Is Near Field Communication the most onerous technology ever?

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
According to internationally known technology columnist John Dvorak, Near Field Communication is troublesome and warns against using it in this article, "iPhone Users Are About to Be Screwed Over."

I just bought my first SmartPhone last week. In comparing features of various phones, one of the main reasons I decided against an iPhone was because current models do not have NFC (plus the Galaxy S3 has a bigger screen and I do like the Android OS).

Though I haven't tried NFC yet, I was excited about it because I previously read that it's safer to use than giving others your credit card. And it certainly is convenient. After reading this article, I'm not so sure.

What do you think about NFC? Is it best to avoid using it?

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Umm? the article doesn't say a single thing about what's wrong with NFC. All it talks about is the aspirations of Bluetooth and some modem scam. Nothing about NFC in there.

And on a side note, why didn't you get the Nexus 4? :p

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Umm? the article doesn't say a single thing about what's wrong with NFC. All it talks about is the aspirations of Bluetooth and some modem scam. Nothing about NFC in there.

And on a side note, why didn't you get the Nexus 4? :p

Yes, he was talking about scams but I assumed he was talking about security issues.

I didn't get the Nexus 4 for two reasons: it is not accepted by my carrier (Verizon) and from all I read, the GS3 has a better camera, though I know not as good as iPhone or Nokia PureView cameras.

I originally thought about getting the N4 and going with StraightTalk, but everything I've read (including Consumers Report) is that Verizon has the most reliable cell phone service. At my age, reliability is more important than saving a few bucks. I'm on a shared plan with another family member.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
only really security issue with NFC, is the credit cards with a nfc chip in it. Saw a vid on a guy with a pad walks buy some1 and was able to get his credi card info from it.

Now this cant happen with a phone cause phone has to be unlocked for even nfc to work

mrmoe110

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I hate when people that try to predict the future always have a pessimistic view of things. That's what that article is about, to me. If the world was run by people like Dvorak we probably wouldn't even have cellphones period.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Just another guy that drones on and on without presenting a single bit of proof to support his claim. Doesn't say anything about why he thinks NFC is bad, article should just be deleted. lol

tewest86

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Being that you have Verizon, you can't use Google Wallet to pay for things with the NFC chip. I hope the store told you that when you purchased the phone.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Only reason I have ever used NFC is for Google Wallet.

Other than that I don't see it being too useful until a bigger % of devices have it. I can count on one hand the # of people I've come across with compatible NFC phones to "Beam" between.

The possibilities are cool, just not mainstream enough...yet.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Only reason I have ever used NFC is for Google Wallet.

Other than that I don't see it being too useful until a bigger % of devices have it. I can count on one hand the # of people I've come across with compatible NFC phones to "Beam" between.

The possibilities are cool, just not mainstream enough...yet.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

The nfc tags are useful though. Just a thought.

tewest86

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
U can side load it but u have to be rooted.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

He can. But he said this is his first art phone. Getting Google Wallet on an unsupported device and working correctly is a PITA. I went through it a few times. You run into so many problems.

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
But he said this is his first art phone. Getting Google Wallet on an unsupported device and working correctly is a PITA. I went through it a few times. You run into so many problems.

You are correct that this is my first smart phone. I have Google Wallet on my Nexus7 but have never used it.

But I'm not very savvy when it comes to understanding these things. I do not really understand sideloading and from what little I understand about rooting, it is not something I want to mess with.

I'm going to go to Best Buy today to return the Samsung Flip cover (forget it if you use your camera to take snapshots) and will ask more information about this issue. Thank you all for the input.

If I need to put in all the time I've had to do with messing with my phone book on my phone and on my car, forget it.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
With a nexus or Samsung rooting takes but 5 min to root and really isn't complicated at all and takes nothing but pressing a few keys. The closest comparison is like a pc. With our phones now its like we are on the guest profile which let's us do the basic customations and android abilities but rooting is giving yo phone administrative access with FULL abilities.

tewest86

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
With a nexus or Samsung rooting takes but 5 min to root and really isn't complicated at all and takes nothing but pressing a few keys. The closest comparison is like a pc. With our phones now its like we are on the guest profile which let's us do the basic customations and android abilities but rooting is giving yo phone administrative access with FULL abilities.

It's not the rooting. It's getting Google Wallet on and working correctly. I did it for the Note 2 and SGS3. It's not the easiest of things. Not really difficult but not easy. And not guaranteed to work.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
It's not the rooting. It's getting Google Wallet on and working correctly. I did it for the Note 2 and SGS3. It's not the easiest of things. Not really difficult but not easy. And not guaranteed to work.

My cuz has Google wallet on his att s3 with no issues at all we both use it at McDonald's

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I use NFC all the time. Quickly tapping things between my Nexus devices and my friends' Nexus 7's has never been more awesome.

Oh and Google Wallet is nice too. ;)

Imnutsnj

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
IMHO, NFC is a great feature to have. I set mine up for when I run errands to turn off wifi and to enable blue tooth. Now if I could find an NFC app that will allow me to toggle data it would be perfect.

Sent from my Jelly Bean flavored HTC DROID DNA