So what does everyone think of Tegra 4?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Arm/samsung > nvidia

Samsung - cpu performance and memory (ram)
Nvidia - Gaming performance

LOL. Samsung AND nVidia both use the exact same ARM architecture, and the exact same type of memory. nVidia has a lock on the software side of things, which is why they win the race for me right now. If there's a significant difference in battery that might change my opinion slightly, but what will the new Exynos do that the old one won't?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
LOL. Samsung AND nVidia both use the exact same ARM architecture, and the exact same type of memory. nVidia has a lock on the software side of things, which is why they win the race for me right now. If there's a significant difference in battery that might change my opinion slightly, but what will the new Exynos do that the old one won't?

Samsung claimed superior multi tasking; I don't ever really have any need for more then 3apps open at a time so I dunno how many more apps people what to use at once... :confused:

Sent from my Behemoth of a phone, the Galaxy Note 2 :D

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Samsung claimed superior multi tasking; I don't ever really have any need for more then 3apps open at a time so I dunno how many more apps people what to use at once... :confused:

Sent from my Behemoth of a phone, the Galaxy Note 2 :D

That's all about ram at this point, which isn't any faster. And I haven't seen too many people fill up 2gbs with apps (rarely do I see let than a gig available in posted screenshots). So idk.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

keyan333

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I have about 650-700mb free on my note 2. Lots of apps / processes are syncing, I've set the option to keep nova launcher in memory so it is faster, and I have a live wallpaper + don't really close apps that often. Battery life is great though and it doesn't slow down the phone at all since there is still a fair bit of memory free.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
So, the fastest GPU in a mobile device? Seems to be the case according to Anandtech. So we have some of the fastest CPU cores available, and presumably the fastest GPU. How can anyone not like what they're seeing here?

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone seen the rumour with the exynos 5 octa gpu? Some people are saying that the octa will contain the exact same gpu as the ipad 3 (A5X) and the iPhone 5, and only containing 3 cores? Not even 4!. I would have thought samsung would havw went with the Mali-T658 but apparently they are going with PowerVr Chips now.

Also samsung claimed the gpu is twice as fast as anything out there, so rumours say the chip theyre using is clocked twice as high as the iPhone 5 (anything out there represents apple) and therefore is twice as fast as iphone 5. But it wont be as fast as the ipad 4. Samsung why?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone seen the rumour with the exynos 5 octa gpu? Some people are saying that the octa will contain the exact same gpu as the ipad 3 (A5X) and the iPhone 5, and only containing 3 cores? Not even 4!. I would have thought samsung would havw went with the Mali-T658 but apparently they are going with PowerVr Chips now.

Also samsung claimed the gpu is twice as fast as anything out there, so rumours say the chip theyre using is clocked twice as high as the iPhone 5 (anything out there represents apple) and therefore is twice as fast as iphone 5. But it wont be as fast as the ipad 4. Samsung why?

And that's the fail that stopped me from giving the octa a chance. One step forward, one step back.

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah id agree with you mate, I think if samsung used the latest mali chip or actually even the power vr chip thats in the ipad 4 then that would be better. But this chip that they may use was used early last year and is getting old now, the only thing good about the octa is the '8 core' 4 A15 cores and 4 A7 cores, but for the gpu it sucks.

Nvidia is pulling ahead in this one! Poor work samsung, I am afraid when my upgrade comes around I will not be purchasing a device from them if it has that older power vr chip. It will be Nvidia for me!

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Many rumored device seem to come with the Tegra 4, then we can wait for the first device's coming to test the performance.

I saw the performance of Project Shield at the press conference. It was impressive. Playing games at 4K resolution.

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I saw a vid on you tube with black ops 2 running on it, but does it use the shields gpu to run it or was it streamed?

Because Onlive on android is streamed and doesnt use gpu?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I saw a vid on you tube with black ops 2 running on it, but does it use the shields gpu to run it or was it streamed?

Because Onlive on android is streamed and doesnt use gpu?

When they connected to the PC it's streamed, with all the hard work being done by the PC.

The boxing game and mech game were being played by the Shield.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Ohh so BO2 wasn't using the GPU? How do you think it would run if it were to?

Hard to say. Tegra 4 is a fraction of the power of a GTX680. If I had to guess, not that good. For a phone or tablet the Tegra 4 is plenty powerful, but not as far as PC graphics go.

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
No I suppose not, I know I shouldn't really be basing how good the CPU is with benchmarks but there is something about Geekbench. The nexus 10 with only a dual core A15 @ 1.7ghz gets about 2500-3000. Now on the Exynos octa and tegra 4 the CPU (quad A15) will probabaly hit close to 4K. Now my intel i3 2nd Gen hits about 4.4K. Mobile CPU's are catching i3's already haha.

However for the GPU like you said its probably a fraction of a good GPU out there!

5blueberry8

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Because of the Tegra 4, I think there must be a big revolution in the industry, it is a really good news for all of us, I am super expecting.

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
What about the 'new' nexus 7 thats apparently meant to come, rumours of it being beefed up, not sure if it'll be tegra 4 tho?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar