Did anybody else here that rooting your phone is going to be illegal!?!?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Old news, this was discussed a while back. I'm sure we have a thread or two buried concerning it.

But still an interesting topic.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Azwizzard

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Actually Rooting and Unlocking your Bootloader will not be illegal. This is not affected.

What will now be illegal will be unlocking your phone to use it on a different carrier.

The Library of congress had an exemption for it the last 2 cycles that allowed people (us) to unlock their phones to use on a different cell carrier. It actually falls under DMCA. Every few years the Library of Congress gets together to make exemptions to this law. They did not renue the exemption this round, so now it will be illegal again.

There is an exemption still in effect that allows for the rooting / unlocking bootloaders so this will not be affected.

DIPNINANOUT

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Exactly and sprint is the ones who would originally alloe it with fee but now changed it to be illegal

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Odp: Did anybody else here that rooting your phone is going to be illegal!?!?

It only about SIM Lock, this is term we use in our country :)

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: Odp: Did anybody else here that rooting your phone is going to be illegal!?!?

I'm not that concerned. My understanding is that in order to benefit from unlocking, I'd need to sign up for a pre-pay arrangement with the new carrier--either that, or my data would be metered or throttled. For one who uses internet access as much as I do, that's just not going to work. I'm playing my data connection fortissimo, *every* day. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair