View Poll Results: What do you think?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sounds great I want one now...

30 76.92%
  • It will never work... Just wishful thinking...

2 5.13%
  • Motorola and HTC are fine let them make the phones...

7 17.95%
    Should Google give the Nexus line one more try???

Google has given up on the possibility of selling their personal brand of cell phone on their own. With the Motorola’s Nexus 2 now being cancelled by Google the question is will they try again? If they were to try again how would it work out and could Google pull of selling Cell Phones online? I say yes. I think that Google could do it if they had the right product but it would have to be something that hasn’t been seen before.

Here is what I am thinking for a new Google phone. The average phone on the market right now has about a 3.7” screen after looking at this I say that most people would like a little more room on their screen so a 4” screen would be good. CPU Speed and RAM have become very important to the new smart phones and is currently going through a jump in technology similar to the jumps that we have had in laptops starting around 2000. Small technology is getting smaller and faster and needs to be upgradable without getting a new device and Google would be the one about to start this with the right manufacturer. We need a standard socket set and ram slot for our phones giving us the possibility for upgrading the CPU and RAM in them. We also need upgradable internal memory for our phones and some manufactures have solved this by putting a microSD card slot internally on the phone this is a solution but would need to be assessable as well so it can be upgraded and we still want our external storage so a second microSD card slot would be needed. With at least the new Droid X we have a dedicated GPU installed and would be nice to see a socket for them as well for upgradable GPU and maybe GPU RAM as well. It also needs to be expandable and have removable accessories such as a sliding keyboard, game controller, and a full SLR style camera with lens. The sliding keyboard would have to have a camera built in so you would not have to remove or slide the keyboard open to use the built in camera. The removable devices could take the place of the battery cover and plug into a micro USB port internal to the phone and use something similar to laptop battery locks to secure them. Of course the phone would have its own internal cameras, forward and rear also HDMI out. Really the possibilities are endless with an upgradable phone. Realistically you could add a blue tooth keyboard, mouse and a monitor with HDMI input and you have a mobile laptop kind of like a netbook but better.

For the final hardware touch let’s add something similar to a PCMCIA card slot or the Wifi card slot on laptops and use that for the phone chipset. No longer will you be restricted to GSM or CDMA you could do both or make a card that does both. Possibilities are endless.

The biggest problem with this phone would be price most people do not want to spend 500 to 800 on a phone. This was one of the problems with the Nexus One and combined with online only sales, which means no hands on time before purchase, people just don’t want to fork out the money. So this phone would be focused toward the geeks and nerds but that is okay while we are focusing on that direction let’s make a change or two. The phone will have to have a internal EPROM for storing the OS and we know that the phone is not coming out rooted so Google give us a root option. The EPROM can come loaded with two OS versions that you can get to in recovery mode one rooted and one not. Make everyone happy and there would be no need to worry about warranty issues’ any more.
    The only downfall to this idea is it should be on the market now and if they started work on it today we probably would not see it until the middle to end of 2011 and that would be in prototype. So actual release would not be until 2012 and I want this phone now.

• 4” Screen
    • Motherboard ***(upgradable)
    • CPU Socket for Upgradable CPU
    • RAM Slots
    • GPU Socket for Upgradable GPU
    • GPU RAM Slots (would be nice)
    • One Internal microSD
    • One External microSD
    • Mini HDMI out
    • Removable Sliding Keyboard
    • Removable Full SLR style Camera
    • Removable Game Controller
    • *** Upgradable internal cameras
    • *** Upgradable screen

This is just something I have been thinking about and would like some feedback on. I know that this is going to be torn apart by everyone but if the right people read this you never know what might happen.

***After thinking on this some more the motherboard should be upgradable with everything being sockets on it and the possibility of chipsets changing to require different motherboard frame work it would also need to be upgradable.
    Also I should have put it in the first time the screen should be upgradable for future upgrades for higher resolution screens and the camera as well for the same reasons.
    Basically the only things that would not be upgradable would be the case, speaker, and mic.
    07-07-2010 03:36 AM
    Wow you've really put a lot of thought into this! I'd love to see more Nexus phones personnally.
    07-07-2010 04:32 AM
    I'd like to see a Nexus 2 or new Nexus. It would definitely be interesting to see what they would come up with.
    07-07-2010 09:44 AM
    I think Google needs to stick with what it knows best, Cloud apps. They (Google) got the ball rolling on Android and from what Ive read thats what they wanted just to get the Android craze started. There are more capable companies that have more experience dealing with phones & such.
    07-07-2010 10:02 AM
    I am hoping they still will. I really like not having to buy the phone through a carrier, and either having to root and install vanilla (I prefer vanilla android), or have the carrier have too much control over my device.
    07-07-2010 01:15 PM
    You can buy most phones in a unlocked version meaning that carriers dont install anything on them... They just cost 500 and up normally and you have to get them online or shipped from out of country... The only problem is that you have to get one that works with your provider so you are restricted by that and T-mobile and AT&T are really the only two carriers that you can use them on in the US unless you buy online prepaid sims, which I have never tried in the US.
    07-07-2010 01:22 PM
    I would have been a Nexus One user if they released the dame phone on At&t with a contract...I didn't wanna spend $569 on something that I never touched. T-Mobile sucks balls. But now Im an Evo user, but always wished I owned a Nexus cause they get so many updates. I'm happy with my Evo, Sense is an amazing add on to the Android OS IMO
    07-07-2010 11:18 PM
    I think Google needs to stick with what it knows best, Cloud apps. They (Google) got the ball rolling on Android and from what Ive read thats what they wanted just to get the Android craze started. There are more capable companies that have more experience dealing with phones & such.
    I would have been a Nexus One user if they released the dame phone on At&t with a contract...I didn't wanna spend $569 on something that I never touched. T-Mobile sucks balls. But now Im an Evo user, but always wished I owned a Nexus cause they get so many updates. I'm happy with my Evo, Sense is an amazing add on to the Android OS IMO
    Google did get the attention out there and that was part of the purpose. The main purpose of the Nexus One was that Google dosnt like the carrier based phone system and wanted a phone that was "raw" and not tampered with by the carriers. The main problem with that is the US is used to buying phones from the carrier at discounted prices. In other countries you can walk into an electronics store and they have the phones there unlocked not restricted to any carrier for purchase at the full retail price not subsidized by the carriers. Although if I remember correctly the over seas carriers do subsidize some phones in there own stores. And this is a problem in the US we do not have stores that sell unlocked phones you have to go online for that. That is why this would be such a great phone you would only buy one and upgrade it like a computer in reality it could replace netbooks for the majority of people out there. And for android to support this they would have to tweek there system a little adding basic universal driver support and any upgrades would have to come with a driver apk file for upgrades. But the biggest thing is getting away from the restrictions that the carriers place on you and being able to do what you want with the hardware that you pay for. Subsidized phones are only partially paid for and the carrier will do with them what they please because you are not buying it at full retail. If you do buy it at full retail it should come as an unlocked device and not restricted the way that they make them.

Example:
    Samsung Omnia i900 vs Samsung Omnia i910
    The device was built with GPS and things like location tag on Pics and a forward facing camera for video calling. When Verizon got the phone they removed the forward facing camera, disabled the GPS so it would only run with there VZ Navigator and disabled the location tag on Pics. They also limited the phone to a 8Gb device when Samsung made it a 8 and 16 but that option was not passed on to the customer.

Every carrier changes and locks phones the way they see fit for them to make profit and try to maintain security of their network. This is great for them but not for the end user that wants to use there phone the way it was intended to be used. A phone like the one I listed would start that move and turn phones more into a actual computer, not saying that smartphones aren't computers. It would be more like a Dell or HP thing. Verizon or T-Mobile would just install extra software on the phone that could be removed by the user if they wanted if it was a subsidized phone. But you could by the same phone at full retail and it would be "raw". Then you could by the CDMA, GSM, or World Phone adapter for your phone and run it on there network. Even if you have to put more money out upfront and not see the phone before you buy it you know what your getting just like a computer and I think that more people would be willing to do that if it was a more universal phone.

Carriers could subsidize upgrade to the phone instead of a new phone. Want a new processor and ram... $50 with a one year contract. Want that new 5000 ppi screen... $75 with a one year contract. And how about the accessories a Nicon 20 MP Camera attachment with a 35-110 mm zoom lens... $50 with a two year contract. You never know what the carriers will do but they have ways to keep people in contracts buy subsidizing the accessories and upgrades to a phone like this if they wanted and you would still be able to use the phone as it was intended.

And how about this it would open the door for multiboot systems and you could choose what OS you wanted on your phone. I know I went a little off topic and back to my dream phone but it just seems like the right way to go for all the right reasons. If anyone could do this and make it a flagship to stomp out the Iphone it would be Google. And yes they could not do it on there own we are talking about setting standards and new hardware development and it would take a lot of work from different companies to make it work. Texas Instrument or Samsung for Processors. Nvidia or ATI for Graphics. Samsung or Sony for the Screen. but there is only one company that I would trust with the motherboard and that is ASUS the do it right and make the best. Just think about it...
    07-08-2010 02:33 AM
    I think what the US needs is a less carrier-based distribution system. Where I live, phones are made by Company X and then sold more or less to any carrier or company who wants them. This crap about catering only to specific carriers is really damaging the market and making life difficult for the end-consumer.

Getting somewhat more back on topic though, I think Google should focus on the UI-overhaul that is Gingerbread. If they can make that good enough, then perhaps there won't be any point in a new Nexus.
    07-13-2010 04:47 AM
    I agree with Seek, with the exception that I believe there will always be a need for a DEV phone, and it should be top of the line in terms of specs. So bring on the Nexus Two, and find a way to make money on it Google....
    07-16-2010 08:21 PM
    We'd need to get Verizon and Sprint off of their CDMA-based networks for it to really work. When AT&T said they didn't want the Nexus One without it being locked down, Google just laughed and put it out there anyway, albeit completely unsubsidized. When Verizon and Sprint said "No", there was nothing Google could do.
    07-16-2010 10:28 PM
    We'd need to get Verizon and Sprint off of their GSM-based networks for it to really work. When AT&T said they didn't want the Nexus One without it being locked down, Google just laughed and put it out there anyway, albeit completely unsubsidized. When Verizon and Sprint said "No", there was nothing Google could do.
    Verizon is GSM based? Who Knew!?! (ah, I see you fixed it since i quoted it)...

You can always bring your one phone as long as it is carrier compatible (its the law). There is no way Sprint or Verizon can say "NO" as long as there is a model that works on their network (which there isn't).
    07-17-2010 12:13 AM
    if it was possible, this idea of an upgradeabe phone would be cool. i think though that we would see a big jump in aftermarket parts and stores that sell and install. the consept would be sweet and right now this can be done sort of.

how about a net book with a 10" screen,keyboard,trackpad and battery to charge the phone. then all you need to do is open the tray on the side of this device, plug in the phone with the hdmi and usb connections and you would have yourself a netbook.

this might work with a tablet. plug the phone to the back of the tablet screen and it would display on the screen and transfer your jesters from the screen to your phone . this would be phone spacific but the netbook accessory can be for any phone with the proper tray/craddle and cables.

i read that there using bluetooth to use a keyboard on the evo .
    07-17-2010 07:03 AM
    The main problem for me is if I pay $500.00 for a Nexus, and pay the same monthly fee as I do buying a $200.00 phone from Verizon. There is a large incentive to not buy from Google.
    I wouldn't mind the European model of buying a phone, then taking it ot a carrier store to get it activated, but until they seperate the phone price from the service price, it isn't feesable. If I saved $15.00 a month on my bill, I would gladly pay full price for an unlocked phone, and be able to move it to whichever carrier gave the best service.

If we could get Google to do an N2 and sell it through Verizon and ATT at the subsidized price, I would be all over it.

As for the upgradeable phone, at the size of the componants we have now, if you added a socket to them, it wouldn't all fit in a normal size phone. Although, I haven't seen inside an X. It might have more room than the Hero we took apart. With a little work, I think some one could design it to be serviceable. But the demand hasn't been there.

Maybe a letter writing campaign to HTC?
    07-18-2010 03:09 PM
    The main problem for me is if I pay $500.00 for a Nexus, and pay the same monthly fee as I do buying a $200.00 phone from Verizon. There is a large incentive to not buy from Google.
    You do the same thing after your carrier subsidized phone is paid off.

Or any time you buy a "no comittment" phone from a carrier or 3rd party.

This is why some people believe strongly in subsidized phones, they feel they might as well get SOMETHING out of the deal since they won't get a cheaper price by bringing their own phone.
    07-18-2010 05:31 PM
    honestly i just want a Nexus one on verizon, even though the nexus is getting older, It is still top notch, but if Motorola continues their lockdown that is milestone droid x and droid 2 i will not be choosing moto for my next phone either. HTC makes some great hardware but they only have one that is not full of bloatware the (nexus). But as long as HTC and Samsung stay away from locking the bootloader i have at least two manufacturers for my next phone choice. HTC please dont put sense on all your gingerbread phones. We all dont want your software, why cant you understand that?
    07-18-2010 07:57 PM
    i think that selling it online only is whats hurting them, i know i like to hold and demo the phone before i buy. i havent even seen anyone with a nexus one. selling online only is the reason why i didnt go with the nexus one
    07-19-2010 02:45 AM
    4 Screen
    Motherboard ***(upgradable)
    CPU Socket for Upgradable CPU
    RAM Slots
    GPU Socket for Upgradable GPU
    GPU RAM Slots (would be nice)
    One Internal microSD
    One External microSD
    Mini HDMI out
    Removable Sliding Keyboard
    Removable Full SLR style Camera
    Removable Game Controller
    *** Upgradable internal cameras
    *** Upgradable screen

This is just something I have been thinking about and would like some feedback on. I know that this is going to be torn apart by everyone but if the right people read this you never know what might happen.

***After thinking on this some more the motherboard should be upgradable with everything being sockets on it and the possibility of chipsets changing to require different motherboard frame work it would also need to be upgradable.
    With limited real estate inside a cell phone, I don't see the practicality of sockets/slots for this and that. You have indicated 6. You get to a point where you'll need a 1" thick phone just to handle them.
    As to a Removable Full SLR style Camera, what the heck is that? Where are you going to store you photos, oh, slot number 4? Also, where is the camera going to get power? Also, the smaller the camera the less steady it will be when you press the shutter button. Why do you think the top of the line digital cameras are the same size as the old optical SLRs?
    07-19-2010 08:10 AM
    That was the purpose of this post was to get feed back on the idea I know all the sockets would take some room but it is possible...

And not all the sockets would really have to be there you could go with just a socket for cpu and ram the gpu could be part of the mother board... The idea for cameras is just something I like and think would be interesting...as an attachment I know it would be possible but practical is another question...

Thanks for your feed back...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    07-19-2010 07:24 PM
    yea man a nexus 2 would be pretty sick...
    07-22-2010 01:27 AM
    once hardware starts lacking again, Google will step in with the Nexus 2. The entire point of the N1 was for them to say "hey this is what we're going to develop for, so at least match it".
    07-22-2010 08:38 AM
    I shouldn't have put Google or Nexus in this at all... I am really talking about a next gen phone and was looking to bounce ideas...
    07-23-2010 12:14 AM
    The N1 served its purpose. To serve as the ideal phone to give other manufactures a guideline on what to make. It basically set the bar for all these phones that are out now. Now lets get ready got the N2.
    07-23-2010 09:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD