Looking for some opinions... Google Nexus 7 vs. Kindle Fire

gingersnapgirl

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I've recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy S3 phone, and I love it, but I'm also looking into getting a 7 in android tablet.

I'm currently deciding between a Google Nexus 7 and a Kindle Fire. I know the Kindle Fire uses a highly modified version of the android OS, though, and as such, I'm leaning towards the Nexus 7.

I mainly want it for when I'm sitting in bed and don't want to pull the laptop out, or when I'm cooking and don't want to print a recipe. I may use it to occasionally watch a tv show or video, but it will mostly be for web browsing/games/apps and recipe storage/access. I won't be listening to music on it, since I'll have my phone for that. I will probably read the occasional book, but I also have a Kindle Keyboard and it works just fine, so I'm happy with that for now.

Can anyone think of a compelling reason to get the Kindle Fire over the Nexus 7, aside from the $50 price difference for the 16GB version? Also, if I go with the Nexus 7 and am not using it for music/photos, is there really a need to get the 16GB version?

Or is there another option I should be considering instead of these two?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Nexus 7 if you're going to game at all. You also have a Kindle app if you wanted to use it.

As games become more advanced storage will be more important. That might make 16gb a good choice if you're going to keep it for a while.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

gingersnapgirl

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I completely forgot about the Kindle app. And I imagine I can put the Amazon app store on the Nexus 7 as well, so I'll still be able to get the Amazon content. Or is this not the case?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
You won't be able to stream Prime Instant Video. But yes to the app store....do they really have any exclusives anymore though?

gingersnapgirl

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't care about instant video. And as far as exclusives, that I don't know. But I do know that the google play store says Plants vs. Zombies is incompatible with my phone, but Amazon's app store says it is, so maybe they're quicker to get new versions? I don't know.

shady28

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
So I would say the Nexus 7, UNLESS you are just looking to stick with the Amazon / Kindle ecosystem and don't care much about the other things that are part of the overall Android ecosystem.

You'll have more flexibility and be more 'on your own' with a Nexus, while the Kindle will be more of a 'guided tour' kind of experience, but more limiting.

And that is not a bad thing (Amazon/Kindle). E-book reading is one of the primary tasks I use both my phone and iPad for (and the Android variant of Kindle is superior, due to limitations Apple puts on Apple apps).

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

gingersnapgirl

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I swapped my iPhone for an Android phone because of the limitations of the OS, despite how refined it looked. I like the way the Kindle Fire looks and runs, but I've come to the realization that I'll eventually get frustrated by its limitations as well. I don't mind being "on my own", in fact, I welcome it most of the time.

So the Kindle Fire has been ruled out, but is the Nexus 7 really my only other option? I'm not against it, of course, just don't want to rule out anything that might potentially be better for me. I don't really want to go larger; are there any other options in the 7 in size that are comparable?

Thanks for the help so far!

shady28

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Galaxy Tab 7.7 is the only other really viable option IMO (if u got $$ to burn).

Plenty of other 7" tablets, but none really compare to the Nexus / Kindle.

For what you describe, I would stick with Nexus7.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm kinda surprised there was even any hesitation in the choice. With the Nexus 7 so get the whole of the Google Play store, which includes Kindle and Nook apps for reading. The Kindle Fire has a forked version of Android and it's apps do not work on other Android devices because they do not follow the open source protocol for development.

Good luck with your Nexus 7!

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
You won't be able to stream Prime Instant Video. But yes to the app store....do they really have any exclusives anymore though?

Yeah, sometime the Amazon AppStore has a temporary exclusive on an app. Jetpack Joyride is the only things that immediately comes to mind.

I don't care about instant video. And as far as exclusives, that I don't know. But I do know that the google play store says Plants vs. Zombies is incompatible with my phone, but Amazon's app store says it is, so maybe they're quicker to get new versions? I don't know.

Actually, I find the Google Play store consistently gets updates faster than the Amazon Play Store. But it does seem to be true that Amazon AppStore is less likely to enforce an incompatibility. Sometime a Google Play app listing shows my (last) device as incompatible, whereas the Amazon AppStore will let me download it even though it's the same version. Not sure why.

I swapped my iPhone for an Android phone because of the limitations of the OS, despite how refined it looked. I like the way the Kindle Fire looks and runs, but I've come to the realization that I'll eventually get frustrated by its limitations as well. I don't mind being "on my own", in fact, I welcome it most of the time.

So the Kindle Fire has been ruled out, but is the Nexus 7 really my only other option? I'm not against it, of course, just don't want to rule out anything that might potentially be better for me. I don't really want to go larger; are there any other options in the 7 in size that are comparable?

Thanks for the help so far!

Sounds like you don't want a Kindle. The thing with the Nexus7, is it basically ruined the tablet market for any other manufacturers. To me there's no better 7" tablet (unless you're already committed to Amazon's ecosystem). If you want a 10" tablet, then there are a few you could argue. But for a 7" tablet the Nexus7 is the only one worth considering.

New-N7

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm still struggling to choose between the 2. Ready to pull my hair out :) The kindle fire HD 7" has better speakers which would be useful because I am a bit hard of hearing. The Kindle also has a double antennae for better wifi reception and that would be helpful where I am. Finally, it has a non-reflective screen --not as effective as e-ink, but better than the n7 in bright daylight. I tried to read a book in the car yesterday, but the n7 screen turned into a mirror. And, yes, I am a fond consumer of Amazon products. Seems like my choice would be clear, right? BUT WAIT! I've been playing on this fabulous n7 for 2 weeks now, and I love it. The GPS is terrific. The web browsing experience beats that of my older desktop handily. I'm not into games, but I am enjoying other apps immensely. The kindle and nook reader apps work seamlessly. I haven't yet tried any music or audible books. That's next. Anyone care to help me with the decision? I'm so stuck!

gregurbo1

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
I have had the Nexus 7 for almost two months now and still loving it... I found a really cool case at Amazon, it's called the Moko Slim Case, really cool... It has a magnet in the cover that shuts off the tablet when you close it. Anyways go with Nexus, plus being Google you will get all the latest versions of Android.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

gingersnapgirl

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I got a case for mine from staples - Verso's Prologue case. It's not designed specifically for the nexus 7, but it works, and i needed something to protect it since I'm fairly clumsy. Plus, it's designed to look like a leather bound book... :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums