Hardware reception?

Admuffin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
A lot of phone reviews seem to compare common specs such as how beefed up the CPU is, memory size, picture quality or how hot it looks etc?

There seems to be very, very little information on reception quality in terms of both 3G and Wifi when I think these are the most important features in a phone. Without a decent internet connection a smart phone is just a phone.

I bought the HTC Desire 2 years ago and at the time it got absolutely stellar reviews on all the sites. Everyone was raving about the performance, screen quality and software. However, I found it a BIG disappointment. Pages load very slowly and sometimes won?t load at all, if it?s an SSL connection. I can rarely connect to the android market. When I travel it barely connects to the WIFI inside the hotel room. The reception is just a joke.

I highly doubt it?s the operator since I've been with both Vodafone and O2 which are the biggest networks in the UK and I live in central London. I see people glide effortlessly through web pages on their iPhones while I?m stuck loading like an idiot.

So my question is, what are the best brands/models for 3G and Wifi reception? Can we have a face-off in terms of antenna side? What is the spec/module inside the phone that determines reception quality?

Admuffin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
It's a shame Nokia only make Windows phones....

Out of the current Samsung, Sony and HTC range which ones have better reception?

JobiWan144

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
It's a shame Nokia only make Windows phones....

Out of the current Samsung, Sony and HTC range which ones have better reception?

You should differentiate between GSM and CDMA. Samsung CDMA radios suck, but I haven't heard such horror stories about their GSM models.

Edit: Oh, you're in the UK, which is GSM only. Never mind then.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
From what I hear they are all middle of the road.

In other words, I haven't necessarily heard terrible things about any of them. HTC hasn't really ever had a phone with bad radios, and neither has Sony, but Samsung has (yes, mostly CDMA).