Good article, and an interview with the man who invented the cellular telephone...

Inventor of cell phone: We knew someday everybody would have one - CNN.com
    07-09-2010 09:55 AM
    Take home point:

"I think that the Android phones are catching up now, the latest version of the Android phones are every bit as good, if not better, than the iPhone." -Martin Cooper, Inventor of the cell phone...'nuff said

..ok maybe not 'take home' but important nonetheless
    07-10-2010 05:40 PM
    word
    08-19-2010 08:54 AM
    Wow I had no idea cellphones were so expensive back in the day. I guess compared to $3,900 spending 400.00 on today's brand isn't so bad!
    08-19-2010 09:22 AM
    They sure were. I had one and died every time I had to use it and then died again when the bill had to be paid. Death was a multiple occurrence.
    08-23-2010 02:08 AM
    I still remember my first cell was in 92 looked just like the one in the photo. We had to watch every minute as I could only afford a 60-100 minute plan and I think I paid more for it than 1000min and unlimmited everything else.
    08-31-2010 02:02 AM
    Started with one that was on top of a big batter with a handle on it and a hand set, then the big on that sat on its end (like the picture), then after that they started getting smaller. Heck, the one I had in 1999 was still a bulky and thick device. I went to a real small one after getting to Paradise and began the long trip to going back to a larger, more useful size.
    08-31-2010 11:45 AM
    I'd totally rock a big phone like that! You think AT&T would let me add it on my family plan?
    08-31-2010 03:35 PM
    I was actually just browsing through a Popular Science magazine I happen to find cleaning that was from 1996. They had a cell phone type bag phone that could fax and everything for around $4000. They also had an add for a Pentium processor boasting speeds of anywhere from 60 to 100Mhz. It was great to go back down memory lane! My how things have changed.
    09-08-2010 10:54 PM
    Take home point number 2

"When did you make that first phone call? Who was it to?
    I thought everybody knew the answer to that question! The first public call was made out on the streets of New York. It was to [Joel S. Engel], the head of the cellular program at AT&T. I called and told him, "Joel, I'm calling you from a cellular phone, a real cellular phone, a handheld, portable, real cellular phone." I don't remember exactly what he said, but it was really quiet for a while. My assumption was that he was grinding his teeth. He was very polite and ended the call. When asked about it, he says he has no recollection of this moment."

ATT still wont admit if someone is pulling ahead of them
    09-08-2010 11:25 PM
    This guy also invented Jitterbug, he's somebody that earned a place in history books that kids now, and in the future, need to seriously learn about...
    09-15-2010 07:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD