Tegra 4 official specs leaked!

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I Have got this news from AndroidHeadlines, Tegra 4 specs have been released.

Within this chip you are going to see 4 Cortex A15 cores and also a small core on the side which will most probably be an A7 or A9. The GPU is going to consist of 72cores, 6x more than what was in the Tegra 3. Most of the cores are sub cores, which will probably be mini cores within big 4/6 cores and combined will equal 72.

Ram has also been upgraded to DDR3. Tegra 4 will also be able to decode 1440p video in both VP8 and h.264 formats. It will support 2560?1600 resolutions (and even 4k, but I wouldn?t bet on running perfect with that), as well as 1080p at 120 Hz. The chip will also support USB 3.0, which is something Exynos 5 supports as well, and I?m sure all high-end chips next year. The chip will finally have fast dual-channel memory, that can be DDR3L or LPDDR3.

This GPU does sound like a beast and don't get me wrong it will be extremely powerful, it will be in line with the Mali 600 series and Adreno 300 series.

So what does everyone think of the new Tegra 4 specs? These are not made up, they have been leaked.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

knighthonor

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Ok can you all give me a run down on how powerful this graphics will be compared to gaming system generations.
T3 seem to be on par with Playstation 1 graphics when it came to the games it had.

What will T4 be at. compared to gaming devices?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok can you all give me a run down on how powerful this graphics will be compared to gaming system generations.
T3 seem to be on par with Playstation 1 graphics when it came to the games it had.

T3 is PS2. T4 not sure yet. It'll be a beast for sure.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

Between PS2 and PS3. Just a few years and we will have some real console-killing stuff.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
At the moment games such as shadowgun and mc4 are on par with ps2 technology, ps3 and xbox 360 are totallly different and something like 10 times more powerful than the ps2. It wont be for another 2 years at least until we see games such as call of duty and halo.

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Odp: Tegra 4 official specs leaked!

I dont know why you guys even mention ps1, that thing didnt even have hardware accelerated graphics

Grahaman27

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Odp: Tegra 4 official specs leaked!

I hope to God that the companion core is more powerful than 500mhz... that thing was the tegra 3's weak point

Grahaman27

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Odp: Tegra 4 official specs leaked!

there are performance issues on tegra 3 when you let the phone or tablet sit, like when you are just reading something without touching the screen, and then try to move and it lags. From what I have found, its because of the companion core, the tegra just switches to the low power companion core when you dont do anything, then ramps up the first core when you move the screen. So if the companion core were faster, it would be able to handle more by itself.

I could be wrong, but here's what I have been reading-

Tegra 3 Companion Core and Performance - xda-developers

"I would think - continuous activity = no lag - high power cores in use​
Intermittent activity = lag and slight delay while cores switch and "Ramp up""​

"is there a way to disable the companion core, or force use of the high power cores exclusively? I expect this would greatly speed up our tablets, with the trade off of lower battery life."​

Tegra 3 has 5 Cores | Ubergizmo

"I would think - continuous activity = no lag - high power cores in use

one core foreward, and two steps back?​

let me know what you mean by I/O being the source... thankya

A-android-B

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
At the moment games such as shadowgun and mc4 are on par with ps2 technology, ps3 and xbox 360 are totallly different and something like 10 times more powerful than the ps2. It wont be for another 2 years at least until we see games such as call of duty and halo.

What about the call of duty zombies I already play in my nexus 7? You better check it out, it's some whole other level type stuff

tea candles are the duct tape of candles

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
there are performance issues on tegra 3 when you let the phone or tablet sit, like when you are just reading something without touching the screen, and then try to move and it lags. From what I have found, its because of the companion core, the tegra just switches to the low power companion core when you dont do anything, then ramps up the first core when you move the screen. So if the companion core were faster, it would be able to handle more by itself.

I could be wrong, but here's what I have been reading-

Tegra 3 Companion Core and Performance - xda-developers

"I would think - continuous activity = no lag - high power cores in use​

"is there a way to disable the companion core, or force use of the high power cores exclusively? I expect this would greatly speed up our tablets, with the trade off of lower battery life."​

Tegra 3 has 5 Cores | Ubergizmo

"I would think - continuous activity = no lag - high power cores in use

one core foreward, and two steps back?​

let me know what you mean by I/O being the source... thankya

Download a large file and scroll around. You'll see what I'm talking about.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Use a different governor? My HTC One X Tegra 3 doesn't really show this issue except perhaps more for unoptimised apps.

That said I certainly hope Nvidia takes these issues into account. But again Nexus 7 doesn't quite show this issue so maybe it is a software thing.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Use a different governor? My HTC One X Tegra 3 doesn't really show this issue except perhaps more for unoptimised apps.

That said I certainly hope Nvidia takes these issues into account. But again Nexus 7 doesn't quite show this issue so maybe it is a software thing.

Are you replying to my comment? If so the Nexus 7 DEFINITELY suffers from the I/O issue, as does the Transformer Prime. It's not necessarily the fault of the Tegra 3, though, because the manufacturer chose slow NAND. But that doesn't matter because the blame will go to nVidia anyway.

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Are you replying to my comment? If so the Nexus 7 DEFINITELY suffers from the I/O issue, as does the Transformer Prime. It's not necessarily the fault of the Tegra 3, though, because the manufacturer chose slow NAND. But that doesn't matter because the blame will go to nVidia anyway.

I was replying to everyone and indeed I too think Nvidia did OK.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrisBowles513