Carriers interference with phone design good or evil??

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
It seems internationally and here at home (USA) there are differ ant carriers that want the same phone but in differant form factors which OK I can distinguish this phone from that one but its a differ ant name differant slightly modified hard ware different price points but with the gs3 we see the only differance is the carrier and chip set (tegra3 or the snap dragon) other than that everything is the same if apple can get away with it with all the iPhones designs identical to its generation why not other poems? It drives up cost and design messes with quality I mite be over simplifying but when will the madness end?? What are your thoughts? I'm interested like the one x for example almost the same as the evo 4g late slightly differant hardware way differ ant shells I just want a once a year integration of flag ship mid and low to keep up with specs am I a dreamer or an oversimplified jerk off??

INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM ;)

caleb02

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It seems internationally and here at home (USA) there are differ ant carriers that want the same phone but in differant form factors which OK I can distinguish this phone from that one but its a differ ant name differant slightly modified hard ware different price points but with the gs3 we see the only differance is the carrier and chip set (tegra3 or the snap dragon) other than that everything is the same if apple can get away with it with all the iPhones designs identical to its generation why not other poems? It drives up cost and design messes with quality I mite be over simplifying but when will the madness end?? What are your thoughts? I'm interested like the one x for example almost the same as the evo 4g late slightly differant hardware way differ ant shells I just want a once a year integration of flag ship mid and low to keep up with specs am I a dreamer or an oversimplified jerk off??

I agree we need no carrier controls. The manufacture should control it and push updates. Either it well work on the Cartier our it won't

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ZachA

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I think the manufacturers should build the phone how they want not have the carriers decide how they want it. Also the updates should be pushed once they are complete not have them sent to the carrier's so they can add bloatware and take there time of when to release it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Well since carriers buy the phones from manufacturers to sell to us, before they sell them they can do whatever they want to the phone before they sell them to us.

But I agree carriers should not be allowed to interfere with a manufacturers os/phone design, their stupid useless bloatware that can't be uninstalled without rooting your phone is highly frustrating. Verizon and att are big violators to this.

The possible inclusion of a root detector in the boot loader that Verizon forced on Motorola phones isn't very fair, while I don't think it's ethical to return a rooted bricked phone in exchange for another (at least not repeatedly) Verizon and other carriers have absolutely no right strong arming manufacturers. It's bad enough certain app developers have resorted to including root detection coding in their apps.

People should know and accept the responsibilities before rooting their phones or modifying the software.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
ah man brother research is everything this is my second phone rooted been with android since 1.6 donut 2 years ago on the experia x10 and gonna reaplace this one in January both rooted and love it I even soft bricked it twice during the root got it back (thanks to boot recovery) and yea it wasn't the root kit it was a messed up data cable that lost connection during the script but eh what you gonna do when your hell bent on rooting :)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It's bad enough certain app developers have resorted to including root detection coding in their apps.

Not sure why it's bad that certain app developers check for a level of security when coding their apps. They have every right to protect their content. And if rooting causes someone else's app not to work:

People should know and accept the responsibilities before rooting their phones or modifying the software.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
its evil. +1 to samsung for keepin the s3 (on the outside) the same globaly :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
its evil. +1 to samsung for keepin the s3 (on the outside) the same globaly :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Only Samsung and Apple have that kind of pull right now. :(

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
It's good for marketing, it generally not good for users (but most don't care or have no idea), for them they get product not matching the original phone (it's sometimes good sometiems bad) and makes update process longer. In Europe (atleast here in Poland, but e got T-Mobile and Orange) our carriers don't interfere with hardware (thank god!), there was only Era G1 (Era later on been taken over by T-Mobile) which is T-Mobile G1 the first commercial Android phone, but as i remember this phone was only sold that way.

Apple would never allowed to do that to iPhone, they got mentality of electonics virgin (thru they not virgin anymore, remember HP iPods? :p), which is good thing, sicne oyu get the same whatever distribution you use.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Only Samsung and Apple have that kind of pull right now. :(

its a start though and in the UK for example its very rare to have carrier specific phones and its usualy just a re-name and bit of bloatware, no physical changes.
hope it continues... US carriers seem to have far too much power, make too much profit and rip off their customers.
i use a pre-pay sim for cheap unlimited data etc and when a better deal comes along, ill just swap sims and transfer my number. more north americans should be doing this to take the power away from these carriers (honestly dont wana sound patronising... just want my transatlantic cousins to think differently) ;)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
its a start though and in the UK for example its very rare to have carrier specific phones and its usualy just a re-name and bit of bloatware, no physical changes.
hope it continues... US carriers seem to have far too much power, make too much profit and rip off their customers.
i use a pre-pay sim for cheap unlimited data etc and when a better deal comes along, ill just swap sims and transfer my number. more north americans should be doing this to take the power away from these carriers (honestly dont wana sound patronising... just want my transatlantic cousins to think differently) ;)

I'm curious. Are there any laws or rules and regulations in the UK and EU that limit carrier interference when it comes to bloatware?

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
dont think so mate. i got my s3 unbranded but phones (even on pre-pay sims) are sold slightly cheaper if theyre locked to that carrier and branded with their badge and bloatware (in UK anyway)

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Evil!

Carriers need to stick to providing service and stay the hell out of the cellphone business. They should only be selling SERVICE not mucking up cellphones!

All phones should be running on universal GSM networks so that anyone can buy any GSM phone and use it on any carrier.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Evil!

Carriers need to stick to providing service and stay the hell out of the cellphone business. They should only be selling SERVICE not mucking up cellphones!

All phones should be running on universal GSM networks so that anyone can buy any GSM phone and use it on any carrier.

Curious, what cell phone do you use?

timato

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
You would think that manufacturers would make more money by making the same phone across all carriers rather than doing exclusives. The gs3 and even the galaxy nexus seem like the right direction. I would Imagine the accessories industry would benefit as well. As for all the other phones, there must be some big incentive to do things the way they are even if it doesn't make sense.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Evil!

GSM used everywhere else, CDMA is anomaly in US :p maybe you would find it some other countries, but majority of the world use GSM.

But phone market is not so worse as digital cable TV service market (atleast in europe), service provides used less avabilty of hardware at begining to lock people in there boxes. DVB-T is open with hardware... now most TV has it that are in sale :p DVB-S is like DSL internet providers, they may push you locked box but you can sue your own hardware if you which, some even provide DVB-IC cards (since there few encryption types that decoder does not support by default, DVB-IC is PCMCIA card that extence digital tuner that deals with it)... but on DVB-C they give they not thinking even telling you about it, you need to use there box... hopefully this wil change then more TV with DVB-C will start to show up... CDMA by it's nature even not giving you that hope

DVB-IC was made specially for paid TV providers to work on any digital TV tuner across all DVB standards, but only DVB-T and partly DVB-S trully use it

Conclusion: Service Providers whatever type want you to lock you in there service in all cost.

I personally use pre-paid, you by any phone in electronic store, you can buy it on rates if you like... it's not different from what carriers doing by selling you phone, you can buy sim card even in kiosk without any contract and you ready to go, when you charge they give you time to charge another card if you wont do that you wont abel to do calls, but you still got time to charge until you lose your number, you at leats need to charge around 15$ (50zł) once a ear to not lose the number. There also data pre-paid option for modems and more internet centric phone users (but call prices are not that bad), with data depending what prepaid you use(50zł card gives 3GB that i was not able to use in 3 months of validy, some carriers give even more). But my carrier what me to lure for contract or mix (contracted pre-paid, which is illusion you having pre-paid, but you in contract and diffrence is you just paying with pre-paids instead of using bank :p im not sure if there something like that in US) so badly that they even calling me for that for time to time about it, telling me "oh but we give you fancy new phone"... yeah right :p I know for intense phone users this option might not be optimal solution, but hey you got freedom to not sign any contracts and use any hardware as you like.... in you think about it you can hardly find such services in other markets, other then stores and pro version of free services

Ahh as always i write to much on simple matter lol XD

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You would think that manufacturers would make more money by making the same phone across all carriers rather than doing exclusives. The gs3 and even the galaxy nexus seem like the right direction. I would Imagine the accessories industry would benefit as well. As for all the other phones, there must be some big incentive to do things the way they are even if it doesn't make sense.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

Sure.

But, especially in the US, the customer for these manufacturers is not us. It's the carriers.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Sure.

But, especially in the US, the customer for these manufacturers is not us. It's the carriers.

Exactly, and while they are selling the phones to customers, they are also the point fo contact for any issues. It is in their favor to lock down phones so that users cant screw with them and cause problems, because those issues get dealt with by the carrier. The last thing they want is to be hearing about rooted phones not working, bricks, broken apps, etc. Unless people (In the US especially) want to go to buying phones outright, no discounts, and getting support from the OEM, you won;t see the carrier influence go away anytime soon. And that's not even accounting for things like tethering, that can be allowed via root, but not off a stock phone. (more cost for carrier)

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Sure.

Which is wrong way of thinking, With this logic i could say that for electronics store is a customer of manufacture not us. Manufactures only makes deals with carrier but money from sells on whatever carrier goes back to them, manufacture gets customer right on the bat and carrier gets subscriber... it's a profit deal on both sides.

no discounts

Those are just illusion of discounts, in realty you pay back tha money with contract

you won;t see the carrier influence go away anytime soon

In some contries and i belive it's EU regulation, manufactures are forced to sell unlocked phones in stores, in some it's illegal to sell sim-locked phones. Considering US is very commercial centric and friandly to big corporations to fool people around, i would not expect such laws there

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Personally I don't mind certain interference like adding a kickstand to the photon 4g in sprints case

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2