Why I'm leaving Apple

anon(4697585)

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I've owned an iPhone since its launch in 2007. Back then it was leaps and bounds ahead of any competitor and a huge step up from my Samsung U700 slide phone.
For me it defined the term 'smartphone' although looking back now it's hardly smart compared to today standards.

It was beautifully styled, had a great operating system and was extremely fast. Of course this is all at the time.

Things have changed in 6 years

I'll start with the hardware!
Apple hardware is beautiful. There's no denying the feel of the device in your hands is one of quality and care.
A great deal of effort was put in to making a phone that feels like it's worth something.
In my own opinion HTC and the new BB Z10 comes a close second but unfortunately Samsung has always lacked in this department.

At this stage I'm talking purely about their feel not how they look.
The S3 and Note 2 feel cheap compared to the iPhone 5.
In terms of look however I prefer the S3 to any of them but that alone is not enough and isn't easily debatable as its down to the individual.

The insides of these devices is much the same. Having a dual/quad/octa-core processor is all well and good but in a real world environment it means very little to me and many wont really notice.

Apples camera has always been a let down but until recently I've not really taken many photos. The Samsung S3 wins this contest by far from what I've seen.

I'm not going to go in to too much detail about battery as its highly reliant on the software use which can't easily be compared. All i'll say is none of them are good enough yet!

It's where we move on to software we see the true innovators.
Back in 2007 Apple where in charge, they took the single screen menu we were all comfortable with from our Nokia 3310 era and pushed us towards home screens. Of course they didn't invent this concept, they just made it the standard we all come to expect today besides the very unique Windows Mobile Tiles system.

Apple introduced iOS and stuck with the same style since. It worked for a while but 6 years later it's become a little dated. Yes we've had the App Store, Siri, iCloud and a few limited customisation options but for the most part it's one new feature a year and it's usually plagued with starter problems and normally there's an app that has done it for much longer and usually better.

Until recently none of this ever bothered me, it was safe, it worked with my iPad and various laptops and everyone knows how it works.

Googles Android jumped in to the world properly in 2009 with the dessert based operating systems. As a stand alone OS it didn't scream out at me and even today it still wouldn't get my vote without the little twists Samsung and HTC put on top of it.

It's when we compare the little differences in both hardware and software Apple begins to look a little foolish.

Ill start with NFC, the feature I'm most excited about gaining.
By itself it's boring but add a little genius from a few devs and we've a little gem hidden beneath the surface just waiting to be exploited.
I expected Apple to at least add the chip to the iPhone 5 with a stock app for payments but nothing because it 'wasn't what users want'
Oh how wrong they were. Just type NFC in to YouTube and have a look at how many tutorials there are with phones being utilised.

We then look at how 'free' Android users are. I can only compare myself on an iPhone 4S to my friends on Android on the S3. When I say custom I mean different wallpaper. When they say it I thought it was just wallpaper and a few widgets.
It's now I realise how little I knew about the S3... You can do anything u want from setting default apps to changing entire system functions like the keyboard.

Recently a friend wasn't getting his messages through. On iOS that would require either a reboot or a restore... He just downloaded an app and continued as normal, no looking back.

I could continue to go on but the bottom line is that ill be upgrading my 4S to the GS4 on launch day.

There is an ideal world and that's Android on an iPhone but that won't happen and Apple themselves won't catch up anytime soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Welcome. Hay to see someone else leave the dark side

My only advice is to understand that android DOES NOT work the same way as iOS. It's not a lesser product, just different.

Oh and the tethering, it's so much easier to activate on android, you pull down from the menu and tap the hot spot. Waaaaaaaay easier than ios.

A few more things are just easier on android (settings, closing all apps are all faster on android).

Get used to it and you'll see android is the actual most advanced mobile operating system, not iOS.

Start fresh and unlearn what ios taught you lol.

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Nice to see you joining Android's side.

I would never use an Apple product but for people who like them and wanna use them at least they work well enough at what they do.

anon(4697585)

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
My biggest issue is the not doing anything even remotely risky. Looks at the S4. Eye capture and air gestures isn't an innovation nor is it likely to be used for anything besides a gimmick but they put it there because they know people will use and enjoy it, they could have just bumped the processor and a few little things and cut costs right down but no, they made an effort to be the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
The terms innovation and gimmicks are thrown around a lot lately, for some dumb reason whenever Samsung is mentioned it's always gimmick that's used which is ignorant. There is so much grey area between what is innovative and what is gimmicky that I don't take either term seriously anymore, they're overused.

jrb363

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
That is an exceptionally long post but you hit the nail on the head! My wife switched to a Note 2 last weekend and I am impatiently waiting the arrival of the S4, HTC One, LG G Pro, etc to make the move to Android. Apple has been stagnant for far too long in my opinion and I am ready for something that allows me to grow as a consumer. Unfortunately for Apple no matter how pretty or solid the hardware is the software provides opportunities for growth. Looks like they will continue to lose customers who have 'outgrown' the iPhone until they start implementing true changes in iOS.

technohippo

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
i agree, i dislike apple for what it does to make money. Although I saw an interview with Jonathan Ive, and he seemed to love designing and creating products, he didnt seem to want to rip anyone off

- - - Updated - - -

i agree, i dislike apple for what it does to make money. Although I saw an interview with Jonathan Ive, and he seemed to love designing and creating products, he didnt seem to want to rip anyone off

crackberries

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I jumped ship last fall from Android to an iPhone 5. Big mistake. I had a few sore spots with Android back then and I know they're still unresolved, but my iPhone is limited to what it can do and I find myself struggling to get things done both personally and professionally. I'm going back to Android as soon as the S4 is out, or maybe I'll look at the DNA or One if it comes to VZW. Either way, my wife lovers her iPhone and I've grown to hate mine after 5 months or so. OP made all the right points though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463