Android or iOS: Who truly sells more smartphones?

Incitatus

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I have read many news stories on this topic, one claims Android does, the next story claims Apple does.

Smartphones only. I am having comprehension problems believing Apple can outsell the plethora of handsets Android resides on.

Which is it, and where can a regular schmoe like me find the data to back it up?

Thank you

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I have read many news stories on this topic, one claims Android does, the next story claims Apple does.

Smartphones only. I am having comprehension problems believing Apple can outsell the plethora of handsets Android resides on.

Which is it, and where can a regular schmoe like me find the data to back it up?

Thank you

Sorry, I don't know where to find the data but I can guarantee that Android far outsells Apple as far as "smartphones" go. Maybe people get confused because Apples iPhone is the best selling individual smartphone.
I'll have a look around for data.

Tom

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
If you're comparing only iOS devices to all Android devices, then Google "smartphone market share". Android has the majority marketshare and is gaining share.

I'd you are comparing specific models, eg the iPhone 4s to the Galaxy S3, then Google the model. And typically, in terms of model vs model, Apple devices usually win, thus far

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
If you're comparing only iOS devices to all Android devices, then Google "smartphone market share". Android has the majority marketshare and is gaining share.

I'd you are comparing specific models, eg the iPhone 4s to the Galaxy S3, then Google the model. And typically, in terms of model vs model, Apple devices usually win, thus far

Usually yes, but that changed when the S3 outsold the iPhone 5. (I know for sure during the first weekend but overall I'm not sure.)

Incitatus

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I was more or less just looking for an overall US comparison, global would be interesting to see as well though.

I assumed that is how it tallied up, individual iphone model sells better than the next individual model. Choice can be a good thing though.

Thank you all

Incitatus

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I just saw a news story the other day that the iphone 5 outsold all otheer phones. Is this misinformation being marketed, or is there some legitimacy to it?

iPhone Brand Outshines Samsung?s Galaxy As iPhone 5 Becomes Best-Selling Smartphone Globally In Q4, iPhone 4S 2nd ? Analyst | TechCrunch.

From that article -

Neither Apple nor Samsung break out quarterly per handset model device sales ? although Samsung does report channel shipments for some smartphone models, and Apple has reported launch weekend sales of new iPhones ? so it?s worth stressing that Strategy Analytics figures are estimates.

I understand they are referencing Q3 and Q4, pretty sure the S3 was released the end of Q2 though. At least that is when I bought mine.

And yes, that matters since they're not even looking at lifetime sales.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I just saw a news story the other day that the iphone 5 outsold all otheer phones. Is this misinformation being marketed, or is there some legitimacy to it?

iPhone Brand Outshines Samsung?s Galaxy As iPhone 5 Becomes Best-Selling Smartphone Globally In Q4, iPhone 4S 2nd ? Analyst | TechCrunch

I understand they are referencing Q3 and Q4, pretty sure the S3 was released the end of Q2 though. At least that is when I bought mine.

Yeah, the iPhone outsold the S3 in Q4

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I was more or less just looking for an overall US comparison, global would be interesting to see as well though.

I assumed that is how it tallied up, individual iphone model sells better than the next individual model. Choice can be a good thing though.

Thank you all

I'm in Australia so I'm not sure but I think that it's a lot closer in the US, maybe even in Apples favour.

Tom

whatsitsname

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Android will outsell iOS obviously since there are so many Android suppliers (htc, Samsung, Motorola, LG, and etc) vs one iOS supplier (Apple). With the sheer amount of competitions they are facing it's amazing that they have such a large a market share as they have.

Also it is hard to compare Apple with a direct competition because there really isn't any like them in the smartphone market currently. Only one comes to mind is Nokia when they were a full fledged Symbian smartphone.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I just got a notification this morning, from CNET, that Android has taken the lead again in the US.

Tom

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Likely the IM client is the same as OZ on Windows Mobile in that it is partially SMS based. In other words, it will only work on T-Mobile.

Looks like it's time for you to go peruse the android market!

Apple is different from Google because they are both a hardware and software firm. Google is mostly software, in fact they were 100% software before the recent introduction of the Nexus line.

I think Google's positioning is actually better than Apple in the long term. Why? Because if you really think about it, the consumer interacts mainly with Android, not the phone itself. The phone's screen is simply a representation of Android's UI. By making Android open source, Google was able to gain the majority marketshare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance