Any suggestions for Netflix streaming?

RazrMaxx1345

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Basically here is my problem. I have unlimited data on my phone. I get good 4g lte (Verizon) and I rack up quite a bit of data a month as it is. The reason is because I am screwed when it comes to a home connection. There is no cable to my house, no FiOS, and the DSL I had for many years was way too slow for streaming and dropped all of the time. I can't switch to someone like Spring (no coverage) and my satellite internet limited at 10gb a month is no use. I guess my question is, what would you do? Would you take your chances with Verizon and just run up the tethering? ( I think I could keep it at 60gb a month and still fully enjoy Netflix.) That's crazy GB usage though! I feel that they would come after me but I don't know how much they care. I know they can tell, so I don't like pushing my luck without at least knowing someone has done it before. I really wish I could just get a decent 5mbps connection to my house that wasn't limited but....I can't.

Thanks for any suggestions, help, its just frustrating. I want to use Netflix so bad but I can't!!!

For the record, right now I use about 20-30gb a month just from YouTube and stuff like that, but if I streamed Netflix I could cut that down to 10gb probably.

I know its a mildly off topic question, but I'm just out of ideas and venting a little. If nothing else thanks for listening.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Cut out most of the YouTube. You gotta figure though... one movie is gonna equal about one gb. There really isn't an easy solution for you. I'm sure you are near or at the center of Verizon's radar.

RazrMaxx1345

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
That's how I feel. I hate being "that guy" but I am SOL, its not like I have a perfectly good home need that I canceled to run up my phone data..
I even thought about having my friend a buck a month or something to use his Netflix 1-2 movies a month but even that is against their terms of service so its like I'm just adding to the pile... oh well I'll survive! I'll just go to his house more often!!!:)

And for the record movies are more like 2gb!! Thats my problem! If they were one I could swing it. But anyway....

I forgot to say, I do get free data usage on my satellite internet from 12 am to 5 am so if i had some program that could hold downloads until that time that would be nice. Then i could upload to youtube andupdate my apps when its free that way I could reserve most of my data for entertainment.
As far as I know though no such programs exist for windows or android. And I'm never up at midnight to start them!! Weekends sometimes...but....
Just food for thought

If nothing else, are their any settings on my phone or windows PC for that matter that I could set up to make me utilize that timeframe better?
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Ditto here. We had Hughsnet for a couple years and kept going over the limit and having to buy tokens just to get out of dial up speeds. We switched to Sprint OTA via hotspot. We have 12GB which we haven't gone over yet. I realize this won't really help you with 60GB+ usage. We don't have any other option either. Cable stops a half mile in 3 directions of us and have been told we will never get cable or FIOS. so our options are limited. When we moved here, the Internet was just a twinkling in the eye of the world, and Google wasn't even a word. so moving for fast Internet is not an option, lol. Good luck!

What?! ...I'm msndrstood.
via Gnex

RazrMaxx1345

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Ditto here. We had Hughsnet for a couple years and kept going over the limit and having to buy tokens just to get out of dial up speeds. We switched to Sprint OTA via hotspot. We have 12GB which we haven't gone over yet. I realize this won't really help you with 60GB+ usage. We don't have any other option either. Cable stops a half mile in 3 directions of us and have been told we will never get cable or FIOS. so our options are limited. When we moved here, the Internet was just a twinkling in the eye of the world, and Google wasn't even a word. so moving for fast Internet is not an option, lol. Good luck!

via Gnex

That is, to the letter my situation! Are you my neighbor!!
That's what kills me, cable stops half a mile in both directions ish too. And it would be like 4 grand to get it to my house. I'm not that desperate!

My plan now is trying to utilize the free nighttime internet as much as I can for updates and stuff and just going from there.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I'll just keep it real; here are your options.

1. Use your Verizon LTE connection.
2. Pay the cable company to run the line to your house.
3. Move to a new house.
4. Don't use Netflix or any streaming service.

RazrMaxx1345

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I'll just keep it real; here are your options.

1. Use your Verizon LTE connection.
2. Pay the cable company to run the line to your house.
3. Move to a new house.
4. Don't use Netflix or any streaming service.

I know!
Number 4 is my choice!

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
That is, to the letter my situation! Are you my neighbor!!
That's what kills me, cable stops half a mile in both directions ish too. And it would be like 4 grand to get it to my house. I'm not that desperate!

My plan now is trying to utilize the free nighttime internet as much as I can for updates and stuff and just going from there.

I think Hughsnet has a download manager that can be used to schedule downloads but I think you have to configure it via a desktop or laptop. Look on the Hughsnet dashboard. I deleted mine when I ditched Hughsnet, so I'm not sure if it's still there, but it used to be.

via Gnex

RazrMaxx1345

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I think Hughsnet has a download manager that can be used to schedule downloads but I think you have to configure it via a desktop or laptop. Look on the Hughsnet dashboard. I deleted mine when I ditched Hughsnet, so I'm not sure if it's still there, but it used to be.

via Gnex

I don't have Hughes net
But that would help me a lot if my provider does have that. Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums