GSM Replacement for Droid Incredible? (Picky Wife)

BAlGaInTl

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
So the wife and I are dumping VZW. I'm going to get her Straight Talk on the AT&T network, and I'm going to go with the $30 T-mobile plan.

I'm ordering the Nexus 4 when it is available next week.

The wife is on the fence about what phone she wants. Right now, she has a Droid Incredible and loves it. She loves the size and style of the phone. She thinks that the Nexus 4, SIII, and others are going to be too big for what she wants.

Is there a moderately priced Android phone that anyone would recommend? It seems that all the best phones now are moving up in screen size...

I mentioned a iPhone 4 or 4S, and she wants nothing to do with Apple.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Kudos to your wife for not wanting Apple. My wife does lol. I went from the dinc which is one of the best smartphones ever made to a larger screen. Takes some getting used to but a larger screen is amazing.
Took me a week to get used to it. Doesn't seem as though att has any phones with a screen smaller then 4.5" that has semi current specs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

BAlGaInTl

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm really hoping that she will see my Nexus 4 and that will be what she wants as well...

IMHO, there is really no better deal right now for someone who wants to ditch the chains of carriers.

Appogee

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
So the wife and I are dumping VZW. I'm going to get her Straight Talk on the AT&T network, and I'm going to go with the $30 T-mobile plan.

I'm ordering the Nexus 4 when it is available next week.

The wife is on the fence about what phone she wants. Right now, she has a Droid Incredible and loves it. She loves the size and style of the phone. She thinks that the Nexus 4, SIII, and others are going to be too big for what she wants.

Is there a moderately priced Android phone that anyone would recommend? It seems that all the best phones now are moving up in screen size...

I mentioned a iPhone 4 or 4S, and she wants nothing to do with Apple.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Why doesn't she go with a T-Mo value plan with you? Lol, but... In terms of Android phones... The Mytouch 4G Slide is that size with a keyboard now. If you want to mess with the phone for her, you could root it and get pure Jellybean goodness, currently I'm running ParanoidAndroid on my MT4GS and it's smooth as silk. The only downside is that you'd be on the last gens hardware, but it's still an upgrade from the Droid Incredible, for that matter it's pretty decent. BUT... As of now...

As stated, the HTC One S (specially the new Black version on TMO) is pretty slick. The Samsung S3 Mini is about your form factor wanted, hardware isn't as great as the One S though but it is 4". If you want to Dabble, I believe all of the carriers will be getting the HTC 8S and 8X. Both solid windows phones and pretty slick.

BAlGaInTl

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Why doesn't she go with a T-Mo value plan with you? Lol, but... In terms of Android phones... The Mytouch 4G Slide is that size with a keyboard now. If you want to mess with the phone for her, you could root it and get pure Jellybean goodness, currently I'm running ParanoidAndroid on my MT4GS and it's smooth as silk. The only downside is that you'd be on the last gens hardware, but it's still an upgrade from the Droid Incredible, for that matter it's pretty decent. BUT... As of now...

As stated, the HTC One S (specially the new Black version on TMO) is pretty slick. The Samsung S3 Mini is about your form factor wanted, hardware isn't as great as the One S though but it is 4". If you want to Dabble, I believe all of the carriers will be getting the HTC 8S and 8X. Both solid windows phones and pretty slick.

She travels a lot for her job, and I think AT&T will serve her better. Besides... she is the one that uses all of our minutes. :) I will use VoIP at home, but I can't really trouble her to do that.

The HTC One S seems to be readily available in the TMO version. I went and looked at one today, and I really thing she would like it.

So if I get a TMO version, will I have any difficulty getting that to run on Straight Talk using the AT&T network?

Would I have to unlock it? Is it easy to do?

Appogee

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
She travels a lot for her job, and I think AT&T will serve her better. Besides... she is the one that uses all of our minutes. :) I will use VoIP at home, but I can't really trouble her to do that.

The HTC One S seems to be readily available in the TMO version. I went and looked at one today, and I really thing she would like it.

So if I get a TMO version, will I have any difficulty getting that to run on Straight Talk using the AT&T network?

Would I have to unlock it? Is it easy to do?

I personally have never used ATT, but... I would assume since ATT uses SIM cards as well you'd be fine just getting the One S. However, if you get the TMO version, you'd obviously have to get it unlocked as it is tied to TMO's network. I hear unlocking it isn't hard though, you can unlock through root or something along those lines by just typing a simple console command code. However, I'm unsure if you need a T-Mobile sim at first.

BAlGaInTl

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone point me to some unlock information for the HTC One S?

I'm still leaning this way. Especially since they are so readily available.

BAlGaInTl

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
So we have been around and around now....

We have gone from store to store and she has touched and played with hundreds of phones it seems.

She has narrowed it down to the SG SIII, One S, and the SG SIII mini (even though she hasn't gotten to put her hands on it).

So we are making progress... Now that she is considering the SIII, I've told her that if she hasn't made up her mind by the time the Nexus 4 comes back in stock, she is getting one of those... You just can't beat the price for the phone you get.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
So we have been around and around now....

We have gone from store to store and she has touched and played with hundreds of phones it seems.

She has narrowed it down to the SG SIII, One S, and the SG SIII mini (even though she hasn't gotten to put her hands on it).

So we are making progress... Now that she is considering the SIII, I've told her that if she hasn't made up her mind by the time the Nexus 4 comes back in stock, she is getting one of those... You just can't beat the price for the phone you get.

Agreed

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt