what to do if android drops in toilet

Alvin Xiong1

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
My android 7 droped in the toilet but still works but power button wont work also turns off sometimes randomly by itself and takes a while to turn on again. Whay do i do?

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
How long ago did it happen? If it was very recently, it might not be too late to turn it off and put it in a container with rice. Drying up the water might help the reboot problems. But, if the button is wonky, I don't think that'll ever fix itself.

Jweb92

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
My old hero fell in a pond, was under water for at least 3 minutes I was having the same problems then I changed batteries and it worked fine still does and that was over a year ago, might not be the same issue but I'd say give it a try before buying a news phone if you don't have insurance

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

mandopicker101

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi

I WASHED an iPod Nano in the machine, came out very very dead.

Never one to admit defeat, I blotted it on a bed of kitchen roll, shook out any water then put it a bag of rice, tied it tightly and left it in a warm place for a week. You do need to submerge it in rice to ensure maximum water absorbtion.

Nano emerged, pleasantly fragranced still, but in working order.

My phone got slightly damp cycling home and was showing odd behaviour. I opened it, removed SD card, SIM and battery as soon as I could. After 2 days in the rice I tried it again and all was well.

Alternatively, you can purchase drying compounds for hearing aids (as a wearer I know moisture is BAD) with a sealed box. But rice and a warm place is much cheaper...

Good luck!

Sent from my SK17i using Android Central Forums

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I think the best way is that dont go to toilet with your phone next time :D

OP might have been in the bathroom for any reason. Fact remains, phone got wet, regardless of how.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
my stock answer to questions like this is (yeah its fraudulent but insurance companies are dicks)
i take out online insurance, wait a few weeks, make a claim (preferably lost/stolen so you get a new unit but you have to deal with the police for an incident number so dont do that if police intimidate you) ;)
im not condoning this, its just what i do ;)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Common practice in this situation:

Don't try to turn on now or else you can make it worse, water does not kill the circuits, electricity+water do! Leave it in dry place for 2-3 weeks and after that connect to charger (because water most likely short circuit battery causing it's discharge) and pray that is gonna work. My brothers iPod touch had similar adventure, after few weeks of drying it survived :)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
this is why i cant understand why gadget manufacturers dont use a water activated circuit-breaker to completely disconect all power on contact with liquid????
should i try patenting it?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Cellmeister

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
this is why i cant understand why gadget manufacturers dont use a water activated circuit-breaker to completely disconect all power on contact with liquid????
should i try patenting it?

"Disconnect" won't help because the rest of the phone & circuitry is not water resistant/proof.

They do have phones / tablets/ devices that are water resistant & waterproof. The circuitry is covered with a very thin sealant
(on some, others are using a new plastic type board & coated circuitry) to prevent damage.

These waterproof devices are very expensive and new tech that was designed for the military. You won't see this on
consumer phones for a while, they will only be a few future models & very expensive.

I read it on one of the many tech sites so I don't remember which one but you can Google it for more info.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
ive seen some really good water drop tests of the s3 on yotube but wonder if the phones are still alive months down the line lol

i just thought a water activated circuit breaker would be good because the faster you pull the battery, the less chance there is of damage..

i like the signiature in your profile btw Cellmeister, great advice, you should add that theres an option to view reviews from users with your device only and for latest version of the app.
a great example of not updating without reading reviews of the latest version is Alive Video Wallpaper... all of a sudden they added in-app payments for scenes that were free so im glad i read the reviews :)

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
"Disconnect" won't help because the rest of the phone & circuitry is not water resistant/proof.

They do have phones / tablets/ devices that are water resistant & waterproof. The circuitry is covered with a very thin sealant
(on some, others are using a new plastic type board & coated circuitry) to prevent damage.

These waterproof devices are very expensive and new tech that was designed for the military. You won't see this on
consumer phones for a while, they will only be a few future models & very expensive.

I read it on one of the many tech sites so I don't remember which one but you can Google it for more info.

Well of water won't kill circuit in short piriod of time, ofcorse in long term it might corrode the material of circuit (most dealy on that is salty water), but if you able to dry circuit off and itt was not in water for too long it should work after flood. What kills electronics on contact with water imidietly is fact water conduct electricity creating new ways for charges and short circuiting everywhere causing which may lot of damage. Thats disconecting circut imidietly after detection for water is good idea as just in case scenerio... problem is how to detect water.

Ofcorse this is just talk how to reduce damage in case of accident and cutting power is first thing should happen in order to not wate proof circuit to survive contact ith water. You should never throw electronics to water if it's not water proof

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Well of water won't kill circuit in short piriod of time, ofcorse in long term it might corrode the material of circuit (most dealy on that is salty water), but if you able to dry circuit off and itt was not in water for too long it should work after flood. What kills electronics on contact with water imidietly is fact water conduct electricity creating new ways for charges and short circuiting everywhere causing which may lot of damage. Thats disconecting circut imidietly after detection for water is good idea as just in case scenerio... problem is how to detect water.

Ofcorse this is just talk how to reduce damage in case of accident and cutting power is first thing should happen in order to not wate proof circuit to survive contact ith water. You should never throw electronics to water if it's not water proof

my dad sails a boat and he has life jackets that are water activated (they sense water/they inflate) so it must be possible.
id actualy think it would be easyer to control electricity.. a lil gap in a circuit positioned on outside of phone that fires a relay disconecting the battery when water bridges the gap?

daftone

Mar 15, 2018
Visit site
Hi

I WASHED an iPod Nano in the machine, came out very very dead.

Never one to admit defeat, I blotted it on a bed of kitchen roll, shook out any water then put it a bag of rice, tied it tightly and left it in a warm place for a week. You do need to submerge it in rice to ensure maximum water absorbtion.

Nano emerged, pleasantly fragranced still, but in working order.

My phone got slightly damp cycling home and was showing odd behaviour. I opened it, removed SD card, SIM and battery as soon as I could. After 2 days in the rice I tried it again and all was well.

Alternatively, you can purchase drying compounds for hearing aids (as a wearer I know moisture is BAD) with a sealed box. But rice and a warm place is much cheaper...

Good luck!

Sent from my SK17i using Android Central Forums

I accidentally dropped my Android down the toilet last night. After reading what you have put about drying compounds for hearing aids, I suddenly thought, "I have Dry Cap tablets for drying hearing aids" so I am going to try that. Had to find a bigger container to fit my Android though! Fingers crossed now! (It has come at a bad time, as I am currently out of work, and I have given my mobile number to prospective employers, who, currently, will not be able to contact me! :-( )

Last edited:

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I accidentally dropped my Android down the toilet last night. After reading what you have put about drying compounds for hearing aids, I suddenly thought, "I have Dry Cap tablets for drying hearing aids" so I am going to try that. Had to find a bigger container to fit my Android though! Fingers crossed now! (It has come at a bad time, as I am currently out of work, and I have given my mobile number to prospective employers, who, currently, will not be able to contact me! :-( )
Welcome. :)

We now have an Ambassador Guide about that: https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=477140

All our fingers are crossed for you.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Oh no! Please keep us posted on what happens, and good luck with your job hunt!

daftone

Mar 15, 2018
Visit site
Oh no! Please keep us posted on what happens, and good luck with your job hunt!

Went to EE shop. Told them what happened. They said it wouldn't be replaced under warranty. Basically, I am in possession of a dead mobile. Got a new phone from them (contract instead of payg.)