google nexus hardware vs htc, samsung, lg etc hardware

cinek

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
what's the difference between all of these in terms of software? I've heard that all nexus devices get their software updates as soon as google releases them and non-nexus device owners have to wait for the manufacturers to release the update potentially with new features from them too. Is this usually a long wait? Would I be missing a lot by going with a nexus phone? is it better to just stick with the nexus devices and be up to date all the time or would it be better to get a different phone e.g. htc one x+ and wait for htc in this case to release the updates?

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
what's the difference between all of these in terms of software? I've heard that all nexus devices get their software updates as soon as google releases them and non-nexus device owners have to wait for the manufacturers to release the update potentially with new features from them too. Is this usually a long wait? Would I be missing a lot by going with a nexus phone? is it better to just stick with the nexus devices and be up to date all the time or would it be better to get a different phone e.g. htc one x+ and wait for htc in this case to release the updates?

That's a very broad question. Nexus is pure Android and will always get updates faster. All of the OEM put their own UI on top on Android, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The often add a lot of features, and a lot of people love Sense (HTC's UI), TouchWiz (Samsung's UI), Blur (Moto's UI), etc. On Android Central (and most Android blogs/communities), people are Android enthusiasts and prefer stock Android over the manufacure skins. I don't know what your preference is. I'd recommend reading reviews and watching hands on videos for the phones that you might be considering. After that, go to a store and play with them. Figure out what you like. And don't be afraid to switch phones during your trial period at the beginning of your contract.

Regarding hardware all of the major manufacturers make really good hardware if you're shopping for a top-of-the-line phone. People have their preferences, but none of them suck. If you're shopping for something entry-level or mid-range then you can get some pretty signifigant differences between phones in terms of hardware and quality. Again, do your research, and feel free to come back with more specific questions when you narrow down your choices.

cinek

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
thanks, the only thing that I'm worried about is waiting for months for android updates - apart from that I'd jump on the htc one x+ straight away

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
thanks, the only thing that I'm worried about is waiting for months for android updates - apart from that I'd jump on the htc one x+ straight away

At that point you have to decide if having the most recent software is more important than having the most up-to-date hardware (really it would be the design and camera, since the new Nexus will have awesome internals).

cinek

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
At that point you have to decide if having the most recent software is more important than having the most up-to-date hardware (really it would be the design and camera, since the new Nexus will have awesome internals).

true, is there anything else coming soon with max 4.8" screen apart from nexus 4 and htc one x+? preferably with the s4 quad core

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol