The S4 Play line has always been their entry-level, but it's only been dual-core before. It looks like they're introducing a quad-core variant, but at entry level performance and price points.

These are definitely poised to take the place of the older S1 and S2 Snapdragons from years ago. Why the change? Better support for newer wireless network, BT4.0, and presumably improved battery life.

What these are NOT is Krait-based. The S4 Plus and Pro are decidedly higher-end and the feature set shows it.

What these ARE is a great way to get good performing entry-level devices on every network anywhere in the world, with variants that support seemingly every type of network in existence (and interestingly a specific model just for China).
    Ry likes this.
    09-26-2012 10:49 PM
    From what I've read almost all s4 SoC are Krait based. The lower end ones are just not clocked as fast and probably has less memory bandwidth. Plus they will have less powerful adreno gpus, 305 vs 320

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Android Central Forums
    10-06-2012 12:29 PM
    From what I've read almost all s4 SoC are Krait based. The lower end ones are just not clocked as fast and probably has less memory bandwidth. Plus they will have less powerful adreno gpus, 305 vs 320

These would be part of the "almost" that aren't Krait. 45nm process is the dead giveaway. Straight from Qualcomm's website.
    10-07-2012 01:05 PM
    I see, didn't read that carefully enough. You are correct. Perhaps it may be OK in other parts of the world but that will be crazy in the us. I don't see those ever getting traction in us smart phones. Maybe on some other mobile device perhaps. I guess Qualcomm is going for every market sector it can. On wikipedia I saw cortex m5 and I thought they would only go into embedded devices or something.

10-07-2012 02:36 PM
    Yeah it's definitely an entry-level SoC that hits all the right marketing points. I'm sure it'll be better than what it's replacing, and that's a plus.

Pre-paid phones (i.e. <$300 off contract) just got a huge boost in performance, though.
    10-07-2012 11:38 PM
    That is true. Good marketing ploy... it's affordable and it has four cores!" Genius.
    10-08-2012 12:40 AM