So what does everyone think of Tegra 4?

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Got a feeling it wont have tegra 4, its meant to be the same price as original? Im guessing tegra 3+ @ 1.7ghz and 2gb ram, with screen resolution of that in the ipad or nexus 10

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Got a feeling it wont have tegra 4, its meant to be the same price as original? Im guessing tegra 3+ @ 1.7ghz and 2gb ram, with screen resolution of that in the ipad or nexus 10

I think 1080p is a safe bet (they don't want to compete with their own product), and it'll have to be a new chipset that hasn't been in a Nexus (at least historically that's been the case), so we'd be looking at either the Tegra 4 or Samsung octo-core thing (but I hope not).

Why not a Snapdragon? They just came out with new ones, right? Sure, but it's the same basic architecture with the same pipeline and not a "completely new" architecture. It's like a revision of what they released late last year (faster clocks and stuff). The Tegra 4 is an all new architecture for nVidia, and the GPU is fast enough to want some attention from Google for optimization. The octo-core from Samsung is also brand new for them, will undoubtedly be in a ton of devices (all from Samsung of course, which is a double-edged sword), and would also warrant some attention. But it just doesn't seem like it'll be as fast as Tegra 4. Besides, Samsung already does a ton of optimizing within Touchwiz for its chips.

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah 1080p sure to be enough :D

Snapdragon? Not sure about the new one 800? Thats not meant to be in devices until late this year to next year. Maybe the S4 clocked at 1.7ghz like the new rumoured optimus G. Tegra 4 would be incredible and id definitely get the tablet if it did. Octa core? Google can keep my money lol!

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
I think 1080p is a safe bet (they don't want to compete with their own product), and it'll have to be a new chipset that hasn't been in a Nexus (at least historically that's been the case), so we'd be looking at either the Tegra 4 or Samsung octo-core thing (but I hope not).

Why not a Snapdragon? They just came out with new ones, right? Sure, but it's the same basic architecture with the same pipeline and not a "completely new" architecture. It's like a revision of what they released late last year (faster clocks and stuff). The Tegra 4 is an all new architecture for nVidia, and the GPU is fast enough to want some attention from Google for optimization. The octo-core from Samsung is also brand new for them, will undoubtedly be in a ton of devices (all from Samsung of course, which is a double-edged sword), and would also warrant some attention. But it just doesn't seem like it'll be as fast as Tegra 4. Besides, Samsung already does a ton of optimizing within Touchwiz for its chips.

Yeah 1080p sure to be enough :D

Snapdragon? Not sure about the new one 800? Thats not meant to be in devices until late this year to next year. Maybe the S4 clocked at 1.7ghz like the new rumoured optimus G. Tegra 4 would be incredible and id definitely get the tablet if it did. Octa core? Google can keep my money lol!

Im really lookimg forward to that rumored nexus tablet. Hopefully we see some tegra 4 action and at least 32Gb of non-portioned storage. :thumbup::D

Sent from my Behemoth of a phone, the Galaxy Note 2 :D

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Im really lookimg forward to that rumored nexus tablet. Hopefully we see some tegra 4 action and at least 32Gb of non-portioned storage. :thumbup::D

Sent from my Behemoth of a phone, the Galaxy Note 2 :D

It"ll definitely be amazing, lets home we see it, or some cheap tablet with tegra 4 in!

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Its literally a newer version of tegra 3. That's about it. That's why OEMs are reluctant to use it.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Of course its new, its built on a better and newer process, contains 6x more powerful cores than tegra 3, uses next generation on CPU and can support Opengl 3.0. Whats not so revolutionary about that? Its many steps up to tegra 3

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Of course its new, its built on a better and newer process, contains 6x more powerful cores than tegra 3, uses next generation on CPU and can support Opengl 3.0. Whats not so revolutionary about that? Its many steps up to tegra 3

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Its not a revolutionary chip by any stretch of the imagination. What you just described is iterative, evolutionary change.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Its not a revolutionary chip by any stretch of the imagination. What you just described is iterative, evolutionary change.

Nah, what Qualcomm announced at CES is evolutionary and iterative. No process change, no architecture change.

What nVidia announced with Tegra 4 was an all-new architecture (based on the A15 design), a process shrink, AND a new LTE modem to go along with it. Evolutionary was when they started releasing higher clocked Tegra 3 chips.

Oh, let's also not forget that they came up with their own way of doing image processing that resulted in the first real-time HDR photo taking. Yeah, nothing revolutionary there....

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Nah, what Qualcomm announced at CES is evolutionary and iterative. No process change, no architecture change.

What nVidia announced with Tegra 4 was an all-new architecture (based on the A15 design), a process shrink, AND a new LTE modem to go along with it. Evolutionary was when they started releasing higher clocked Tegra 3 chips.

Oh, let's also not forget that they came up with their own way of doing image processing that resulted in the first real-time HDR photo taking. Yeah, nothing revolutionary there....

We're going to have to agree to disagree. Both qualcomm and nvidia are iterating right now. There won't be anything revolutionary for quite some time.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
We're going to have to agree to disagree. Both qualcomm and nvidia are iterating right now. There won't be anything revolutionary for quite some time.

What would it take for you to consider something revolutionary?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The Exynos Octa would be the closest, but even that is borderline.

Except that nVidia had that concept first, it just wasn't marketed as such by ARM. The companion core is the little in big.LITTLE.

I'm not trying to make this nVidia vs everybody else, but if you're going to consider the octa "close" to revolutionary then it's hard to dispute the Tegra 4 as being at least the same.

Just like Intel has tick-tock, with the tick being the "revolution" and tock being "evolution" then the switch to A15 is a tick, with the tock coming later.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Except that nVidia had that concept first, it just wasn't marketed as such by ARM. The companion core is the little in big.LITTLE.

I'm not trying to make this nVidia vs everybody else, but if you're going to consider the octa "close" to revolutionary then it's hard to dispute the Tegra 4 as being at least the same.

Just like Intel has tick-tock, with the tick being the "revolution" and tock being "evolution" then the switch to A15 is a tick, with the tock coming later.

The Octa uses its cores in a completely different, and much more advanced way than nvidias companion core. It is literally a processor within a processor and has a huge amount of flexibility in how they're used. The companion core is inflexible in comparison.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The Octa uses its cores in a completely different, and much more advanced way than nvidias companion core. It is literally a processor within a processor and has a huge amount of flexibility in how they're used. The companion core is inflexible in comparison.

Not really. It's just a lower power, lower performance core that takes it's place in the voltage table that the kernel/OS makes calls to. So yes, it uses them differently (nVidia doesn't require anything out of the kernel/OS for the companion core to work), but it's not really any more flexible. As far as battery life we're playing a wait and see for both chips.

The big.LITTLE concept as a whole is very flexible, but Samsung chose the most obvious route of using low power, lower performance cores paired with higher powered, higher performance cores. nVidia took the route of all A15, but the companion core runs at a much lower clock and consumes less power than the "traditional" cores in the main chip.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2