Will Samsung eventually ditch Android?

swaxolez

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious what others think. To me, I see Samsung growing more and more independent of the Android OS. They are creating apps that they could eventually and easily port to their own OS. Currently they are beholden to Google only for the OS but I think soon (next couple of years) they will try to emulate the same experience on their own OS. In fact, I think they are watching what Blackberry is doing with their Android Runtime. If Blackberry is successful in smoothly running a vast amount of Android apps then I think Samsung could use the same tactic to branch out with their own OS. I currently own the Z10 and am pretty impressed with the Android Runtime even though its only Gingerbread at the moment but for developers it makes it really easy to repackage for another OS. Some of the Android apps seem to work better on the Z10 then they did on my S3 so the ability is there to have a transparent runtime that works very well.

Samsung wants their own app and media store IMO. The revenue from these services is simply to much to continue to ignore. Samsung has made money on the hardware, which is really hard to do, and are clearly the winner in this regard. But that will only bring you so far. Tis the nature of the beast - companies just want to continue to grow at all costs.

I have to admit, I love what Google created and I get a little ticked off that another company is milking Google for their hard work and openness. I'm not naive and realize Google is doing well with Samsung at the moment - but mark my words, the honeymoon is over. Samsung will betray Android in the near future.

sashlon

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Well, its interesting that throughout their big S4 event, they only used the word 'Android' once. Having seen some demos of Tizan, I think they're prepping for taking a shot at going it alone. I think they stand a better chance of succeeding than others because of their position in the market. I'm sure they'd be able to get developers to work with them. If next year they launched the Samsung Galaxy S5 running Tizan, with Touchwiz over the top, and a decent app and content offering (Samsung Hub?), I think it'd stand an excellent chance of doing very well. I even wonder if the non techie/geeky user would even notice the difference.

I think, despite what was said at the time, Google had this scenario in mind when they bought Motorola. It wouldn't surprise me if the 'Droid X Phone' is aimed directly at Samsung. Android as a whole might be better off without Samsung. Its not like they do anything to promote Android. They only ever highlight their own features.

It'll be interesting to watch.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Last edited:

RazrMaxx1345

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious what others think. To me, I see Samsung growing more and more independent of the Android OS. They are creating apps that they could eventually and easily port to their own OS. Currently they are beholden to Google only for the OS but I think soon (next couple of years) they will try to emulate the same experience on their own OS. In fact, I think they are watching what Blackberry is doing with their Android Runtime. If Blackberry is successful in smoothly running a vast amount of Android apps then I think Samsung could use the same tactic to branch out with their own OS. I currently own the Z10 and am pretty impressed with the Android Runtime even though its only Gingerbread at the moment but for developers it makes it really easy to repackage for another OS. Some of the Android apps seem to work better on the Z10 then they did on my S3 so the ability is there to have a transparent runtime that works very well.

Samsung wants their own app and media store IMO. The revenue from these services is simply to much to continue to ignore. Samsung has made money on the hardware, which is really hard to do, and are clearly the winner in this regard. But that will only bring you so far. Tis the nature of the beast - companies just want to continue to grow at all costs.

I have to admit, I love what Google created and I get a little ticked off that another company is milking Google for their hard work and openness. I'm not naive and realize Google is doing well with Samsung at the moment - but mark my words, the honeymoon is over. Samsung will betray Android in the near future.

I feel the same way but I think as someone said that Google has a smart plan with Motorola.

They need a phone in their back pocket so to speak so they can directly compete againstt Samsung if need be. The new JB update is so similar to stock android it just goes to show that Google is trying to ease people into this change.....a changed that I welcome. Let Samsung do there thing but one day Google will carry its big stick, throw down some nice Motorola branded devices, market the crap out of them and crush Samsung in their own greed. Google is too strong IMO to fall to the hands of Samsung. They are a threat though no doubt.

If it does come to that, on what side will you be?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Let Samsung do there thing but one day Google will carry its big stick, throw down some nice Motorola branded devices, market the crap out of them and crush Samsung in their own greed. Google is too strong IMO to fall to the hands of Samsung.

I would hope so, but Google is in a tricky position of not wanting to alienate all other Android device manufacturers. If Google pushes their devices with the same fervor as Samsung, that may well become an issue.

Google's, without a doubt. I have much more invested in Google's services and platform (Android) than I have any sort of support or devotion for Samsung's continued Android market dominance. As an enthusiast, I enjoy the Nexus line more than I do Samsung's phones and tablets. As a designer and developer I have great respect for Google's vision for Android (see the Android Design Guidelines), and much less favorable opinions of Samsung's software and hardware decisions.

helloyo53

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site

As of right now, I'm a supporter for Samsung simply because I enjoy the design of their products a lot more. I'm sending this message from my Samsung Note 10.1 right now for example. I love the S pen features on my tablet and I love the sheer size of my Note 2.

THAT BEING SAID: If Samsung here to roll out their Own OS and leave Google in the dust, I feel like I would definitely make the switch to Google's products. I've always loved Android OS so any future products would be Google. I know that probably sounds silly, and if it weren't for the fact that I JUST bought the Note 2 and Note 10.1, I would likely be a bigger supporter of Google. We will just have to wait and see .

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I agree that we will have to wait and see. I don't see Samsung standing on a stage next year and saying "we are going our own way" instead they may start investing in another direction like the stated Tizen and see what happens. If that investment starts to grow they may gradually move more development initiatives to that platform. It would be a gradual movement.

This is why it is in Google's interest to maintain it's Motorola Company. Looking at their recent software offerings we see closer movement towards Google's stock android look and I think this is no accident. The release of the Chrome Pixel shows that Google is able to release a premium hardware offering, so they may be able to do so with Motorola if the need arises.

Some complaints about Moto seem to be their "Blur" skin and to some extent their phone design. The Blur skin is gradually being replaced by Google's stock look thanks to Matius D(poor spelling but you know who I mean) so that leaves improvement to their psychical design although I don't think there is anything wrong with their build quality. So the next step would be for them to improve their physical specs. Give us an eye popping screen LCD, LCD3..whatever, give us a great phone shell design - something innovative--give us options---give us a phone built with metal and glass with copper accents, also offer the same phone with less costly materials, so that everyone can experience your phone.

So if Samsung leaves Android....let them...and Google be prepared with Moto to move in and reap the field. No need to be transparent about this now but when and if the time comes be ready to pounce.

The beauty of this is that Google can still offer value phones on Google play while offering higher end products through Moto....Win/Win situation.

Just my Google/Moto thoughts of the night, after drinking champagne and wine with dinner!

nyry

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I think, if anything, Samsung is going to steer away from android in spirit. They will continue to use Android OS but instead make the UI different and enhance the features of their products so much so, that samsung wants peope to not look at their devices as android handsets, instead look at them as samsung phones with a samsung experience that happens to be running android. :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Evoken

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site

Definitely Google's.

As far as Samsung goes, I don't think they will ditch Android any time soon. What is happening and we'll see more of as time goes on is that Google's services will be driven further into the background by Samsung as they push for their own alternative solutions. It is clear that Samsung is pulling an Apple, so to speak, from their recent Galaxy S4 presentation:

- S-Drive instead of Google Maps
- S-Voice as an assistant instead of Google Now
- S-Translate instead of Google Translate
- Their own store for music, apps and movies instead of Google Play
- Their own cloud solution instead of Google Music or Drive

Samsung is seeking to replace all these things that Android comes with built in for their own alternatives in their devices. At this point they are not really complementing Android/Google but effectively replacing it with their own brand. I am sure this has not escaped Google's notice and that they can't be to thrilled with the idea of Samsung trying to lure people to use their apps and services as opposed to Google's. The main reason for Android is to get people using Google's apps and services, which allows them to collect data, which in turn allows them to better target ads and keep their search/advertisement businesses profitable. But Samsung's has been seeking to undermine this model as of late and by the looks of it will only continue to do so, which will end up with either them forking Android (like Amazon) or continuing to replicate Google's services with their own so much that Samsung's success will not necessarily equate to a success for Android/Google.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I think, if anything, Samsung is going to steer away from android in spirit. They will continue to use Android OS but instead make the UI different and enhance the features of their products so much so, that samsung wants peope to not look at their devices as android handsets, instead look at them as samsung phones with a samsung experience that happens to be running android. :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Customizing Android is very much in the spirit of Android.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't Samsung already have an app store? I remember having to download something like that in order to get the app for the soccer team I like (Chelsea, they're sponsored by Samsung). Samsung has definitely emerged as one of the leaders in Android and I'm not entirely sure that they need Google. I could see them trying to get away from Android and Google Play so that they could bring in a bigger share of the revenue that their own app/content store would provide.