Deciding on a phone

Chris Miller3

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys.
I've had the Evo 4G for about 2 years now, and I'm just about deciding to get a new phone. Definitely not a Sprint phone again, Verizon or AT&T. I also want something that's future proofed- my Evo can't run most of today's games in any playable way, it freezes, randomly restarts, has a decayed battery, and displays a loading screen when I tap the home button. :(
I've been looking at the Droid DNA, which looks like a really nice phone and seems like it'll last(they probably won't be going past quad core phones for awhile, and 2 gbs of RAM should keep it smooth at least until I get off my contract. I think I won't use 16 gbs(I have 8 on my phone now), but you never know- I haven't been able to download a lot of apps because of how slowly they run.
However, I'm beginning to have doubts. First off, the M7, the new rumored HTC phone, which might have a bit more storage and battery life. Then, of course, CES and Mobile World Congress 2013 aren't too far off. So here's my question- should I spring for the Droid DNA, or should I wait for another phone with better battery life and specs? I don't want to wait with my Evo for much longer- but I also don't want to watch CES and see a phone with better specs than the DNA after I've gotten it.
Other info:
I don't want a phablet. 5 inches is the upper limit(and only because it really has the best specs right now)
I use my phone to browse the web a lot, play music, etc.
I don't want a phone like the Evo- nice at first, then dying as my contract nears the end(PS, what happened to kickstands on phones? That is legit the coolest feature on the Evo, and would actually be useful with a larger phone like the DNA.) :p

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Nexus 4? Or did you mean carrier branded for Verizon or AT&T?

Either way. Future proof = Nexus. The only guarantee with anything else is that it'll work the way it does when you first get it for the life of the phone. No guaranteed updates or support.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Chris Miller3

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Just something available on Verizon and AT&T. :)
I really like the nexus- it looks nice, it's powerful, and it's not huge. My only sticking point is its lack of LTE(aside from a few experiments). As I said, I like to browse the web a lot, usually on mobile network. So obviously a fast connection is important. If it wasn't, I'd already have the Nexus in hand.

gtbarry

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I also want something that's future proofed
If you are buying today, I would vote also for the Nexus 4 - if you are switching to AT&T. It just came out and you won't be behind on Android upgrades moving forward.

at least until I get off my contract.
Another advantage of getting the Nexus 4. You won't have to sign a contract renewal. Just let it end and you will be month-to-month.

So here's my question- should I spring for the Droid DNA, or should I wait for another phone with better battery life and specs? I don't want to wait with my Evo for much longer- but I also don't want to watch CES
If you can wait, I would wait til the CES announcements. However, the devices announced there will not be available for a while. Also, you can ALWAYS wait for something with better specs and something with better specs will ALWAYS be around the corner. At some point you have to just pull the trigger.

I don't want a phablet. 5 inches is the upper limit(and only because it really has the best specs right now)
This was part of my criteria with my most recent purchase also. But just curious, why you say that? I said it because I figured I would look like a lunatic putting a huge screen up to my ear. But like you mention, I notice now that the majority of the time I am looking at the screen for browsing, email, etc. So, now I realize that a larger screen will only make my usage easier 90% of the time and how rarely I hold the phone up to my ear.

I use my phone to browse the web a lot, play music, etc.
Most high end phones do all of this well. Since you don't mention gaming I don't think you need to search for a Tegra processor in your phone.

Chris Miller3

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
If you are buying today, I would vote also for the Nexus 4 - if you are switching to AT&T. It just came out and you won't be behind on Android upgrades moving forward.

Another advantage of getting the Nexus 4. You won't have to sign a contract renewal. Just let it end and you will be month-to-month.
Good point. I'm just sort of torn- now that I've looked more at that and the Optimus G- I would like LTE, but LG hasn't been great about pushing updates for their phones in the past.

If you can wait, I would wait til the CES announcements. However, the devices announced there will not be available for a while. Also, you can ALWAYS wait for something with better specs and something with better specs will ALWAYS be around the corner. At some point you have to just pull the trigger.
Very true, unfortunately. IIRC however, a couple companies will be releasing new 5 inch phones in Q1- especially HTC with the M7, which would be a cruel move if I bought the DNA.

This was part of my criteria with my most recent purchase also. But just curious, why you say that? I said it because I figured I would look like a lunatic putting a huge screen up to my ear. But like you mention, I notice now that the majority of the time I am looking at the screen for browsing, email, etc. So, now I realize that a larger screen will only make my usage easier 90% of the time and how rarely I hold the phone up to my ear.
True. I think mostly the bulkiness is the issue. My 4.3 inch Evo can sometimes have trouble fitting into pockets. I've looked at a DNA dummy in store and I think I could barely manage it- the note, probably not.

Most high end phones do all of this well. Since you don't mention gaming I don't think you need to search for a Tegra processor in your phone.
Also true- but I really don't know. I used to play games on my phone- now the battery just drops too quickly(and there isn't really enough storage) to do it well, so gaming isn't out of the question.

My other question is- are you sure that the Nexus' faster updating will allow it to beat out the Optimus G's LTE functionality?

gtbarry

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
My other question is- are you sure that the Nexus' faster updating will allow it to beat out the Optimus G's LTE functionality?

Take a look at at the last 1-2 upgrades to Android and see if those were game changing to you. Then take a look at the pros and cons compared to having LTE. For example, would you even get reliable LTE sevice?

Chris Miller3

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Take a look at at the last 1-2 upgrades to Android and see if those were game changing to you. Then take a look at the pros and cons compared to having LTE. For example, would you even get reliable LTE sevice?
Both are important(especially with things like butter and Google Now), but I think that the LTE wins out(I am in a covered area, that was the first thing I checked. :) )
Thanks for your help everybody- I think I'm going to go with the optimus G. :D