahem....Apple.

We have seen enough of this as the patent lawsuit fights are in full swing over things like a swipe to unlock.

Hardware is hardware. I still remember having to return PC parts to the store due to it not working properly. Sometimes it can be things like a broken solder joint or a capacitor that fails etc...The manufacturer takes the device back, repairs the problem and sells it as a refurbished device. Good as new, but can't be called that as it has been slightly used.

I have a laptop from Dell that is a refurbished model. Never had issues with it and looked good as new right from the brown unmarked box. The only difference was that I did't get all of the goodies in the box that I would have gotten if new.

And as for phone manufacturers making phones so fast. Newer models are always needed. The market is such that cell phone contracts are ending everyday and people want to upgrade to newer more capable devices. We are in a time with phones now where the software in the market is driving the need for faster and more powerful phone cpus. Apple pushed that with their Infinity Blade app. The graphics were such a drain on the system that they bought and introduced a more powerful gpu to run more graphically intensive apps and used Infinity Blade to showcase the power of the new chip. Kind of like PCs in their day, always trying to keep up with the games manufacturers in the hardware specs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Dave_k605

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Android is based on choices, more the merrier.....being em on, as a phone enthusiast o love hearing of all the new stiff coming out....I couldn't imagine being a apple fan BORING!

also new models get people into stores and create sales, I think the issues you talk about just plain come down to mass production......and there are ways to fix quality without slowing down progression in the way we communicate.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I just want OEMs to be able to make a profit so they can stay in business and we can get some good phones.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

motodroidgirl

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Android is based on choices, more the merrier.....being em on, as a phone enthusiast o love hearing of all the new stiff coming out....I couldn't imagine being a apple fan BORING!

also new models get people into stores and create sales, I think the issues you talk about just plain come down to mass production......and there are ways to fix quality without slowing down progression in the way we communicate.

motodroidgirl

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I so love smartphones some better than other,but the phones keep changing boy i cant keep up much less afford some have problems i say mass production to with a new year approaching comes new smartphones

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Samsung got it rite release a general brand over all the carriers internationally that way it is cheaper for design and production and release its subsiquent internental next up once a year to keep up with the spec interations and seems HTC is on that path as well but they need to do like samy and release the same thing over all networks instead of 4 phones for one and almost the same for 3 other networks that drives cost up and a gigantic head ache further fragmentation and a wtf is this with. Consumers we need a unification with android and if all oems would set standards it would be a glorious thing
INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM ;)

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
A another problem lies with the carriers they want 5 versions of the sane phon in differ ant form factors to confuse you and hold hostage features to the more premium phones so they need to stand up to them and say screw you we bring you a lot of money let us do what we do and this is actually benificial to everyone as I can give you all a set price for all handsets and it lowers the price for the average Joe and makes it within their price range therefore giving you a wider customer base for the smart phone and increasing sells price is a major factor that's over looked carriers want too much ist discusting idk how apple gets away with it but they do if they would all play fare more people could enjoy it

INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21