Android beats Windows Phone 8's Kid Corner children's feature

anoojshah

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
If you have been following the Windows Phone 8 news, you would have noticed they are touting their 'Kid Corner' feature which allows parents to create a separate profile for their kids.

This is not new: Android users can do the same thing on their devices for free using Kytephone, a free app from Google Play. With Kytephone, it is even better since parents can manage the child's profile remotely as well as add time limits for games. There's more details here.

Gotta love Android's flexibility.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If you have been following the Windows Phone 8 news, you would have noticed they are touting their 'Kid Corner' feature which allows parents to create a separate profile for their kids.

This is not new: Android users can do the same thing on their devices for free using Kytephone, a free app from Google Play. With Kytephone, it is even better since parents can manage the child's profile remotely as well as add time limits for games. There's more details here.

Gotta love Android's flexibility.

But "Kid Corner" has better flexibility and doesn't require the use of a third-party app.

anoojshah

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft allows for greater flexibility in controlling types of content, but Android allows parents to do a lot more - like set time limits and manage the profile remotely.

True, they do have an advantage that the feature is baked in - but I don't think installing a free 3rd party app is that big of a deal for smartphone users today :)

hunterx82

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft allows for greater flexibility in controlling types of content, but Android allows parents to do a lot more - like set time limits and manage the profile remotely.

True, they do have an advantage that the feature is baked in - but I don't think installing a free 3rd party app is that big of a deal for smartphone users today :)

I disagree. My wife and mother would have no idea that there was a 3rd party app out there to allow such a feature. They only download apps because they are popular amongst the masses, ala Facebook, Yelp, Pinterest or Youtube. Only those who would take the time to search forums or the web for neat utility like that would probably stumble upon them. One of the reasons they are iPhone users is because it is easy to use and they don't require a lot of customization. Everything they need is "baked" into the phone. And we know how simple and easy the iPhone is--thats why we who like options go to Android.

Ivanamanation#IM

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I agree. That's why I think Google should feature powerful *baby sitting* applications like in the OP on Google Plays's front page.

I wish I could run Google Play, it would pop off way more than the App Store which is just atrocious.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

anoojshah

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
That's a good point regarding awareness.

However, when it comes to giving kids a phone, I think Android is a far better option since there is a large variety of handsets across different price ranges. Even the cheapest phone can still make all the popular games that appeal to young children.