Carrier branding and bloatware

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I was preparing the Galaxy Note 2 forum and saw that there is some frustration over the Verizon logo on the home button on their version of the beastly device. Some were even considering not buying the device at all because of it. I read the same kind of frustrations with carrier bloatware. A lot of people seem to think it would be better if all of the Android devices were pure android. I'm not arguing against any of it. Just wondering why it means so much to have hardware that's unbranded and software without carrier bloatware, especially when those apps can be disabled or hidden?

from my Galaxy S3, baddest phone on the planet

nexusisneecesary

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I was preparing the Galaxy Note 2 forum and saw that there is some frustration over the Verizon logo on the home button on their version of the beastly device. Some were even considering not buying the device at all because of it. I read the same kind of frustrations with carrier bloatware. A lot of people seem to think it would be better if all of the Android devices were pure android. I'm not arguing against any of it. Just wondering why it means so much to have hardware that's unbranded and software without carrier bloatware, especially when those apps can be disabled or hidden?

While I can only understand the hardware branded frustration a little bit I can completely understand the frustration with bloatware, when carriers add OEM skins and alter what was intended for that device with that particular version of android it takes up memory on the phone and in some extreme cases like with that of the Verizon xperia play it can make the device severely under perform IMO , not only that but if all devices were pure android it would make mobile game developer's jobs that little bit easier...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ZachA

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
The branding I'm ok with I know the carriers like to brand it. But the bloatware and skins I'm not ok with it slows down your phone and makes updates much harder to push out. Also what you said about the app devlopers it makes it easier on them not having to test every phone out there.

Sent from my Droid Incredible 2 using Android Central Forums

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
While I can only understand the hardware branded frustration a little bit I can completely understand the frustration with bloatware, when carriers add OEM skins and alter what was intended for that device with that particular version of android it takes up memory on the phone and in some extreme cases like with that of the Verizon xperia play it can make the device severely under perform IMO , not only that but if all devices were pure android it would make mobile game developer's jobs that little bit easier...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I can certainly understand what you are saying about the bloatware and the skins having a negative impact on the devices performance. But, the manufacturer skins and some carrier bloatware add much needed functionality. I have the GS3 and a lot of the things that Samsung had included had made the phone and the operating system a lot better.

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I wish carriers didn't add bloat but since they do I wish they would allow us to remove it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I can certainly understand what you are saying about the bloatware and the skins having a negative impact on the devices performance. But, the manufacturer skins and some carrier bloatware add much needed functionality. I have the GS3 and a lot of the things that Samsung had included had made the phone and the operating system a lot better.

Generally speaking most OEMS unless its an nexus device WILL add a skin to it to differ from the competition.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Diabling is the next step after hiding, but the fact that it is there means it is still taking up space. My argument is if it is not critical to the the function of the phone, I should be able to decide what is wasting precious space on my phone's hard drive.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Bought a Galaxy Note 2 for Sprint and there was limited bloatware on the device. Actually, there is no carrier branding on the phone at all.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

ZachA

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Bought a Galaxy Note 2 for Sprint and there was limited bloatware on the device. Actually, there is no carrier branding on the phone at all.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

That's how phones should be.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Sprint is really starting to cut back on the bloatware they put on their phones( all my gs3 had on it was sprint zone ), because unlike att or Verizon they actually listen to their customers.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Sprint is really starting to cut back on the bloatware they put on their phones( all my gs3 had on it was sprint zone ), because unlike att or Verizon they actually listen to their customers.

It is interesting that Sprint is the only carrier taking that position.

from my Galaxy Note 2, baddest phone on the planet.

ZachA

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Verizon is removing there app store from their device's so that's a step in the right direction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke