Which would you choose? Verizon device.

Which Verizon Android Device?

• Total voters

sodaboy581

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
So, basically, I had bought a Motorola XOOM on contract back during the Black Friday sale for $199. I ended up selling the device but not cancelling my Verizon contract, so I've basically been paying the $30 a month since January or so.

Still paying now, but with no device, and thinking I'd like to activate a new device on my contract. (Though, I'm going to pay the off contract price for a device.)

I've basically been thinking of choosing between:

A) A Galaxy Nexus
B) Waiting for the Samsung Galaxy S III developer edition.
C) Buying a Nexus 7, along with a MiFi and tethering the Nexus 7 to the MiFi.

Out of these 3 options, what would you go for?

If you have an even better choice than either of the 3, let me know! Thank you!!

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Depends. Are you going to root/rom whatever phone you get? Or keep it stock?

If you're going to root and rom, then updates don't really matter. Then it's all hardware, and the SGSIII has better hardware than the Gnex.

Keeping it stock? Get the Gnex.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
But they are going to make you change plans, because I don't think you can have a phone without a voice plan. If you don't want to spend more than $30/mo then get the mifi.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Wondrous thing about LTE is that you can take the SIM chip that came inside the Xoom, and install it inside a Verizon LTE phone and data just works.. no phone calls though.

I've done this and vice versa, taken a phone LTE SIM and popped it inside my hotspot. It works!

sodaboy581

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Depends. Are you going to root/rom whatever phone you get? Or keep it stock?

If you're going to root and rom, then updates don't really matter. Then it's all hardware, and the SGSIII has better hardware than the Gnex.

Keeping it stock? Get the Gnex.

I'll probably root. Don't know about doing too much ROM stuff... If I need to ROM to enable USB Host, then I will.

About that $30/mo plan, I might add a voice plan, because... right now... I'm using a company phone for my mobile phone calls. I'm thinking about splitting to two phones, one personal and one business.

Galaxy Nexus has points over the SGSIII because it has JB already... but I think once the SGSIII developer edition comes out, I think the devs will get on porting JB to that really quickly... Well, they're already working on it for the T-Mobile and AT&T SGSIII, though it has some glitches and unsupported hardware features. I'm hoping (crossing fingers and toes here), that they'll get those ironed out quickly.

Thank you all for your input so far, though!!

DroidDavi

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
Buy a unlocked gsm nexus tether to mifi. So you have Verizon speeds but don't have to deal with there late updates to the nexus. Just use Google voice for text and calls. I know a few guys who do this already. I know this wasn't a option but i works

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Google Voice won't make phone calls without an active voice plan. It's not 100% voip yet so I'm not sure how they are doing this.

sodaboy581

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
So, what I ended up doing, was cancelling my Verizon contract and buying a GSM unlocked Galaxy Nexus HSPA+ phone from Google Play.

I plan to use T-Mobile's $30 a month 100 minutes, unlimited text, and 5GB of HSPA+ data plan.. If I buy a tablet again later, I will just use the Wi-Fi Hotspot option on the Nexus.

T-Mobile coverage is decent in the bay area, where I live. And I figure 5GB HSPA+ data, 100 minutes and unlimited texting for $30 a month is better than 2GB LTE data, no minutes, and no texting for $30 a month.

I'll be eating an ETF for canceling Verizon, but I figure it's worth it.

Cheers!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia