Can we expect a 4-4.5" top of the line android phone anytime soon?

dannyd86

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for being lazy and not spending very much time researching this on my own if this has been discussed to death, hoping you guys can give me some insight. Im about to buy a blackberry Z10, its not everything I hoped but the best option I can see at this point. Main point being the size of the phone, and atleast moving in the right direction regarding UI and getting the app support it needs. Its perfect for one handed and two handed. These 5" and beyond phones arent for me, I need day to day practicality. The nexus 4 is even a little too big but its the best android in my mind and honestly Ill probably buy both within the next 3 months. The google ecosystem is great and I want in, because if current trends continue google will not support blackberry apps. But current trends also are showing every android person screaming about screen size being in the spec race. Bigger is better. Every top end phone is 5"+ If you pick an android in the sweet spot of practical use its always old and .

Ideally I want an android phone right in that 4.2-4.5" phone size. And if I wanna get really picky I want a camera that rivals a 100$ point and shoot. And a gps with offline maps that rivals a 100$ gps unit. I'd pay 1000$ for something like that.

This isnt a thread where I want you to sell me android over blackberry. Ill buy everything. Just looking how long you think, if ever a phone like that would come out.

dachurchpcguy

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Wow, a 4.5" phone, that would mean a 3.5" display. The best I could find is a Sony dual core.

I'm an old cell phone user, I remember when they were big, like 8" long and all you could do was make phone calls in a small portion of the country. Oh and the batteries lasted about an hour which wasn't a big problem because it cost $1.50 per minute to use them.

I've seen them go from too big to too small, now they're getting large again. The real issue is that we're doing more with our phones and we need bigger screens to handle it. That plus the fact that the displays are cheaper to build now. I don't see the trend changing anytime soon, at least not for mainstream phones.

dkgip

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Take a look at Samsung Xcover 2. I think most of the devices within that size range are going to be second tier phones. The specs are still decent with these phones.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

dkgip

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Another one to check out--Sony Xperia SP....one notch below the Xperia Z

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I think the Motorola RAZR i would suit you just fine. Also known as the RAZR M, if you're on Verizon.

Sent from my Sony Xperia P

djw39

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Sprint has this phone called the Flash made by ZTE. I saw a dummy model in Radio Shack. It is 720p IPS at 4.5" running stock ICS with onscreen buttons. Camera is 12 mp. Honestly has a far better in hand feel than the Galaxy Nexus, and camera and screen should be pretty good. But I haven't seen a single review of it anywhere.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2